Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

MOT with clear rear fog lights?

The first MOT is due in January.

The lighting regs specify that rear fog lights must be red and have an approval mark. Mine are pink at the moment. I'm just experimenting etc to get a red bulb/led. According to posts on is300.net "Polarg M series" bulbs give a good red colour. The lights don't have an approval mark but I'm hoping that if they light up red then that will be good enough to pass an MOT. They're not that bright as the coloured bulb reduces the light but the regs don't specify brightness.

If it fails then I'll refit the old lights. I'm not sure about swapping them back again afterwards as we're meant to obey the ruling authorities (Romans 13).

Possiby a realm we shouldn't freely discuss - but when i had my CBR600 bike - i fitted a carbon fibre race can to it. This was way over the maximum noise levels for an exhaust and made it illegal. However - my local MOT'er took the stance that, as soon as I took my bike home I was going to switch the can back anyway so aslong as I took a "Legal" can to the testing centre he would pass it, even if it wasn't actually attached to the bike!!! Maybe worth a try - but not likely to happen at amain dealer!!

I went into the local MOT station today and asked about the lenses, they checked in the testing regulations book and the general consensus(sp?) is that as long as there is no visible white light and the light is red and that it is as bright/brighter than your normal original fogs then there is no reason that the car can fail the MOT due to the fog lights - unless you leave the fog/brake mod kit on that is:!:

rob

I have been reading this with Interest as my clear lenses have just arrived from the US and I am fitting this weekend.

Previous threads have suggested fitting red LEDs to over come the pink light problem. Has anyone tried this? Where did you get the LEDs from? There are several for sale on eBay but I am not sure which ones will fit the car? What is the bulb type/number for the rear fogs?

Thanks

hi blue,

I got some LED bulbs from the US to get round the 'pink' light, but as i found out you need to seriously modify them to get any decent light output ask andyhart21 - because of the way an LED works u get most light output when you are facing it straight on i.e. at 0 degrees but due to the fog bulb holder you are viewing it at about 60 degrees so the light is a bit poo poo to say the least - to cut a long story short dont bother with them.

Andy can u post a pic of what i had to do to the LED bulbs?

cheers rob

Thanks Rob

I will give them a miss.

When I was younger ( probably before a lot of you were driving) I had a Cortina MKIII (No laughing) The front indicator bulb was white with like an orange (forgive me) condom type cover over it to give an orange light. I wonder if a similar "device" can be fashioned in red to overcome the pink light problems. I guess I have a job at the weekend!! If I find a solution that works I will let every one know, meanwhile if anyone else comes up with a good workable idea, dont keep it to your selves now!!!

you can get the bulb 'condoms' that are for the wedge bulbs in the fogs - i saw reference to them on is300.net - best to do a search there or ask a Q about them - i did but never got a response:( ill try again!

any info i get ill post here.

rob

I got some LED bulbs from the US to get round the 'pink' light, but as i found out you need to seriously modify them to get any decent light output ask andyhart21 - because of the way an led works u get most light output when you are facing it straight on i.e. at 0 degrees but due to the fog bulb holder you are viewing it at about 60 degrees so the light is a bit poo poo to say the least - to cut a long story short dont bother with them.

I've got some APC LED "bulbs" and they're clear leds that give out a red light so they end up being pink again. Like others have said they are more directional and because of the angle they enter the lamp they end up giving much less light. I did try melting and bending them with a soldering iron to get a better angle but without much success as it's difficult to bend them just right. I've given up now.

java - i also had the APC LED bulbs but mine a perfect red and bright as well - i bent mine using a hot air gun - you have to wait till the plastic is just about to bubble/forms bubbles in the plastic then you can bend them really easily.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links