Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

High-pitch Noise At High Speed

I have a 2001 IS300 and it seems to make a high pitch whistling type noise whenever I go over 80MPH and only when I go over 80MPH. This wouldn't be a problem except that I drive over 80MPH on a daily basis. I have not pinpointed the location but it seems to be coming from the central A/C vents on the dash. Almost sounds like a fan thats spinning that needs some oil perhaps although the sound persists whether the climate control is on or off. Any ideas?

does this sound appear when u have the fan on? as it only appears when it is at or above 80 i would think it is wind related, check your seals on the doors/windscreen, wipers etc..

do u have a roof rack or anything non standard on the car ( externaly)

does this sound appear when u have the fan on?  as it only appears when it is at or above 80 i would think it is wind related, check your seals on the doors/windscreen, wipers etc..

do u have a roof rack or anything non standard on the car ( externaly)

I also beleive its wind related I just dont understand what the wind is doing making noises in my car! No roof rack or non-standard equip. Ill have to check my external seals but it definately sounds like its coming from the vents. And it appears whether the fan is on or off.

what happens when u close the centre vents or direct the air to floor for example

I remember trying that too and it was a no go. Ill give it a shot again just to make sure by directing air traffic control to the floor and closing the center dash vents.

has the car had a new windshield.

check the scuttle panel at the bottom of the glass, also have a look under the car and ensure All the under tray panels are secure with all there securing bolts/screws

next time it happens, move the windscreen wipers, thinking back i had something similar, sound was very faint so didnt bother me but when i changed the wipers for a different brand it went away.

next time it happens, move the windscreen wipers, thinking back i had something similar, sound was very faint so didnt bother me but when i  changed the wipers for a different brand it went away.

This was probably the best suggestion yet but unfortunately was not the cause. I tried using the wipers while it happened and it didnt affect it at all. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Have the same faint high-pitched whine ('51 200 Sport). It becomes noticable from around 70+, increasing in pitch, but not volume.

I figured it was linked to the vents, and air being forced through at higher speeds. Turning off air-con seemed to reduce it slightly, but this could also be wishful thinking rather than fact!

Be interested to know if anyone else actually has this problem.

Maybe it is a speed limiter kind off thingy :blush::lol:

Joking

Could be your heatshield underneath the car (Between Exhaust and body of car usually around the cat area) :geek:

As I have just found out recently :crybaby:

Heat shield was loose and vibrating :crybaby:

I have a 2001 IS300 and it seems to make a high pitch whistling type noise whenever I go over 80MPH and only when I go over 80MPH. This wouldn't be a problem except that I drive over 80MPH on a daily basis. I have not pinpointed the location but it seems to be coming from the central A/C vents on the dash. Almost sounds like a fan thats spinning that needs some oil perhaps although the sound persists whether the climate control is on or off. Any ideas?

is the sound a definate whistle (with small vibrato variations) or is it a constant pure single pitch sound when driving at say a steady 80mph if it is a pure single pitch sound, could the sound also be described as a whine?

is the sound a definate whistle (with small vibrato variations) or is it a constant pure single pitch sound when driving at say a steady 80mph if it is a pure single pitch sound, could the sound also be described as a whine?

Well it doesnt change in pitch but the faster I go the louder it gets. On a windy day with gusts of wind I can definately notice slight increases in volume when a gust of wind hits my car so I know its linked to the windspeed somehow.

Can anyone give me instructions for removing the top tray in the dash right above the center vents. I may try to tinker with it a bit myself but I cant figure out how to remove that piece.

here is a post i wrote ages ago, BUT be advised it is sometimes possible to remove the tray by just grabbingthe edges and pulling it ( and not using a putty knife)- but check what type of tray u have ie screwed into dash or not.

search + dash tray removal = this post

hope it helps!

here is a post i wrote ages ago,  BUT be advised it is sometimes possible to remove the tray by just grabbingthe edges and pulling it ( and not using a putty knife)- but check what type of tray u have ie screwed into dash or not.

search + dash tray removal = this post

hope it helps!

Well I managed to get the dash tray off and then drove around again to see if I could better pinpoint it. I had my friend drive with me and it doesnt seem to be coming from where I thought it was but more towards the passenger side possibly in front of the glovebox but it was still too hard to pin point because the sound seems to be bouncing off the windshield making it difficult to spot.

remove the glove box, two plastic pins holding it in place visable from underneath the glovebox, just slide them towards each other then the glovebox just lifts out.

the filter is behind a black plastic cover there that just pulls off

OR an even easier way - take what u ghave out of the glove box, then squeeze the sides in slightly, then the rubber tabs will come past the opening and the glove box drops down. a few secs is all it takes.

• 4 months later...

I used to have that high pitch sound in my Y reg IS200. I could never find the definite reason for it but came to the conclusion that it could be to do with the ABS which has parts located in front of the driver. I left it and got used to the noise as fixing it would be expensive. My 04 reg IS does not emit that sound.

I used to have that high pitch sound in my Y reg IS200.  I could never find the definite reason for it but came to the conclusion that it could be to do with the ABS which has parts located in front of the driver.  I left it and got used to the noise as fixing it would be expensive.  My 04 reg IS does not emit that sound.

the noise from the ABS assy is a very different sound to that caused by airflow, the ABS motor sounds just like a motor!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links