Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

First Lexus, looking to buy an IS250 2007-2010

I keep looking at this 2010 SE-L model: https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202405109566242

It's in Brum but the seller is really dodgie, his other listings are weird af, having pictures from other sellers, weird or no description at all, reviews on google saying mostly things like, the car is kaput after bringing it home and they won't allow test drives and won't give back your deposit, also they seem to be really rude to people buying cars under £10k. I'd love to check on carvertical but £30 for a check when I don't even have the money to buy the car, is quite a lot atm and there's no point in buying the report, for someone else to buy the car.

Let me know what you guys think. Considering their reputation, I'd buy it for around £3.200 but it's obvious they wouldn't take it.

Only commenting on the car itself..
the MOT History looks okay, a couple of failures for headlight alignment and a blown tyre. Nothing standout warning signs.

Mileage looks okay, it;s clearly been a daily driver with reasonable jumps between MOTs.

The garage though, thats a different matter. Unlikely you would get any kind of warranty worth the paper it is written on, even small claims and the law on your side won't help get your money back if it turs out to be a lemon.

Personally, I'd keep looking (and black cars are a swine to keep looking good, worse colour ever, mines black!).

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, chr15gb said:

Only commenting on the car itself..
the MOT History looks okay, a couple of failures for headlight alignment and a blown tyre. Nothing standout warning signs.

Mileage looks okay, it;s clearly been a daily driver with reasonable jumps between MOTs.

The garage though, thats a different matter. Unlikely you would get any kind of warranty worth the paper it is written on, even small claims and the law on your side won't help get your money back if it turs out to be a lemon.

Personally, I'd keep looking (and black cars are a swine to keep looking good, worse colour ever, mines black!).

Thanks for chipping in. I can't seem to find anything within my £3.500 budget, especially within a  80-90k miles but by the time I have all the money ready I'm hoping something else will pop up. I'm really praying I'll be able to find a 2008+ SE-L model, I fell in love with those.

I've only had black or dark grey cars and besides the normal dust which can be easily rinsed off, I find it easier to keep clean. Now I have a white Insignia and my god everything sticks to it and it shows, as dirt and filth aren't white lol.

30 minutes ago, DnG said:

So the fuel pump is something I should be conscious about?

So:

• Fuel pump
  • Spark plugs
  • Calipers/slider pins

I know these don't need to be changed frequently and they do need to be changed on any car but I'm trying to figure out how much extra I need to have on the side for repairs, as I'm the most unlucky person I know and what can go wrong will go wrong during my first few days with the car so I'd rather be prepared than have the car sitting while my salary comes in and I pray nothing else urgent requires my finances.

About the brakes, do all the parts from the rear brake caliper need to be greased or just the slider pins? I wish I had somewhere do to work on the car but I can only spare 1-2 hours and that's on a rare occasion when my road is empty and I have the whole cul-de-sac to myself.

Spark plugs are just maintenance thing and to be fair they never really fail, but past 60k miles (or it may be 90k, need to remind myself) they just don't work as efficiently as they should. Real life consequences perhaps few extra % of emissions and negligible amount of fuel.

Fuel pump is more of lottery thing, they sometimes just give-up after 10 or so years, it is not massively common, but it results in "crank no-start" scenario which can be tricky to diagnose and could happen out of the blue with no warning, also if the car gets towed to dealership the repair bill could be £600-800 (mostly diagnostics and labour, part itself ~£300, I also heard you can get just the pump and take it apart and put it back together for ~£80, but further research is required to get exact pump needed).

On the callipers the pins needs cleaning and greasing, mostly as preventative maintenance (so that they don't get rusty), there is also pin at the bottom which likes to rust, so all around cleaning is required. Also IS250 in general like to chew trough brakes (expect to replace front disks together with second set of pads), they are kind of undersized, so popular upgrade is the set of front callipers from GS300/IS350. So the fronts just wear our and the rears likes to seize and rust. All in all, this is not sort of issue that will leave you stranded, but more maintenance intense than would be ideal. I think key issue is that workshop manual does not require any of that to be cleaned or greased during the service, so they get neglected. That said Lexus are happy to replace whole calliper for ~£280, so the way they see it - "no need to grease, just replace whole thing every 3 years or so". Which in grand scheme of things not horrible as far as car ownership cost goes. But doing a little bit of your own maintenance in principle can save you ~£1000 every 3 years/30,000 miles.

The cars currently on sale are likely to have rusted out exhaust, but that is just reality of getting 10+ years car with 100k+ miles, hopefully it has failed and was replaced before you get it, but if not then that is probably one area I would check... apart of service history. Electrical problems can be tricky on these cars, but usually they don't just happen, usually it is result of some d-head messing something-up.

