Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Dublin Newbie

Hi folks,

Well, after 5 years of driving a 1 litre, 1996 VW Polo, I've decided my next car is going to be an IS200. I test drove one over the weekend (a model from early 2000 with 30k on the clock) and was impressed. Obviously, it's a whole different ball game compared to the Polo!! I've put down a nominal (100 Euro) deposit to take it off the market, and it's mine for the purchasing assuming I'm happy.

Now, to call a spade a spade, I'm no expert on cars, and am quite likely to be dazzled by a shiny wax-job! I had a look around the bodywork as best I could, and could see no sign of any rusting or corrosion, bar a few scrapes in the paintwork at the front. The alloys look like they might have seen the occasional kerb, but I'm not so bothered by that. I'm going to get a friend of mine who'd be a little more savvy to give it the once over with me, just to be sure. Is there anything in particular I should be looking for? Were there any issues specific to the model from early 2000?

Having looked around the forum for a while today, I'm a bit concerned about the CD changer Err3 issue. From what I can remember, the player in the car was the one with the slot underneath the radio. Am I right in thinking that it's just a single (narrow) slot, but that it's a 6CD changer internally? Or are there models from that vintage that have a single CD player (not a changer)? In any case, I want to test it before I buy.

Also, does anyone here know whether the 5 year warranty on the player extends to Ireland? I'm buying from an independent dealer (not a Lexus dealer), so I'm not sure if that will make things more difficult if problems with the player arise. If anyone has had any experience of trying to swap out the player in this neck of the woods, I'd like to hear their thoughts.

Sorry for the seriously newbie questions!! Any advice would be gratefully received.

Cheers,

Si

I'm in your neck of the woods............. contact Lexus Ireland regarding the warranty extension as I don't think it goes beyond 3 years in Ireland (could be wrong but think as usual we get the ****ty end of the stick!!)

Look out for uneven front tyre wear....... the insides of the tyres tend to wear alot faster than the outsides.........

Alloy wheele are prone to corrosion............ I have an 03 and they have started to show the initial signs so I'll be tackling Lexus on that front when I cahnge tyres shortly

I think there might have been a water pump issue with older models but the lads on here will know more about that than me?????????/

Notchy 1st to 2nd gear change to be expected ......

Buy shares in Statoil now cos you will be in there A LOT!! (coming from a 1L polo this will be the biggest shock to your system!!!........ I put €68 in mine on Sat and it might make it til this weekend!!!!!!!

Other than that can't think of anything else??????????/

What colour / model / spec etc is it and where you buying from?

Your out of warrenty mate! If the radio screws up your gonna have to fork out! I got my radio changed over here in Ireland but my Lex in a late 2001. Just beware of the dreaded ERR 3 and ERR 1

5 years old with only 30000? 6000 miles a year? emmmm Did they drive backwards or something?

Thanks guys, you're pretty speedy with the responses!

I certainly discovered the notchy 1st-2nd during the test drive, but any annoyance with that rapidly evaporated once I got to 2nd and put the foot down. Having driven the slowest car on the road for 5 years, having any kind of acceleration at all was a sheer joy. Now I see that overtaking doesn't *always* have to mean risking your life...

As regards the warranty, I will indeed give Lexus Ireland a call, as I wouldn't be at all surprised if we get the thin end of the wedge. We do with everything else!

I'm buying from a small indy called Car Nation in Bray. The ad is here if you fancy having a look. It's the standard model with sports suspension, apparently, "metallic gun metal" (I doubt that's the official name for the colour, somehow!) with black chenille upholstery. I must admit, the colour is actually my favourite for the IS, and seems to be fairly uncommon over here. Most people seem to have either Platinum or blue.

As regards the shares in Statoil, that will indeed come as a shock. Granted, I don't do huge mileage, but 20 Euro would keep me going for a few weeks at the moment. Those days are over, I think.

Thanks again for the info.

Si

Your out og warrenty mate! If the radio screws up your gonna have to fork out! I got my radio changed over here in Ireland but my Lex in a late 2001. Just beware of the dreaded ERR 3 and ERR 1

5 years old with only 20000? 4000 miles a year? emmmm Did they drive backwards or something?

Hmmph, thought as much. That'll be just my luck as well.

As regards mileage, two owners have had it for 2.5 years each, roughly. The most recent owner seems to have done about 8000 a year, the previous lady owner (obviously quite sedate) seems to have done about 4000.

In truth, I don't do more than about 6000 myself, since I don't drive to work under normal circumstances. It'll probably see most use for weekend spins out of Dublin. Should be fun for trips to Mayo, etc.

