Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

The RX is the first car I've owned with an auto box and a few things are bemusing me, so perhaps you can help.

Why does it never change down when the car comes to a halt until you accelerate again leaving a lag and often a jerky start ?

And why is it always in 4th if you switch into manual mode :driving: ?

Is it just my car or are all autos like this ?

Well, my LS changes down with speed reduction and usually (feels like) it ends up in second. I have a feeling that it always starts in second unless I boot it, in which case there is a minute lag then its off to the horizon at great speed!!

I've had other autos in the past all of which do the same sort of thing (but with much less pizazz of course!!)

It's not always in 4th when you switch to manual mode, the highest gear it will go into is 4th. The number on the display is the highest gear you will allow it to go into. If you leave it in 4th and stop the vehicle will pull away in 1st and work it's way up to 4th but will not go into 5th.

If I switch to maual mode and use the tiptronic, the gear you are in displays on the dash and it always starts in 1st gear. Also it will change down itself in manual mode if I slow down without going through the gears.

Same in auto mode the car change down itself when you take your foot off

If I switch to maual mode and use the tiptronic, the gear you are in displays on the dash and it always starts in 1st gear.

Don't switch to manual mode at 80mph then :ohmy:

80 m.p.h. That would be breaking the speed limit Col :lol:

dazzab69, you need to READ THIS and then afterwards READ THIS it sounds like your having much the same trouble as a few of us. RxMike has done more to find a cure than the rest of us put together, haven't tried it yet myself, waiting for a spell of decent weather at the weekend,

Good Luck

Roger.

Hi Roger

I've been following RxMike's efforts and it may be the answer. I think Colin may have cleared up my confusion over the manual side.

D

And why is it always in 4th if you switch into manual mode  :driving: ?

Is it just my car or are all autos like this ?

Not yet tried it myself yet, but read the manual last night as I had the same question. Seems it goes into fourth when you engage manual because 5th is overdrive. Overdrive can not be used for engine breaking which is why it puts it into fourth the highest gear which will create a degree of engine breaking. The manual suggests however that you can still manually select overdrive. So you could leave it in manual all of the time and still select overdrive when you want to.

Hope that helps.

br

D

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links