Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Squealing Sound From Brakes

asifk

Hey guys,

I just got my IS last week (2001 SE Auto Navigator). Really enjoying using it and was cruising around all weekend. However I find an irritating squealing noise when ever I hit the brakes. Performance is perfect and it stops on a dime but the sound is just bothering me.

Any ideas what might be causing it / how I can fix it without replacing the brakes?

cheers...

(BTW will post pics sometime soon )

Hey guys,

I just got my IS last week (2001 SE Auto Navigator). Really enjoying using it and was cruising around all weekend. However I find an irritating squealing noise when ever I hit the brakes. Performance is perfect and it stops on a dime but the sound is just bothering me.

Any ideas what might be causing it / how I can fix it without replacing the brakes?

cheers...

Got my is sport 54 plate and get this as well!!!

Hey guys,

cheers...

Is it fitted with original pads? sometimes they come with anti-squeal shims and they may be missing, copperslip wont cure this problem.

• 2 weeks later...

can be caused by and cures:

glaze on pads - needs taking off with a wire wheel ( wear a dust mask)

no anti squeel shims fitted

apply a bit of copperslip between pad backing materiail and anti squeal shim and the thin plate( this helps a lot)

chamfer the leading / trailing edges of the brake pad

those with the noise, do u use the jetwash on ur wheels/brakes at all?

squealing brakes is mostly caused by either incompatable pads, irregularities in the disc, or sticky calipers. I,ve found that the most common is the discs, the only way to stop the squeal being to replace them. If your disc/s don't look blue (an obvious sign of sticky caliper/s), and the problem hasn't come on with a pad change, then I think discs is going to be the answer.

had this on my GS annoying isn't it i was told it was a sticking caliper and got charged 100 quid for the pleasure (lies all lies) i had a look myself and i could push the brake pistons back quite easily so i changed the pads even though there was alot of life left in them and voila no more squealing

hope you sort it

leg

squealing brakes is mostly caused by either incompatable pads, irregularities in the disc, or sticky calipers. I,ve found that the most common is the discs, the only way to stop the squeal being to replace them. If your disc/s don't look blue (an obvious sign of sticky caliper/s), and the problem hasn't come on with a pad change, then I think discs is going to be the answer.

my front brakes started to squeel recently never had any probs with them before so i know it wasnt the pad-brake combination( have aftermarket pads) , turned out the shims and backing plate must have been vibrating, as i put a tiny bit of ceramic paste between the shim and pad and now all is silent :D suppose the paste got washed out over time as i jetwash the wheels/arches every week.

yes that is true, the IS doesnt have a brake pad warning light instead it uses thin metal legs that when the pad material is low ( on the front only) it rubs against the disc and causes a squeel

• 3 weeks later...

my front brakes started to squeel recently never had any probs with them before so i know it wasnt the pad-brake combination( have aftermarket pads) , turned out the shims and backing plate must have been vibrating, as i put a tiny bit of ceramic paste between the shim and pad and now all is silent :D suppose the paste got washed out over time as i jetwash the wheels/arches every week.

The thing with copperslip, or any other paste that you apply, is that you are not curing the problem, you are simply hiding it. As far as I am aware, any squealing is caused by vibration in the pads. An example is, if you take a pedal bike brake blocks and set them so the rear of the blocks(leading edge) touches slightly before the rest, the blocks will squeal as they judder trying to grab the rim. Now set the blocks so the front edge touches first(the trailing edge) and the squeal will disappear. Obviously it's not that simple to cure on a car, but the principle of squealing brakes is the same.

try greasing the points at which the pad touches the caliper guides too.

These can build up with compacted dust etc and make the pad hit the disc at funny angles when bad

The thing with copperslip, or any other paste that you apply, is that you are not curing the problem, you are simply hiding it. As far as I am aware, any squealing is caused by vibration in the pads. An example is, if you take a pedal bike brake blocks and set them so the rear of the blocks(leading edge) touches slightly before the rest, the blocks will squeal as they judder trying to grab the rim. Now set the blocks so the front edge touches first(the trailing edge) and the squeal will disappear. Obviously it's not that simple to cure on a car, but the principle of squealing brakes is the same.

yes true, but u cant set the angle on a car

yes true, but u cant set the angle on a car

That's what I said.

"Obviously it's not that simple to cure on a car, but the principle of squealing brakes is the same."

I was trying to give an example that is easily to explain, and demonstrate yourself.

On a car you must ensure every part that moves, does so freely, and the discs and pads are compatible and in serviceable condition. I had an Audi S2 which had Bremsport calipers and two piece discs fitted. When I bought it the brakes were abyssmal and they squealed like buggery. I stripped them down and found the pads were virtually siezed in the calipers. I cleaned down the mounting points, copperslipped all moving parts, and replaced the pads as they had cracked due to the heat build up. Luckily the discs had evaded any damage. I used ferodo race pads(about £70), and what a difference. I lost the squeal and the performance increase was unbelievable. I should have been a bit clearer in what I said about copperslip ( I'm a firm believer in using it), using it on the sliders etc is a must but on the back of pads, IMHO, is just hiding a fault

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links