Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is this why we have brittle paint ?

I've been asking around ( bodyshops + auto paint manufacturer ) about the poor durability of paint finish on my IS200 and got some interesting thoughts ...

Some repairers have had 'brittle paint' occur on jobs they've done. Cause was eventually traced to paint additives which accelerate the drying process. These additives were routinely added to solvent based finishes without incident but the faster drying caused the (different formulation) water based paints to become brittle and chip easily.

If lexus use these additives (which they may not) OR high bake ovens (which they almost certainly do) to accelerate drying and speed up production then they may be compromising the durability of the finish in the interests of efficiency.

It's apparently pretty widely known in the trade that BMW have had similar problems and reverted to traditional paints until they sorted it out. Naturally they didn't make a song and dance about it as they were having to respray lots of customers cars and the environmental lobby would have had a field day at the reintroduction of solvent based painting :)

One thing is common though. The shops i saw all accept the IS200 in particular has paint problems which they're at a loss to explain ... apart from the above.

So - perhaps we have an answer here ???

• 2 months later...

I know there was a poll vote done on whether or not to contact Lexus GB about the quality of paint - was this ever pursued?

It would be great to hear a follow up, similarily, if you need any help in following up, please let me know if there's anything I can do. :eyes:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links