Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Satnav, Cd Vs Dvd

As most are aware, the cd-based satnav unit in my lex is broken. the laser is broken, so it wont read discs.

Now, I have the chance to get a dvd-based system.

Is the unit swappable?

IE, can I replace my cd-based unit in the boot for a dvd-based unit in the boot?

Or is there more to it than this?

Any advice would be greatfully received!!!

Hmm .... well I would imagine the output of the dvd system would be the same in terms of displaying on your screen ......

However, that are a few more functions on the DVD based system.

The remote for the DVD based system has a few more buttons on it ......... this may cause a problem in the functionality of the disc?

I'm sure Colin wil be along shortly ........... :D

What if he could get both the unit in the boot, remote + other stuff, would it work?

Thanks......:D

Where is the fountain of all knowledge when you need him...:whistling:

Well you couldn't just get the remote .... because It's all built into the centre console ..... it would mean changing the complete middle dash area ........ :excl:

What if he could get both the unit in the boot, remote + other stuff, would it work?

Thanks......:D

Where is the fountain of all knowledge when you need him...:whistling:

Well you couldn't just get the remote .... because It's all built into the centre console ..... it would mean changing the complete middle dash area ........ :excl:

i already have the cd-based remote, so is the dvd remote the same size? same fixings etc?

i already have the cd-based remote, so is the dvd remote the same size? same fixings etc?

Mate, It's no where near the same ..... I don't have my car at the mo .. so I can't show u a photo ........... maybe someone else can help ...............?

The Plan.

As most will know I have been after the Sat Nav housing, motor and circuit board for a while now.

Nick has been after getting his Sat Nav working for almost a year.

I have found a scrapyard in Rochdale that has the full Sat Nav system for a 2001 IS200 (updated trim, which I am 80% sure is the DVD version). They won't seperate parts out of it, so I cannot get the housing that I need.

The plan is that one of us buys it, we can get the parts that we need (I want the housing, circuit board and motor, whereas Nick can get the Boot DVD player, Remote and (it seems) Centre console.

This way we both benefit.............

But will it work? Its not looking good :(

As most are aware, the cd-based satnav unit in my lex is broken. the laser is broken, so it wont read discs.

Is the unit swappable?

IE, can I replace my cd-based unit in the boot for a dvd-based unit in the boot?

Nick, don't know if you remember but you posted a message to me some time late last year RE: the sat nav error 'please insert disk , check disk'. Well I had a quote from Lexus Chester, and it came out at £1460... haha, their having a laugh. Anyway, I started investigating how I can fix it myself. You'll be pleased to know I have now fixed it and is working perfectly. All you need to do is go on to eBay, type in Toyota Nav. This then brings up Toyota Avensis Sat Nav units... For some reason there are lots of them on there. I paif £75 inc postage as a guide. When you get the package. Open the outside case and to your surprise you will see a cd drive which is exactly the same as the good old Lexus number. It's exactly the same part. Just plug it in and away you go. I know this has been a long awaiting problem for you so hopefully you will now know where you are going. All the best

Daz

Is the unit swappable?

Nick, don't know if you remember but you posted a message to me some time late last year RE: the sat nav error 'please insert disk , check disk'. Well I had a quote from Lexus Chester, and it came out at £1460... haha, their having a laugh. Anyway, I started investigating how I can fix it myself. You'll be pleased to know I have now fixed it and is working perfectly. All you need to do is go on to eBay, type in Toyota Nav. This then brings up Toyota Avensis Sat Nav units... For some reason there are lots of them on there. I paif £75 inc postage as a guide. When you get the package. Open the outside case and to your surprise you will see a cd drive which is exactly the same as the good old Lexus number. It's exactly the same part. Just plug it in and away you go. I know this has been a long awaiting problem for you so hopefully you will now know where you are going. All the best

Daz

Off to take a look now!

Why didnt you tell me earlier? :D

I have seen a few posts related to this

as fas as i can remember, the dvd version does not display correctly on the square screen of the CD version, also the looms are quite different as is the remote which is hard wired in to the DVD version but infared on the CD version. I never owned satnav in my IS but I remember these things about them.

if you were going to do it. I think it would be a big job and you would have to strip down most of the car to get all the wires etc.

Nick have you taken a look at the laser to see if there's any model numbers on it? cpc do alot of lasers, perhaps they have a replacement.

IT **** WORKS!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D

80 delivered for a toyota satnav unit off eBay, swapped the drives this morning, it works again!!

I have spent nearly a year trying to get this fixed, and thanks to the advice above, I have now got it fixed!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

*** i'm happy!

I think this information should be made into a sticky for everyone else!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links