Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Funny Rattle

cyclist

Help!

When I go over bumps, I get a clattery rattling sound from under the car - although you can only hear it with the windows open. I assumed it would be maybe an exhaust heat shield or something like that. BUT then today I tried driving along a bumpy road, at 30mph in second and the brakes applied with my left foot (took quite a bit of throttle to keep it going, and made the brakes rather hot... :blush: ) Anyway, the upshot is, driving normally, rattles like hell, driving with brakes on, no rattles at all.

So, do any of you guys have any ideas what this might be - is there anything in the brakes that might come loose and rattle?

Any help gratefully received :)

Rob

Any luck with a fix - got a similar noise on mine - plus a strange squishy noise from rear drivers side when going round lh bends - driving me mad ...

Thanks -

I hate it when you get that "not sure what it is" reply from a garage...

Always sounds to me like "the boss wants to go to Hawaii for his holidays, and we're not sure how many things we need to replace on your car to pay for it..."

But then I'm just paranoid - (or so the voices in my head tell me) :ph34r:

I love my is200, it's the best car I've ever owned. I can live with the low rev whines from the gearbox around town (even the Top Gear magazine test slagged it off for that, years ago), and I can live with the slightly rattly idle (sounds from this forum like that's par for the course too). BUT it drives me mad when I'm just driving through town and it rattles so much that pedestrians stare (paranoid again?) 'cos they think something's about to fall off.

R

I have the same noise and it's the floating part of the caliper rattling on the pins. You can tell if it's this because the noise will stop if you apply light pressure to the brakes while going over bumps.

Another member took his car took Lexus and they said it's perfectly normal (but very annoying) - the noise can be lessened for a while by packing the pins with grease (according to Lexus) but the only permanent fix is a new caliper.

I had the same problem (both rattle and staring pedestrians), and can confirm that it was the caliper pins. I bought a little kit of calipers pins and clips (around 60 euro from Toyota!!) and replaced the rear brake pads and the rattle is now gone. I can again drive around the city with my window down.

Mine were so bad you could actually move the pins with your hand. Interestingly the ones that came in the kit were different than the ones that were on the car.

Rattling Update:

Thanks for all the comments.

Yesterday I got the caliper pins packed with grease on the front brakes - made absolutely no difference to the rattling...

So now I'm guessing it might be the rear pads, judging from comments here.

I'll keep y'all posted...

R

Quick update on mine:

Rear back box rubbers replaced and washers added to exhaust spring bolts as main knocking appears to be from exhaust joint movement - waiting till usual work route tomorrow to see if successful - not completely convinced at moment.

Light metallic tapping, rattle and scuffing noise - no results yet - told dealer that I suspect rear calipers / pads - they are going to involve Lexus tech. guy to help trace it.

Can't fault dealer / warranty with support on this - just frustrating I have to keep taking time off work to try and fix it ...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links