Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Sound Proofing?

I'm about to get some new Eagle F1 tyres that will help until they wear thin. I'd love a truly silent car though. Any tips?

Spend thousands of pounds on that ridiculously expensive (but effective) sound proofing foam/bitumim sandwich.

Try some Flashing Paper -(called Aquaseal from B&Q)

Its VERY VERY similar to Dynamat/Brown Bread etc sound proofing, but MUCH cheaper!

:D :D

I am currently covering my boot, wheel arches, parcelshelf and under the seats.

It is knackering!! :tomato::blink:

Try some Flashing Paper -(called Aquaseal from B&Q)

Its VERY VERY similar to Dynamat/Brown Bread etc sound proofing, but MUCH cheaper!

:D  :D

I am currently covering my boot, wheel arches, parcelshelf and under the seats.

It is knackering!!  :tomato:  :blink:

blue peter always used old egg boxes :hehe:

Why bother - you've got a great stereo - use it!

like it... rof24.gif

Daft. :yawn: Stereo does nothing to stop the background noise. You've got to have it louder to get over the road noise and even then you still loose clarity thanks to the interferring frequencies.

Sound insulation is what you want, not sound deadening. Although products like Dynamat and Marley tape work, there main job is to add mass to the panel to reduce 'rattles' and 'vibrations'

Sound insulation is products like foam, polystyrene blocks, not about Mass.

Some of the stuff i am talking about is what you will find under your carpets. Area's to attack is all wheel wells and Big in sound insulated areas such as boot floor under seats and floors. Doors would be good, but i would use marley tape or dynamat to cover the door holes then mount door cards back on.

Its not exspensive, time consuming yes!

Sound insulation is what you want, not sound deadening. Although products like Dynamat and Marley tape work, there main job is to add mass to the panel to reduce 'rattles' and 'vibrations'

Sound insulation is products like foam, polystyrene blocks, not about Mass.

Some of the stuff i am talking about is what you will find under your carpets. Area's to attack is all wheel wells and Big in sound insulated areas such as boot floor under seats and floors. Doors would be good, but i would use marley tape or dynamat to cover the door holes then mount door cards back on.

Its not exspensive, time consuming yes!

Good post, nice to have the distinction made clear. I sourced some sound insulating foam that they use in marine applications (to silence noisy motors) and it was of the order of 100 USD per sq meter!

Carpet underlay you say? That sounds (excuse pun) worthwhile investigating... Gotta be cheaper than the lead foam/bitumim/aluminum sandwich I was initially looking at.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links