Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Cameras On The M4

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We've been warned and we know where they are......so whats the problem?

If your passing the area just ease off the gas pedal...

(runs for cover) :tomato:

Or just set the cruse for 120 kmph and cruse through it all unscaithed :)

kinda missing the point though, the point is that it has nothing to do with safety, it's about revenue, another tax, sure if everyone drove within the speed limit, then the cameras would have to be removed as they would not be cost effective, but the reason the camera's are there and the reason they are growing is because they are generating millions of ££££, and because people will always creep over unrealistically low speed limits, the cameras will grow and grow, the government have already discussed lower points on your licence for getting caught depending on how much you were breaking the limit by, why do you think they have done this? and another worrying problem is the image the police are getting because of these tax cameras more and more people are associating this obvious money scam with the police, the police are increasingly being looked at with contempt because more and more people are being criminalised so much so that there is often euphoria when vigilantes take it upon themselves to destroy these hated money spinning icons. (jumps down off soap box)

The M4 is the main commuter run into London.

Labour are owned by the unions and Prescott used to be a Really Massive :tsktsk: member. They want everyone travelling in on the trains.

But you have to get up early to find a parking space near the station. Check train times. Get up even earlier to get a seat. Then you stand on a freezing cold platform. Then you have to share a carriage with all sorts. Even in 1st class you usually have to stand. Then you have to carry your briefcase to the tube. Then you cram on with everyone else. Then you have the same farce going home.

On Polling day, you get the :tsktsk: train drivers delaying you for 2 hours at Euston station because of an engine fault. So you switch to another train which develops the SAME FAULT. Then they switch you again and the SAME FAULT for a third time. Then they put you back on the original train. That leaves the station stops after 100 yards then returns. That's what happened to me in 2001. Then they dreamt up postal voting scams.

kinda missing the point though, the point is that it has nothing to do with safety, it's about revenue, another tax, sure if everyone drove within the speed limit, then the cameras would have to be removed as they would not be cost effective, but the reason the camera's are there and the reason they are growing is because they are generating millions of ££££, and because people will always creep over unrealistically low speed limits, the cameras will grow and grow, the government have already discussed lower points on your licence for getting caught depending on how much you were breaking the limit by, why do you think they have done this? and another worrying problem is the image the police are getting because of these tax cameras more and more people are associating this obvious money scam with the police, the police are increasingly being looked at with contempt because more and more people are being criminalised so much so that there is often euphoria when vigilantes take it upon themselves to destroy these hated money spinning icons. (jumps down off soap box)

But..... the problem is that the speed limits are not unrealisticly slow!.....

They may have been sufficient when they were introduces in the 70's or when ever (ask one of the oldies the correct date ;) ) But.....

All the structures and topology of the roads now are designed to certain standards based on these speed limits. This means that to increase the "unrealisticly slow" speed limits has a greater impact than you might think... increasing in bridge parapit strengths, safety barrier specification, clearences to be adjusted from the running lanes etc....

Have you ever spent more than a few hours on the hard shoulder of a motorway?

I often do (in my line of work), what you see when you drive down a motorway is only a snapshot as you pass by. If you were to stand there and watch a single point for an hour or so then you would wonder why there arn't more accidents! (I DO NOT reccomend you try this btw :) )

You wouldn't believe some of the headways I have seen on the M25 for example at 80-100 mph with headways of circa 1 - .5 second!!!! thats the time of the gap between vehicles.

And you think our speed limits are unrealistic.. it is far deeper than that :)

So why bitch and moan about it when you know the policies of this government and its attitude of road management,for your info 1 in 4 m/way accidents are in this known accident blackspot on the M4.How much more time is going to be added to your day to keep to the limits on this stretch of M/Way for 4 jct's.

People need a reality check occasionally. ;)

The more cameras the better i say.

But you have to get up early to find a parking space near the station. Check train times. Get up even earlier to get a seat. Then you stand on a freezing cold platform. Then you have to share a carriage with all sorts. Even in 1st class you usually have to stand. Then you have to carry your briefcase to the tube. Then you cram on with everyone else. Then you have the same farce going home.

Ever thought to change your job..........its that easy if you dont like the commute into work,or pass your m/bike test and you'll sail into work everyday.

