Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Advice Needed

norkep

Drove the car this morning, no problems and all seem OK, how-ever I just started the car, drove about 1/2 Mile to the P/Office for the Tax, the turbo's were making a very loud whining noise, alot more than normal. If I kept the car below the 2K rev, no sound but as I hit or go just over, the whin slowly creeps back. Checked under the bonnet and found that one of the fastners/nuts had come off resulting in oil running down the side, don't know how long this has been off for. Have replaced the nut and will leave everything to cool before trying again.

What are my chances of damaging the turbo's and if this is the case, does anyone know where I can get a repair done as these are £400 - £500 new for 1 and what would my alternet choices be.

Not looking forward to this

BR

Paul

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dunno how the turbo bearings work besides going round are they floating bearings or taper and pin bearings ? with the high revs and no oil could be the bearings if you caught it early enough shouldn't be a problem

All I know is that they are cermic bearings, as for catching it in-time, I'll know in about 20 minutes, waiting for as long as possible before starting, and then will give it about 5 minutes before moving the car, hoping the oil will work it's way round before being used.

Nope Alan, they've gone south for good. They've gone-don-blown on me, going to have a good month I think. Think that the nut I noticed today must have been missing for a while, never noticed the oil patch before untill this afternoon but something must have cause these to fail.

Will have to start saving again. Hopefully these are easy to fit. Will have to use the car for another couple of days and then she off the road, not sure for how long either, the bug ger of it all is that I got some 18" alloy's to fit on, was going to get them fitted this month as well, oh-well :tsktsk: :tsktsk: :tsktsk: :tsktsk: :tsktsk: :tsktsk:

not having much luck with your car lately paul  :crying:

good luck, and keep the old girl going......whatever it takes

i may be interested in your knacked turbos if you decide to get new ones rather than get them reconditioned

Cheers - I'll let you know once these are replaced, not sure how long this will be though, so bear with me on this one. More used to dealing with server's rather than engines but I'm willing to have a go :lol:

Cheers - I'll let you know once these are replaced, not sure how long this will be though, so bear with me on this one. More used to dealing with server's rather than engines but I'm willing to have a go :lol:

i'm the other way about unfortunately they are jet engines but alot of the turbo stuff is very similar to gas turbines

Well thats it, the turbo's that I was hoping for from TDI are not any good for mine - not compatible with mine. From everything I've tried, is out of my cash range.

The car just had to be towed into work in Luton, this may be her last resting place, hope not but I'm running out of things I can do, financially the cars dead for a month - maybe longer. Don't know how long I can

http://www.universal-turbos.com/head.htm

a quick look turned this up they offer turbo reconditioning

http://www.turbotechnics.com/components/servicekit.htm

also found this but it says trade only its a recon kit for toyota turbos i don't know if yours will be on there

why are they not compatible paul?

Mat, I've forward the PM I got from Mark.

Dave if you can make some enquires please mate.

At the moment, I'm serously looking Fords Orion at the moment, nice little run-around to replace the lex, hopefully this will buy me some time, will not be much be may be enough though

also found this but it says trade only its a recon kit for toyota turbos i don't know if yours will be on there

Cheers for this Legendswraith,

Have just rung Chris from there, they say that they need to be converted from Cermic to steel, rebuild and the max I'm looking for the repairs in £575 per turbo, that's £1150 to repair the car. The car is not worth the expense of this. I can get hold of a complete Aristo TT engine for £500 - £600 Shipped, but don't have either the money or storage for at least a couple of months.

Cheers for this Legendswraith,

Have just rung Chris from there, they say that they need to be converted from Cermic to steel, rebuild and the max I'm looking for the repairs in £575 per turbo, that's £1150 to repair the car. The car is not worth the expense of this. I can get hold of a complete Aristo TT engine for £500 - £600 Shipped, but don't have either the money or storage for at least a couple of months.

if its just a case of changing the bearings then you could press them in and out yourself just find a bearing company they usually have massive stocks and give them the bearing specs as for the turbo impellor i would think ideally it would have to be dynamically balanced and checked for run out etc it just so happens that we have a balancing bay around here i don't know if they can do someting that small though if you decide to give it a go yourself pm me and i will give them a bell and see if its possible if they can do it i would think they would

Cheers Legendswraith, may have to look at doing it myself, will have a look at getting the car back to MK soon and start stripping the turbo's off, this may give me a better idea as to the next course of action.

Cheers Legendswraith, may have to look at doing it myself, will have a look at getting the car back to MK soon and start stripping the turbo's off, this may give me a better idea as to the next course of action.

have asked the question anyway of one of my contacts will know later on so will post what i know then

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links