Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hello guys,

Two weeks ago I got a message on the dash that the engine oil is low it was like a prompt and then vanished and I didn't pay any attention but today I got this message again and was there for longer time that the engine oil is low, now two and half months to go for my annual service and I don't drive it a lot so kinda confuse what's happening? has anyone had this thing too? any advice is sincerely appreciated 🙂

Thanks.

I had this in my RCF 3-4 times during 2 years ownership. No reason for that, during cruise.

It always disappeared very quickly, after few seconds. I checked oil level and it was fine.

I guess it can be an oil level sensor fault. Take a picture and try to chase Lexus for warranty repair:)

I asked Lexus about this issue and they told me that if nothing is on display when the car was with them then no fault... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DamianLEX said:

I had this in my RCF 3-4 times during 2 years ownership. No reason for that, during cruise.

It always disappeared very quickly, after few seconds. I checked oil level and it was fine.

I guess it can be an oil level sensor fault. Take a picture and try to chase Lexus for warranty repair:)

I asked Lexus about this issue and they told me that if nothing is on display when the car was with them then no fault... 

Yes first time it was disappeared in a few seconds but today it took at least 5 minutes to disappear.

I will check the engine oil level tomorrow before starting the engine and will chase it with the local Lexus.

Sometimes I think Lexus is a self curing brand. I remember to have once a BDSM error in RCF until I started engine again. Error disappeared and never occurred again. Mystery:)

• Haha 2

Hi Hatat...

Do you have access to your service book or manual. Under oil/top up there might be a small section explaining how much is acceptable to lose every 1000 miles.

I've had more than one car now (at least 2 were Subarus 3.0L Spec B petrol) that came with a little card explaining that I could lose x amount over 1000 miles. Hence a good idea keeping an eye on the levels and also investigating how much oil loss is acceptable.

Might be it's a few 100ml of oil short so at certain angles/times it's sending the low oil signals up. Hope you get it sorted (I know I'd be tempted to check the oil and if at the low mark/tolerance level when cold, to just top it up by a smidgen).

*Smidgen being 200 to 300ml.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Redefined said:

Hi Hatat...

Do you have access to your service book or manual. Under oil/top up there might be a small section explaining how much is acceptable to lose every 1000 miles.

I've had more than one car now (at least 2 were Subarus 3.0L Spec B petrol) that came with a little card explaining that I could lose x amount over 1000 miles. Hence a good idea keeping an eye on the levels and also investigating how much oil loss is acceptable.

Might be it's a few 100ml of oil short so at certain angles/times it's sending the low oil signals up. Hope you get it sorted (I know I'd be tempted to check the oil and if at the low mark/tolerance level when cold, to just top it up by a smidgen).

*Smidgen being 200 to 300ml.

I checked the dipstick this morning and yeh it's low so will top up a litre 🙂

• Sad 1

Check it regularly so you can get a feel for it going down, how fast it's going down etc. 

Unless you're checking it on a hill (as said above), if the car is older could be perishing seals in a number of places with a fairly costly job to get it fixed due to all the things that usually need to come apart. 

If it's a newer car, it could be something that needs fixing under warranty. Bought a two year old Fiat Panda in 2019 and noticed a lot of wet spots under the engine, turned out it needed some sot of big seal replaced. Done under warranty, no arguing (rare for a Fiat dealer!).  Perhaps something like that is why it's dropping?  

• Thanks 1

Why not go with 500ml (I assume on the 500h its about 6L on a full oil renewal with filter) and take for a drive. Then check the disptick is on the higher mark when oils hot. If not another 200ml until you reach it.

Flat surface obviously and hope the light stops doing that. I always think that slightly less oil is better than overfilled... Excess pressures and blown seals/gaskets and all that.

16 hours ago, Redefined said:

at least 2 were Subarus 3.0L Spec B petrol) that came with a little card explaining that I could lose x amount over 1000 miles

Great car the Spec B, though I didn't get a card from the previous owner.

Mine hasn't used any oil in 10k miles and it seems to stay very clean.  The previous owner (since new) was fastidious with his maintenance, so It looks like I have a good one.

• Like 1

@MNMJ agreed. So lovely especially the estate. Used to use mine for sleeping between shifts. Alas, they never quite made the 200,000 mark (all 4 of them). But, I did put close to 150,000 on em in total probably. So lovely and lively to drive.

On Monday whilst getting to work in Machynlleth Wales, a road closure meant I took a mountain road. First car trying to pass me and me trying to tuck in, I almost never managed to continue the drive up. The Subaru never had that problem 😍

On 4/18/2024 at 3:17 PM, Redefined said:

Why not go with 500ml (I assume on the 500h its about 6L on a full oil renewal with filter) and take for a drive. Then check the disptick is on the higher mark when oils hot. If not another 200ml until you reach it.

Flat surface obviously and hope the light stops doing that. I always think that slightly less oil is better than overfilled... Excess pressures and blown seals/gaskets and all that.

9 to 9.3 litres on a full oil/filter change on a RCF

• Like 1

My oil light use to come on in between services …but only as I pulled into my driveway…. Long steep driveway 😜 …. I now make a point of adding a litre or more in between services

IMG_5378.jpeg

On 4/19/2024 at 7:03 PM, mr2lad said:

My oil light use to come on in between services …but only as I pulled into my driveway…. Long steep driveway 😜 …. I now make a point of adding a litre or more in between services

IMG_5378.jpeg

Initially, I thought you were blocking the whole street, and it is your driveway hell yeah :)))

• Haha 1

On 4/20/2024 at 9:56 PM, MNMJ said:

That's one hell of a driveway

It is actually longer …im about a 1/3 of the way up it when i took the photo

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links