Alternatives!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ever though to change your job..........its that easy if you dont like the commute into work,or pass your m/bike test and you'll sail into work everyday.

we bitch and moan because we live in a democratic society, and we have the right to protest and complain.

yeah the more cameras the better, after all, tailgaiting, overtaking on the inside, changing lane without signalling, failing to return to the left after overtaking will continue, (which is getting worse and worse due to the diminishing presence of police) why do you think there are a lot of accidents in this 'blackspot' excessive speed is a factor, speed is also always relative. most accidents are CAUSED by a combination of the above, most m-way accidents occur at less than 70 and are a result of travelling to close to the vehicle in front,(BTW the argument about bridge strength etc is utter nonsense, sure if a 40t wagon was speeding it would make a difference, but we are obviuosly talking about cars here, the motorway structures are designed with the largest vehicles taken into account after all, it's the mass that causes the destruction, and a car travelling at 100mph will never impact with the same mass as a 40t wagon doing 50), the 70mph limit was introduced to try to reduce fuel conusmption during the 70s oil crisis and partly after a number of high profile (e-type jags) proving they could reach 150 on the motorways. You are either bating the audience here, or truly believe that speed camera's will actually make a difference to the number of accidents on our roads, it has been proven that camera's are failing in their intended role as accident reduction, and in some cases the number of accidents has actually increased, the only solution is to stop brainwashing some people into believing camera's will create a motoring utopia and get some MARKED police-cars on the roads, and clamp down on the most dangerous types of driving, which as you know is not purely speeding......

Ever thought to change your job..........its that easy if you dont like the commute into work,or pass your m/bike test and you'll sail into work everyday.

scorpion are you a biker? if you are then you'll know that speed cameras will not make it safer to ride a bike on a motorway, if you are a biker then you will know why. yes it is the fact that the numberplate is small, or the exhaust is not BS stamped, or we are crazy enough to wear a tinted visor when it's sunny.

Ever though to change your job..........its that easy if you dont like the commute into work,or pass your m/bike test and you'll sail into work everyday.

yeah the more cameras the better, after all, tailgaiting, overtaking on the inside, changing lane without signalling, failing to return to the left after overtaking will continue, (which is getting worse and worse due to the diminishing presence of police) why do you think there are a lot of accidents in this 'blackspot' excessive speed is a factor, speed is also always relative. most accidents are CAUSED by a combination of the above, most accidents occur at less than 70 (BTW the argument about bridge strength etc is utter nonsense, sure if a 40t wagon was speeding it would make a difference, but we are obviuosly talking about cars here, the motorway structures are designed with the largest vehicles taken into account after all, it's the mass that causes the destruction, and a car travelling at 100mph will never impact with the same mass as a 40t wagon doing 50), the 70mph limit was introduced to try to reduce fuel conusmption during the 70s oil crisis and partly after a number of high profile (e-type jags) proving they could reach 150 on the motorways. You are either bating the audience here, or truly believe that speed camera's will actually make a difference to the number of accidents on our roads, it has been proven that camera's are failing in their intended role as accident reduction, and in some cases the number of accidents has actually increased, the only solution is to stop brainwashing some people into believing camera's will create a motoring utopia and get some MARKED police-cars on the roads, and clamp down on the most dangerous types of driving, which is not purely speeding......

Are you setting up a revolt on cameras then?

your so against the government/cameras and police and worry about the speed limits on our roads i take it that you are a persistant abuser of the 70mph rules,until you are on the receiving end i.e involved in an accident yourself or a member of your family/loved one (g.od forbid) you'll never know why people would be a supporter of the cams............yes we ALL speed but the trick is knowing when/where it is safe to do it.

Your license is only ever on loan and you can give it up whenever you want if you prefer to take public transport though you probably have condascending views on that as well,Oh well you cant please everyone i s'pose.

Edited by Scorpion

yeah the more cameras the better, after all, tailgaiting, overtaking on the inside, changing lane without signalling, failing to return to the left after overtaking will continue, (which is getting worse and worse due to the diminishing presence of police) why do you think there are a lot of accidents in this 'blackspot' excessive speed is a factor, speed is also always relative. most accidents are CAUSED by a combination of the above, most accidents occur at less than 70 (BTW the argument about bridge strength etc is utter nonsense, sure if a 40t wagon was speeding it would make a difference, but we are obviuosly talking about cars here, the motorway structures are designed with the largest vehicles taken into account after all, it's the mass that causes the destruction, and a car travelling at 100mph will never impact with the same mass as a 40t wagon doing 50), the 70mph limit was introduced to try to reduce fuel conusmption during the 70s oil crisis and partly after a number of high profile (e-type jags) proving they could reach 150 on the motorways. You are either bating the audience here, or truly believe that speed camera's will actually make a difference to the number of accidents on our roads, it has been proven that camera's are failing in their intended role as accident reduction, and in some cases the number of accidents has actually increased, the only solution is to stop brainwashing some people into believing camera's will create a motoring utopia and get some MARKED police-cars on the roads, and clamp down on the most dangerous types of driving, which is not purely speeding......

Are you setting up a revolt on cameras then?

your so against the government/cameras and police and worry about the speed limits on our roads i take it that you are a persistant abuser of the 70mph rules,until you are on the receiving end i.e involved in an accident yourself or a member of your family/loved one (g.od forbid) you'll never know why people would be a supporter of the cams............yes we ALL speed but the trick is knowing when/where it is safe to do it.

Your license is only ever on loan and you can give it up whenever you want if you prefer to take public transport though you probably have condascending views on that as well,Oh well you cant please everyone i s'pose.

yes, do you want to join?

Biker me?..............yes m8 since 1976 when i was a mere young lad.

