Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What's Everyone having for dinner tonight?

Duck terrine and Laurent Perrier cuvee rose followed buy guinea fowl washed down with Gevrey Chambertin Louis Latour 2016. Now enjoying a pisco or two...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My partner cooked an Indian chicken curry on Tuesday (always enough for four meals). So it was the leftovers tonight with naan & rice! Yummy. 

• Like 2

Chefs surprise dinner at an Asian fusion restaurant with trendy purple lighting and too beautiful people ( me not included). So basically i have no clue..

Homemade Olive breadsticks; Chicken & Chorizo Pasta bake; I'll Caffè Latte with Mulberry Frangiapan; Primitive wine.

Just the usual snack.

3 hours ago, Boomer54 said:

Homemade Olive breadsticks; Chicken & Chorizo Pasta bake; I'll Caffè Latte with Mulberry Frangiapan; Primitive wine.

Just the usual snack.

On second thoughts it could have just been a Primitive Primitivo as not the best example I have drunk.

We’ll be finishing off the Chicken Noodle, Lemon Grass broth that I made yesterday, with its added carrots, red pepper, red chillies, ginger, star anise, celery, leeks, pak choi, spring onions, mushrooms, garlic and soy sauce….. before it combusts spontaneously.

• Haha 2

On 4/12/2024 at 4:03 PM, LenT said:

We’ll be finishing off the Chicken Noodle, Lemon Grass broth that I made yesterday, with its added carrots, red pepper, red chillies, ginger, star anise, celery, leeks, pak choi, spring onions, mushrooms, garlic and soy sauce….. before it combusts spontaneously.

Sounds quite nice.

• Like 1

After reading this thread I concluded that  Mrs Beeton must be turning in her grave.  Whatever happened to good old traditional British fare?

8 minutes ago, Rabbers said:

Whatever happened to good old traditional British fare?

Quite right, Renato!

Nothing wrong with our traditional chicken tikka masala…or a four seasons pizza!  😊

6 minutes ago, LenT said:

Nothing wrong with our traditional chicken tikka masala…or a four seasons pizza!  😊

Not a question of right and wrong, but rather of gastronomic and cultural purity.  VFR got it right in his first post about baked beans on toast (although, if I think about it, the connection with Heinz might well introduce an element of doubt as regards national identity).

• Like 1

Anything except Paella again, it’s the Spanish equivalent of a bag of chips, every mouthful tastes the same, you always get to much and you end up leaving some

IMG_0099.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

Anything except Paella again, it’s the Spanish equivalent of a bag of chips, every mouthful tastes the same, you always get to much and you end up leaving some

I always think that paella is just for people who like stirring things up.  😊

Tut-tut, Len.  Paella should never be stirred but, as any (pedantic) valenciano will tell you, merely shaken using the paellera’s side-handles.

• Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Rabbers said:

Tut-tut, Len.  Paella should never be stirred but, as any (pedantic) valenciano will tell you, merely shaken using the paellera’s side-handles.

You’re quite right Renato.  I confused it with risotto for the sake of a joke!  🙁

Paella - like the best martinis - should be shaken, not stirred.

So what I invariably end up occasionally making is a risotto.  Primarily because I don’t have the right paella rice or - more significantly - a paella pan.

The latter omission is due to MrsT’s forceful observation that at our age one thing we don’t need is a new pan in the kitchen that’ll be used once and end up in the back of a cupboard!😡

• Like 1

The different ways in which rice is cooked in various culinary traditions could well be a useful subject for a PhD thesis. Suffice it to say, in the present context, that connoisseurs of risotto consider dishes like paella, pilafs, pulau/biryani and the like, in which the rice is left to take care of itself, to be barbaric.  
As regards MrsT’s observation, it could be said that her tendency in late career to use metaphors rather than direct statements to explain non-actions marked, alas, the beginning of the end of an otherwise glorious reign.

• Haha 1

Dont underestimate the power of food. Connoisseurs of risotto likewise paella are to be found in every region and all claim their way of cooking is the original best and forget about the rest. This runs deep. Remember Jamie Oliver some years ago? He published his Paella recipe and the highest diplomatic circles were working overtime to prevent Spain from declaring war! 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Rabbers said:

Yes as having lived in the area for quite a few years (my email will endorse that) and having cooked it for a group of local friends (but never grand mullouscous) I tend to agree..

Like anything, it might be great there but never the 

same here. (Wherever that may be)

9 hours ago, VFR said:

Like anything, it might be great there but never the 

same here. (Wherever that may be)

I feel the same about ouzo.

I’ve enjoyed many a bottle in Greece, but have rarely drunk it in Northamptonshire.  🙁

13 hours ago, dutchie01 said:

Remember Jamie Oliver some years ago? He published his Paella recipe and the highest diplomatic circles were working overtime to prevent Spain from declaring war! 

I also recall his mentor, Genaro Contaldo, attracting considerable opprobrium for demonstrating various different recipes for spaghetti carbonara on YouTube!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links