Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Any Ideas

Chris.S

Since my engine was replaced I've got a problem with acceleration.

Normal acceraration wether normal or hard is ok but when I come off a roundabout or sometimes try to accelerate in a high gear I seem to be getting a kick or surge

Ideas ?

Check the distributer cap slightest crack/damage/ wear can make a big difference and possible be the cause. also carbon fibre leads can break down, just cause there is a copper pin in the end don't mean its copper right thru, the pin is only pushed into the fibre get copper leads bit more expensive but worth it. I had same prob on a mini when I cut the fibre lead back there was a burnt out gap where the pin should have been.

Realspeed

Dont get me wrong the car rins perfect, better than before to be honest

This only happens when I accelerate while moving not from a standing start usuallly 2nd

How can I describe it, it feels like turbo lag in a way

Normal acceraration wether normal or hard is ok but when I come off a roundabout or sometimes try to accelerate in a high gear I seem to be getting a kick or surge

Ideas ?

Chris,

Don't accelerate in a high gear......... :P

If you change down a gear and keep the engine reving, is it ok then ?

Check the distributer cap slightest crack/damage/ wear can make a big difference and possible be the cause. also carbon fibre leads can break down, just cause there is a copper pin in the end don't mean its copper right thru, the pin is only pushed into the fibre get copper leads bit more expensive but worth it. I had same prob on a mini when I cut the fibre lead back there was a burnt out gap where the pin should have been.

Realspeed

so where would i find the distributer cap :blink:

Ideas ?

Chris,

It does it in 2nd gear aswell though

Ideas ?

Chris,

It does it in 2nd gear aswell though

could it be a vacuum pipe off somewhere ?

Chris, I get a very noticable kick now at ~4.2k rpm when the timing changes, didn't notice it so much before but it's there now, might need an ECU reset in my case though.

Does it always kick in at the same place? Could be the fluffy power delivery that is mentioned with the SC at low revs maybe? Is the throttle wire on the SC at the same place you had it before? Think I read Gord noticed a difference when they tried different settings?

the distributer cap is at the other end of the spark plug leads unless you have electronic distubution in which case you cant do anything to it.

realspeed

The IS, along with all Lexus models since 1998, have distributer-less ignition. No leads and no dizzy.

one other thing it could be is a " Flat spot" in the tuning which can be easily sorted by someone like Home tune who I have found very good in the past.For example I had a "missing" on acceleration- new plugs points etc etc. called in Home tune as I was getting a little annoyed as I could not find the fault. Home tune found it - it was a faulty brand new spark plug shorting down to earth under pressure,

no way would you have been able to tell by looking at it, physically the plug looked in A 1 condition and it was new so I didn't suspect it for a moment.

Realspeed

I am only going back to the cars I used to work on many years ago, things move on and bits that could be checked out are now not possible

Thanks Collin I didn't know leads etc no longer exist or distributers.

but it was worth a try in any case .

Realspeed

Guess old age is showing through

Chris, I get a very noticable kick now at ~4.2k rpm when the timing changes, didn't notice it so much before but it's there now, might need an ECU reset in my case though.

Does it always kick in at the same place? Could be the fluffy power delivery that is mentioned with the SC at low revs maybe? Is the throttle wire on the SC at the same place you had it before? Think I read Gord noticed a difference when they tried different settings?

yes adio i did mess with the settings and i did make a difference mate, might be worth a try chris ?

• 2 months later...

Did you find a cure for the problem Chris?

I have started to encounter similar problem this morning. Car is fine except between 2k and 3k rev range. Exhaust note changes in that range (rather raspy sound) and car surges slightly

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links