What are you doing on a M/Way on a bike,get on the A/B roads much more fun.

There are ways around the number plate issue when approaching gatsos...you just have to be devious :winky:

The more cameras the better i say.

Nope! That's for suckers. For example, government often asks "Would you pay more for a better health service".

They charge you more tax but then they don't deliver on the health service. The Tories have already shown that they've been placing speed cameras where there's likely to be more revenue than accidents.

The point of taxes is to spend the money how YOU DON'T WANT TO.

If they were going to spend the money how you wanted to, there'd be no point in taking it off you 'cos you would spend it that way anyway!

They're gangsters. This is 'protection' money. It doesn't save lives. It just seizes your money. jack Straw and the fat bar steward have both been caught speeding or driving in the bus lane that the fat bar steward put there. Remember, £millions of our taxes paid for that motorway and the fat bar steward vandalised it. Straw's excuse was that he thought the unmarked police car was following him. It was but that was because he was speeding!

You wouldn't believe some of the headways I have seen on the M25 for example at 80-100 mph with headways of circa 1 - .5 second!!!! thats the time of the gap between vehicles.

Been there. Done That.

Sunday evening returning from up North. Everyone hogging the outside lane. So I push closer to the car in front. But they don't get out of the way. I back off a little leaving a cars length, AND SOMEONE PUSHES IN!

Decided it wasn't worth it. If the Chavs around London want to risk a pile up to save a few minutes then there's no loss. I'm not going to lose life or limb because of some London skank-boy.

On economy runs when I'm running low there's no difference in the time it takes anyway.

Been there. Done That.

Sunday evening returning from up North. Everyone hogging the outside lane. So I push closer to the car in front. But they don't get out of the way. I back off a little leaving a cars length, AND SOMEONE PUSHES IN!

Decided it wasn't worth it. If the Chavs around London want to risk a pile up to save a few minutes then there's no loss. I'm not going to lose life or limb because of some London skank-boy.

On economy runs when I'm running low there's no difference in the time it takes anyway.

The thing is, with respect, you probably haven't been there and done that... do you actualy realise how close .5 second headway is on a car... it it closer than them appearing on you bumper in the rear view thats for sure!

Imagine how close a caravan is to the rear of you car, then take a little off that!

Why sit in the outside lane if it's queueing, the inside lanes are stress free and often moving quicker! :)

Personally I am happy to sit with the HGV's in lane 1 with the cruse on if it gets that daft (and I have had experiance of it many a time, esp on a Sunday when I used to commute back to London as well.)

Another interesting topic post :)

The speed cameras have been around nearly 15 years now :unsure:

Labour was not in power then..

All the parties are the same when it comes to voting :lol:

Give us another party to vote for :lol:

Put the police back on the streets and in there patrol cars,get rid of all the red tape paperwork they got to do nowadays.

I agree that traffic should be slowed down around schools.

But i dont agree with the amount of fixed and mobile speed cameras around :angry: Not there to make money my *****!!!

The councils spent thousands around my way,changing the road layout,OH yea theyve slowed the traffic down alright,brought it to one big stand still now :lol:

The state of the roads now are also in a poor poor state,so before long we all wont be able to speed without damage to our cars because of all the potholes.

How much of our road tax goes on the roads nowadays :unsure:

:offtopic::unsure:

Somethings got to change.They will be looking back at this in 50 years time thinking,how soft we have all become putting up with all this *****!!

Sorry getting carried away.

So when are we going to start our own party guys :D

:

Somethings got to change.They will be looking back at this in 50 years time thinking,how soft we have all become putting up with all this *****!!

this is Just the point In Britian, everyone moans and whinges, but does bugger all about it..............Less Talking.More action.

you know what, id go pull; over some Gatso's in revenue generating areas tommorow if i knew others would do the same :)

this is why and the only time you will hear me stick up for them...... The French have the right attitude ...if they dont like something they sure dam make it known.

now im gonna go wash my mouth out.......................

this is why and the only time you will hear me stick up for them...... The French have the right attitude ...if they dont like something they sure dam make it known.

It's a horrible thing to have to admit but I admire the French in that respect. If they don't like something they tear it up, whether it's parking meters or hippies.

There, i've said it. :sick:

The thing is, with respect, you probably haven't been there and done that... do you actualy realise how close .5 second headway is on a car... it it closer than them appearing on you bumper in the rear view thats for sure! 

With respect, you DEFINITELY don't know where I've been and what I've done. I tell you I've been there. YES bumpers just about touching at 100mph. And yes I don't need a calculator to tell you how far 0.5s at 100mph is. However it's a LOT further than a caravan attached to a tow bar.

100mph = 160.9km/h = 44.69m/s or 22.35m in half a second.

When it comes down to it. We all have about the same level of judgement and most of us have been there and done that. There was a hump-backed bridge in Stoke-on-Trent where everyone had clipped wing mirrors with cars coming the other way because it was so narrow for example.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links