Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Just Got Car ! Tried Everything Still Bubbling

Hi Guys,

As some of you know I got my GS300 MK1 last week and had the AA out straight after I left the motorway due to the expansion tank bubbling !

Symptoms:

Expansion tank bubbling

Temp OK no problem, heaters ok, No mayo or sighns of BHG except a slight smell of petrol in the expansion tank (or maybe its just me)

Both pipes get very hot/hard equally (thermo removed)

Other then this the cars beautifull and just needs a idling pulley bearing fitting as a bit noisy

Did the following to cure the problem:

New thermostat

New Rad cap

Ran water through the RAD and it came out clean and flowed nicely

Drained and re-filled with Toyota red stuff (dam expensive)

Even currently have the car running without the thermo as it overheated when I did fit it.

Its really got me down and after spending a whole day doing the above and the money ive spent ive had enough !

What could it be ? why is the temp gauge not going up even though the waters bubbling (I know its working because when the thermostat was on it did go way up)

Could a failed water pump cause this ?

The radiator must be ok as water ran through fine ?

Ive had enough and may just cut my losses and stick her through an auction or go back to the guy who sold it me as he assured me it was fine and I did ask him if there were any head gasket problems or anything (trader from home)

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated I really like the car and want to keep it :mellow:

If it were me I'd get your lexus dealer give it the once over, they should only charge you an hours labour - 50 or 60 quid. At least that way youll know exactly what the problem is and weather or not to have it sorted

if you bought it from a trader dealing from his house this would be my first port of call.tell him to fix it as he is bound by the rules of any other trader and as you only bought the car a week ago you could even give it back for a full refund.if he refuses get trading standards involved as in my experiance most people trading from home are not paying tax and in most cases should not even be trading from home .have you had a compression test done on the head to check the head gasket is ok.

Pretty sure that even if he is a trader selling from home, he either has to give you three months warranty or sell you goods fit for use, by law. If he refuses to fix the problem then you could take him to court, although a visit to Citizens Advice Bureau first would be better - or if you are a member of the FSB you can get free legal advice over the phone?

Hi guys,

Thanks for the responses, just been looking at my rights and I have a few, im waiting for a mechanic friend to check it out so he can confirm what it is. I will wait and see before I call the dealer, I have the AA report confirming the problem occured an hour after I picked the car up ! If its a head gasket the cars going back or he can pay for the repairs ! Just wondering if anyone else had experienced the above symptons ? I got a feeling it is a BHG ! No compression test done yet.

Feel like going round his and blowing his head gasket as im definate he was aware of the problem !

UPDATE and PIC

Mechanic had a look at it and took it for a test run, said runs like a dream and then we checked the radiator (whilst expansion tank was bubbling like someone was blowing into the pipe, streams of bubbles were coming up) most parts of the radiator were cold even though the engine/coolant were HOT !

He said the radiator may be blocked (I ran a hose pipe through it the other day and it was fine) Any other way of checking this ?? I am able to take the rad out myself..

Now I think as randyreindeer suggested it may be the water pump as its like theres no FORCE pushing the water around the system so the bottom pipe is not sucking the water and the top pipe is not forcing water into the radiator, and the water stays where it is and over heats thus forcing from the top pipe into the expansion tank !

I can get a radiator very cheap and thats a new one for about £120, how hard is it to fit a water pump ?

I did get the car for a very good price but didnt expect major problems... I want my scooby back :-( will still phone the guy up tmrw and see what he says

MUDZ HERE SHE IS

lex.jpg

Hi,When the engines cold take the cap off the expansion tank or the cap off the rad,DONT do it when its warm or your going to get burnt :excl:

With the engine just running at tick over get someone to tickle the throttle,if all well then the water/coolant level should rise,if there is a thermostat in the engine you will have to wait for the engine to warm up(with the cap off)but it should still rise.when the rpm falls the level should go back down,of course as the engine gets hotter it will start it to overflow out of the rad cap.

Like the others have said,the rad could be partly blocked or theres air in the system or worst of all the headgasket is on its way out,but you would see water in the oil or oil in the water,and before the days of Cats a steamy exhaust gases if its really bad.

Hope that is of some help.

Car looks good by the way :winky:

May be take the car back to where you bought it or get it checked out by a good garage.

Cheers chips.

Hi Guys,

Thanks again..

I did phone the trader up and told him I dont mind spending a little bit on the car (water pump etc) but if its a headgasket problem im going to want him to sort it..He was quite nice about it and said see how you get on and if its major I will sort something out, im gonna get a bit out of him anyway.

I got it for a good price and im a fair person hence my patience and I know when the cars done fully it will be a dream..

