Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tinkling Noise From The Roof

Hello everyone. I am sort of new here. Purchased a 51 SE recently which had done 18k miles and is a fantastic car except for one thing.

When I open the roof (even when the just the cover is open and glass is closed) a strange tinkling noise is produced from somewhere near the centre light unit.

Strangely enough it goes away when I close the cover. Its really irritating and i can't drive the car peacefully if I leave the sunroof open.

Does anyone know any solution of this problem?

I asked the previous owner and he said something about some wire being loose and the dealer too wasnt able to do anything about it.

PLEASE HELP!!!

Thanks in advance for your help.

if as suggested by the previous owner the wiring is in fact loose, could you not perhaps tape it down with some insulation tape?

if the wire is required to hang between the roof line and skin maybe you could stretch it taught, ever so slightly?

just a thought maybe?! :blush:

dude .... i dunno if its tinkling or what. But I had a problem with mine (i posted quite a few msgs about it a while back ... hahaha). Near the dome light, whenever i go over any surface short of perfect flatness, I would hear some sort of noise (like flapping).

I would think that for u, its probably not that it goes away when you close the liner, rather its just insulated.

Anyways, I talked with a mechanic, and it seems alot of IS' have this problem. Its seriously annoying.. and also embarassing when my passengers constantly ask about it!

Anyways, I told my garage to take the whole assembly apart, re-siliconed the rails/stoppers at the back of the rail which hold the glass (when fully opened).

The problem then went away (fingers crossed!!!!! :P ).

They didnt change any part, they didnt tape anything ... nada ... Im still at a loss of what caused the problem .... but now its gone, I dont really care anymore ..hehehe

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links