Also, this is small one, but make sure it has both keys, key replacement £500, so that is not something you can get easily.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, DnG said:

I've heard about that, is that actually a thing? Are the 2007 models still that picky? I might as well save up and get a 2009-2010 model lol

I did some research and it seems that the MK2 has problems with the following:

• 1 specific VVTi problem
  • water pump
  • brake calipers stuck
  • the engine slushing up

Are these something I should be actively looking for when I see one? Is there a way to check for the VVTi problems?

That was a really good read, a lot of info thanks.

My mechanic mainly works on JDMs like GTRs (the 2k BHP full carbon GTR, if you're around Birmingham or just heard of it, that's his), Skylines and Hondas/Lexus', even he advised me to get an IS250, so that shouldn't be a problem. Now, you said that parts and repairs are expensive.. Uff.. I've only heard good things about that, cheap parts and what not, I already have a german money pit, wouldn't want a japanese one as well, but damn I love the car and I want one.

I've been mainly looking at SE-Ls as everyone recommends them and I like the wood trim, reminds me of my dad's old Mercedes. Also, I was a bit let down by the fact that only the 2010 upwards has folding mirrors but if you say they can be retrofitted, I'm all in. I've already retroffited most of the things that can be on my BMW and my dad's car, so I guess a 2005 - 2007 would do. Problem is, some 2005 seem to not be clean air zone tax exempt in Birmingham which is bs, if I check 2 2005 is250, one is exempt and the other isn't so I'd have to look at a 2006-2007 model. Insurance is also a b*ch, for a 2010 model insurance is around £1.800 and for a 2005 it's £3.200 !!, so I'm limited by my budget, availability of the SE-L model in good shape, insurance and the bs clean air zone tax... Hopefully, in 2-3 months time after I save some money up, a decent one will pop up for sale. There is a 2010 model, black, really clean looking at a garage in Birmingham but the things I heard about them and their reviews, really put me off, they don't let you test drive, they want a deposit they won't give back, just to see the car, someone had their car on fire after a few days, most cars from them seem to sh*t themselves after they leave the lot.

Also, I keep seeing the the word "FLSH", what exactly does that mean?

MY 2009 HAS FOLDING MIRRORS

• Like 1

So does my 2008.

Its a little button on the window control panel on the drivers door. They don't auto fold on lock, you have to push the button to fold/unfold.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, markeyszoo said:

MY 2009 HAS FOLDING MIRRORS

It is auto-folding that is being discussed, all Lexus IS from 2005 to 2012 has folding mirrors.

38 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

It is auto-folding that is being discussed, all Lexus IS from 2005 to 2012 has folding mirrors.

Can that not be coded in?

Also, I really like the turn indicators on the side mirrors, is that something that can be retrofitted on older models?

18 minutes ago, DnG said:

Also, I really like the turn indicators on the side mirrors, is that something that can be retrofitted on older models?

Everything can be done. It's not plug & play, but it can be done.

25 minutes ago, DnG said:

no, auto-folding requires electrical module.

indicators on the mirror can be done, perhaps will need new mirrors and custom wiring, but in principle possible.

That said if those things are something you really want, then it will be cheaper just to get facelifted car e.g. for SEL heated, auto-dimming mirror you are looking to pay £150 each... + all custom wiring etc. time and effort, let's say £500 to retrofit mirrors with indicators, so you better off just buying newer car for £500 more. 

7 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

no, auto-folding requires electrical module.

indicators on the mirror can be done, perhaps will need new mirrors and custom wiring, but in principle possible.

That said if those things are something you really want, then it will be cheaper just to get facelifted car e.g. for SEL heated, auto-dimming mirror you are looking to pay £150 each... + all custom wiring etc. time and effort, let's say £500 to retrofit mirrors with indicators, so you better off just buying newer car for £500 more. 

I'm trying to see how doable are the things I like on the newer model, on the old model in case I can't find one within my budget. I don't mind doing the wiring since I've pretty much done a lot of custom electrical work on my other car + some of my friends cars (subs/amps, underglows, custom LED elements, auxilliary fuse panels etc).

23 minutes ago, H3XME said:

Everything can be done. It's not plug & play, but it can be done.

How much did it cost you to do the 3IS conversion? I'm really interested in that once I get the car. Is there a difference in installation/price on the 2005-2007 cars vs the 2008+?

Just now, DnG said:

How much did it cost you to do the 3IS conversion? I'm really interested in that once I get the car. Is there a difference in installation/price on the 2005-2007 cars vs the 2008+?

I paid around £600 for the bumper, painted and fitted it myself. Installation process is the same on all years.

• Like 1

Ok so I had a look on facebook marketplace, I never used marketplace, haven't used facebook in years if I think about it. But I'm seeing a lot of IS250s for under £2.500, even the 3IS for around £2.200. Is there something I'm missing? Is there some unspoken rule you have to know when looking at facebook marketplace ads?

EDIT:

I think they're just fake or some scam. 3 out of 4 ads have the same description and the people selling them have 100+ cars listed

• Sad 1

50 minutes ago, DnG said:

EDIT:

I think they're just fake or some scam. 3 out of 4 ads have the same description and the people selling them have 100+ cars listed

well you figured it out... 