I fitted a radiator today brand new and guess what ! the bloody radiator stays COLD, the thermo dont open and the engine gets really hot when touching it(needle stays in middle), the bottom pipe still stays cold and the top pipe gets piping hot, the bottom pipe is cold but you can feel a lot of pressure in the pipe ! Its like theres no circulation (water pump?) and there is a bearing gone on one of the pulleys so which pulley is the water pump behind ? fan pulley ?

Chips I tried the trick you suggested and theres not much movement in the water when reving the engine !

What pushes the water around the system ? does the water pump just aid the circulation or is it the sole contributor of the circulation ?

My mechanic cant look at it for a while he's very busy hence why im trying to find answers in the meantime, and I dont trust the other cowboys.

PS: Anyone looking for a rad PM me I will get you in touch with someone, its the least I can do for your contributions.

Hi Guys,

Thanks again..

I did phone the trader up and told him I dont mind spending a little bit on the car (water pump etc) but if its a headgasket problem im going to want him to sort it..He was quite nice about it and said see how you get on and if its major I will sort something out, im gonna get a bit out of him anyway.

I got it for a good price and im a fair person hence my patience and I know when the cars done fully it will be a dream..

I fitted a radiator today brand new and guess what ! the bloody radiator stays COLD, the thermo dont open and the engine gets really hot when touching it(needle stays in middle), the bottom pipe still stays cold and the top pipe gets piping hot, the bottom pipe is cold but you can feel a lot of pressure in the pipe ! Its like theres no circulation (water pump?) and there is a bearing gone on one of the pulleys so which pulley is the water pump behind ? fan pulley ?

Chips I tried the trick you suggested and theres not much movement in the water when reving the engine !

What pushes the water around the system ? does the water pump just aid the circulation or is it the sole contributor of the circulation ?

My mechanic cant look at it for a while he's very busy hence why im trying to find answers in the meantime, and I dont trust the other cowboys.

PS: Anyone looking for a rad PM me I will get you in touch with someone, its the least I can do for your contributions.

could be an airlock i've had pretty much that effect in another car but must admit it did overheat too. I have found with the waterpumps i have had go on me they leak before they stop working altogether and have you seen about filling the radiator up with the correct fluid as you shouldn't use just a water antifreeze mix there is a specific toyota fluid and constantly dropping and refilling that could get expensive

Are you still not having any look with this car? Sounds sad that another lexus is struggling with overheating problems, does the expansion tank liquid only bubble when its warm, could be early signs of the head gasket going, I'd just take it back to the garage you bought it from, as has been said, and make them deal with it, especially if you have proof it did it the day you picked it up.

It could be someone has put rad weld in and blocked the bottom of the radiator. have you taken the radiator out, or removed the pipes from it and run water through it? It could be one of the pipes thats blocked, or a buggered thermostat not opening.

Edit :- Sorry you've already mentioned all the stuff I've thought of in the previous posts, and you've tried several of them already... Just out of curiosity is there pressure on the expansion tank with the cap off, could be the head gasket is on its way, but only shows signs when it warms up

Nice looking car you got thier :driving: .i would still say head gasket as the problem seems very simaler to what craig went through ,have a compression test done by the garage and see what that turns up .

Hi,

I changed the whole radiator with a new one and the pipes were ok not blocked though there was a bit of mud/sand in the expansion tank which I washed out. I was going to run water through the head to see if any crap came out but thought best keep the aluminium head away from tap water.

Expansion tank behaves normal with the cap off, I think it's the water pump/head gasket as the water stays where it is and doesnt move anywhere and overheats !

I did everything I could, anyone had a failed water pump here ? I got the car 80miles away hence my reluctance to take it back as its not really drivable...Think I will get it checked by Toyota

I know you said you have had the stat out but if you remove it, can you get a view of the rear of the water pump impellor or maybe poke something into it to see if it turns on its own?

This may sound daft but does the pump spin freely without the fan belt on and is the belt on the correct way so it is driving the pump?

Nice one Rand, great idea mate: take the stat out and check the pump propellor !

Will do when it stops raining, the bearing noise was coming from the idling pulley (centre pulley) according to the AA who checked with his stethescope...

The water pump is behind the alternator according to the Supra diagrams so will get up behind it to listen for any strange noises being emmited from there, if it's the water pump that would make sense of everything ! The noise is defo a bearing and not the pump screaming..

In the meantime I will just enjoy the super sound system on the drive lol

Thanks again guys !

Have not got round to taking the thermo out yet and checking the water pump propellor, but I did fire her up for a bit and theres no coolant circulation what so ever although theres plenty of pressure on the hoses but everythings stone cold except the poor engine ! Just waiting for the miserable weather to clear up and to think its JUNE tut !

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links