Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Forums Game - Puzzles and Brain Teasers

Matthew_McNally

Shall we setup a really simple game for everyone to play?

I'll post a puzzle / brain teaser / trick question type dealy to start it off.

If you know the answer - post it.

But you only post the answer if you are prepared to add a brain teaser of your own to keep the game going.

Right - easy one to start.

Place parentheses where needed to make this equation true:

2 + 2 x 2 - 2/2 = 7

Originally posted by Loz

So Mat,

Can't sleep?

Loz

sleep is for.... people who aren't spending the night preparing the work they should be doing tomorrow, on the basis that they won't be able to do it tomorrow, because they know they will be spending all day talking about working - rather than actually working.

You know what I mean mate (what we were talking about in Gold)!

Ah well - finish off it a bit, then go and belly up at the trough.

OK - another (relatively) easy one to keep the ball rolling... hopefully not many of you have seen this one.

You have 3 switches in a room on the 3rd floor. 2 of the switches do nothing, the other one operates a (fully working) lightbulb in the basement. From the room on the 3rd floor you cannot see the light in the basement.

In ONE TRIP ONLY how can you tell - with 100% certainty - which switch from the 3 operates the light in the basement.

Originally posted by Div

You have 3 switches in a room on the 3rd floor. 2 of the switches do nothing, the other one operates a (fully working) lightbulb in the basement. From the room on the 3rd floor you cannot see the light in the basement.

In ONE TRIP ONLY how can you tell - with 100% certainty - which switch from the 3 operates the light in the basement.

Is it you just flick all three switches, two don't do anything and one turns the light on?

Or the question more complex? Can you only flick one switch?

Originally posted by Div

OK then ..... how about

Stand in the third floor room.

Flick switch 1 on.

Leave it on for half an hour.

Turn it off and flick switch 2.

Run down to the basement.

If the light is ON - switch 2 is correct.

If it is OFF - then check if the bulb is hot.

If the bulb is hot, then switch 1 is the right answer.

If it is not hot, then switch 3 is the right answer.

I reckon that is right - so will make new post with the next teaser shortly.

Darn - I knew there was a reason not to answer...... errrrr - who am I?

Temp isn't me, I am usually here under another name.

A Ray of Light.

A Lexus driver who is better known for not driving a Lexus.

Perhaps too easy - but not playing......

Originally posted by Temp

Darn - I knew there was a reason not to answer...... errrrr - who am I?

Temp isn't me, I am usually here under another name.

A Ray of Light.

A Lexus driver who is better known for not driving a Lexus.

Perhaps too easy - but not playing......

Are you Red?

I'll set another - bit of an old one though.

Three men checked into a hotel room for which they paid £30.

The next day, the manager realized that the men had been overcharged. She gave the bellhop £5 to return to the three men.

On the way to their room the bellhop decided to keep £2 for himself, and give each of the three men one pound.

The three men had now paid £9 each, or a total of £27.

This plus the £2 the bellhop kept makes a total of £29.

What happened to the other pound?

Matt - nice one on the lightbulb problem.

To answer yours: it's evilly deceptive maths - the bellhop should minus the £2, not add it; hence £27-£2=£25 rather than £27

(Each man paid £9 for a total of £27. Of that £27, £2 went to the bell boy, £25 went to the hotel.

OK, this one's a bit crap, but I couldn't think of any other ones that don't involve a picture:

You wake up and you are in a room with concrete walls, floor and ceiling with no cracks, doors, windows or vents. Yet you can smell food which is not in the room - where how is the smell getting in?

Originally posted by Div

OK, this one's a bit crap, but I couldn't think of any other ones that don't involve a picture:

You wake up and you are in a room with concrete walls, floor and ceiling with no cracks, doors, windows or vents. Yet you can smell food which is not in the room - where how is the smell getting in?

have you farted and it smells like Sprouts?

:smug:

Originally posted by Div

struggling on this one mate - if it isn't a case that it is only the celing that has no cracks, doors windows etc - then give us a clue?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links