£2500 for IS250, not unrealistic, but I have found many cars on fb marketplace to have undeclared write-offs and just generally worse quality compared to Autotrader.

IS300h for some reason are really popular for scams on FB, not sure why, maybe because people don't know them, but they look decent and putting one for £5000 doesn't look immediately suspicious for people who do not follow the car values and furthermore don't know what Lexus is. But yes - any of those below ~£8,000-£9,000 are scams.  Not even sure how they work, but my assumption would be asking for deposit to be transferred before car can be viewed and then disappearing. I tried to contact few scammers there just to understand how they work, but they simply never responded, so don't know how big is the scam. Also - FB completely ignores those scams and allows them to exist, I have reported like 10 adds that were clearly scam and got response "we can't see anything wrong with them". Yeah sure - 2019 IS300h F-Sport with 55,000 miles for £4,500 is obviously "legit deal". 

37 minutes ago, DAN@ADRIAN FLUX said:

Hi.

If you need any help with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line.

Regards,

Dan.

Sorry but I already have a quote from AXA for £1.800 with my 5 years of NCD from EU. I doubt you could offer a better deal especially with my postcode and lack of previous insurance in UK. Thanks anyway

5 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

well you figured it out... 

£2500 for IS250, not unrealistic, but I have found many cars on fb marketplace to have undeclared write-offs and just generally worse quality compared to Autotrader.

IS300h for some reason are really popular for scams on FB, not sure why, maybe because people don't know them, but they look decent and putting one for £5000 doesn't look immediately suspicious for people who do not follow the car values and furthermore don't know what Lexus is. But yes - any of those below ~£8,000-£9,000 are scams.  Not even sure how they work, but my assumption would be asking for deposit to be transferred before car can be viewed and then disappearing. I tried to contact few scammers there just to understand how they work, but they simply never responded, so don't know how big is the scam. Also - FB completely ignores those scams and allows them to exist, I have reported like 10 adds that were clearly scam and got response "we can't see anything wrong with them". Yeah sure - 2019 IS300h F-Sport with 55,000 miles for £4,500 is obviously "legit deal". 

The is300h was ridiculous 🤣🤣 at least now I know for sure to keep staying away from Facebook. 

On 5/15/2024 at 4:17 PM, Texas said:

There was a dealer ( purporting to be private when selling!) in the Brum area iirc that went by the name of ‘Lexus man’, ‘Lexus Brum’ or something like that and was a real dodgie geezer and had history with trading standards for his dealings, others may expand hopefully👍

Yes, also known years ago as "Lexus Chap" and the last time I saw him selling a car he went under the name "fun in the sun"

• Like 1

Another thing, 7 out of 10 cars I see, their MOTs mentioned at least once, corroded brake lines at one point. Is that something I should be looking for? Is that a common problem?

2 hours ago, DnG said:

Another thing, 7 out of 10 cars I see, their MOTs mentioned at least once, corroded brake lines at one point. Is that something I should be looking for? Is that a common problem?

It's not common, but it's becoming common. It's almost 20 years old.

1 hour ago, H3XME said:

It's not common, but it's becoming common. It's almost 20 years old.

Damn I'm old, I keep forgetting this car is older than it looks.

Anyone ever had a brake line job on an IS250? Looking to see how much it would cost just in case. I was once quoted £500 just for 1 brake line on an old 2003 Mercedes C220 and that was 2-3 years ago

1 hour ago, DnG said:

Damn I'm old, I keep forgetting this car is older than it looks.

Anyone ever had a brake line job on an IS250? Looking to see how much it would cost just in case. I was once quoted £500 just for 1 brake line on an old 2003 Mercedes C220 and that was 2-3 years ago

When it comes to MOT - it is hit and miss, some testers will point it out, others will ignore it. The replacement will be expensive if you looking to replace all the lines to the original ones. That said most of the time it is only the flex lines that needs to be replaced, have seen quite rusty cars (particularly GS300), but never seen Lexus of this generation which had actual hardlines rusted to the point of needing the replacement. Again it is usually the part which is in the wheel well and it is the bracket or the nut that is rusted, or it is covered in rusted brake dust, but it is not the lines themselves that are rusted.

But as Lucas said - these are soon to be 20 years old cars, metal rust, so with time rust will become an issue.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, markeyszoo said:

and again it has auto also

Yes - only from late 2009, cars that go "L-finesse" rear lights and indicators on the mirrors should have auto-folding functions. Before that 2005-2009 cars do not have auto folding mirrors, so you have to press the button every time BEFORE switching off the engine, but it can to be retrofitted. 

Worth pointing out that the auto-fold function is not on all 2009+ cars.

It was one of the features, along with paddle shifters etc, that was dropped for the August 2010-2013 "2nd facelift".

@DnG, have you seen This One ? High-ish miles and possibly a bit rough looking, but an F-Sport with ML for just over £2K.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links