Si

No sunroof, nor indeed does it have a moonroof. :D

"Granite sky", eh? That's a bit more catchy, alright.

I'm concerned about this CD player issue, I must admit. I don't want to have to lash out over a grand for a replacement in the next couple of weeks. Oh well, I suppose I could be lucky. The sooner they put the Levinson sound system in as standard the better!

Si

The official colour is Granite Sky :D

Its weird but IS200's in the Irish market have different colour names than in the UK.

For example Aztec Fire is called Burnt Orange and I know another few but I just cannot remember them!

Do you know what trim level it is? I think in Ireland they have the IS200, IS200 Executive and IS200 Sport?

Can't be the base model as it has the 17" five spokers unless someone upgraded them at some stage?

It's the standard IS200. I've seen mention (in Irish locations only) of "IS200 Chenille". It could very well be one of those, although I believe the entry on the vehicle registration certificate is simply IS 200. As regards the colour name, the closest I can find on lexus.ie is "titanium". I'm not sure why they have different names here. Possibly because we're sick to death of looking at granite skies, it's not exactly a novelty!

So, for all you unbiased drivers out there, should I just go ahead and buy it??? :D :D

Si

It's the standard IS200. I've seen mention (in Irish locations only) of "IS200 Chenille". It could very well be one of those, although I believe the entry on the vehicle registration certificate is simply IS 200. As regards the colour name, the closest I can find on lexus.ie is "titanium". I'm not sure why they have different names here. Possibly because we're sick to death of looking at granite skies, it's not exactly a novelty!

So, for all you unbiased drivers out there, should I just go ahead and buy it???  :D  :D

Si

Someone must have upgraded the alloys then as I think the Chenille had the 16" ones. ( Good job too as the 16" ones are :sick: :sick: :sick: )

Looks in great nick too.

I would certainly go for it, you will love it :driving::driving:

It depends on the year lads.............

I have the base model............ its called IS200 Chenille here and I have the 17" five spokes.............. they seem to start fitting them as standard here sometime mid 2000 as I have never seen the 16"'s on anything younger than a 2000 regardless of trim level.

Si, you mentioned a sports suspension? From looking at your pics I don't think that is the Sport model (correct me if I am wrong guys??) so I think your dealer might be waffling there............ if it has alloy gear knob and drilled aluminium pedals then its a Sport which comes with a lower suspension set up and LSD.

Did you ckeck this one out? Looks like it has the 16"s but has body kit, leather, sport grille ..........

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?f...ar&carID=172916

I have a sneaking suspicion that the 17" alloys were an option on the regular model here, so that might explain that. They certainly look a lot better. Also, this car has the two-tone leather steering wheel, which again may have been an option back in the day.

Thanks for all the responses! I'm going to head out to have another look at it on Thursday, and bring along somebody who has a bit more of a clue than I do. All being well, I hope to pick it up on Saturday -- I'd like to have it for the bank holiday, after all. I'll keep you posted.

Si

Hi drummerboy.

I suspect it doesn't have the sports suspension, actually. He may well be waffling there. It does have the alloy gear knob (which was loose, actually -- he said he'd sort it out) but I don't think it had the drilled aluminium pedals.

I'd seen that other one advertised before. It seems to have been on the market for quite a while. Haven't been to see it myself, but in truth (and if this isn't sacrilege on a forum such as this!) I don't really like the look of the sport grille and body kit on that car...

Anyway, I'll pay a bit more attention on Thursday when I go see the other one again.

Si

Hi Diapason,

I'm trying to sell an 01 reg at the moment. I've inherited a diesel 5 Series and coz I do a fair bit of mileage, the diesel is looking more attractive.

Anyway, its a Black 01 reg, with 90,000 on the clock but before that frightens you off, it's had its timing belt changed, just had two front ball joints replaced and an overall service, in advance of its NCT. It's been services at Lexus dealers for every service and I have the relevant service receipts etc.

It has the 17" alloys, which became standard in 01 and all the other usual bits.

I've owned it since new, and have been a proud owner all along.

Anyway, if you're interested give me a shout

Hi guys, the deal is done, and I'm picking it up tomorrow. My second look at the car was with a much clearer head -- I didn't let the excitement take over this time!

Basically, it's in very good nick, and it's obvious it has been well looked after. I checked all the things suggested in the faq on this forum, and they all checked out. My independent advisor (!) agreed with me, so that was that. I can't wait to get it now!

PatrickOF, you're just a little too late! Sorry I can't help out, but best of luck with the sale. I can certainly see the benefits of going diesel with the miles that you're putting in. Enjoy the 5 series.

Cheers,

Si

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links