Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Porter Cable Question

Hi all, I am trying to polish my car for the first time using porter cable , but the one I have is a bit too fast (Thats what I think :hehe: ) around 2000 rpm and makes loud noise and I am worried I might burn my paint. Did anyone try this kit?

This is the link for the kit http://www.felisatti.it/1024x768/EN/catalo...N&IDARTICOLO=71

Any tips? :huh:

With the power off, what happens when you spin the polishing head with your hand?

If it spins freely, it's a random-orbit polisher.

If it turns the motor, it's a rotary polisher (a glorified angle grinder).

A random orbit polisher will jiggle the polishing head about randomly. You can actually grab the head with the power on, all it does is rattle around in your hand.

With a rotary polisher you can burn your paint unless you're very careful. Let's face it, do you really want to polish your car with an angle grinder?

The one in the picture looks like a grinder.

Compare the two following pictures:-

20021101200000_7428_72dpi_500.jpg

This is the Porter Cable 7428 polisher. Notice the connection between polishing pad and gearbox. This is not a random orbit polisher.

20021101200000_7424_72dpi_500.jpg

This is the Porter Cable 7424 RANDOM ORBIT polisher. Again, notice the connection between polishing pad and gearbox. That extra bit carries a weight that's driven round by the motor, the pad itself connects to a ball-race bearing that spins freely.

Basically, it's a 400 watt rumble pack with a polishing pad attached!

The one I have is more powerful but it is variable speed so I can adjust it.

What I would definitely reccommend though is that you do NOT try it on your car straight away if you haven't used one before. If you know somebody with an old banger or you can get an old wing then experiment on that first. Get used to it and how to angle it properly and control it. There is a section on here about detailing and using a polisher . Read through that . It gives some good tips on using one.

machine buffing

Hi all, I am trying to polish my car for the first time using porter cable , but the one I have is a bit too fast (Thats what I think  :hehe: ) around 2000 rpm and makes loud noise and I am worried I might burn my paint. Did anyone try this kit?

This is the link for the kit http://www.felisatti.it/1024x768/EN/catalo...N&IDARTICOLO=71

Any tips? :huh:

I'm afraid thats not a random orbital polisher, but like the others said, a fixed head grinder/polisher for bare metal polishing and wood sanding :crying:

DO NOT use this to polish your car... in my opinion anyway, I use these every day to sand/polish/grind metals :huh:

Thanks for the feedback lads, Just finished washing my car, I guess I will hand polish it and wax it. Thats the safest option, sense I don't have any experience. I might try it on my brother's car ..hes got old fiesta ;)

I've become a bit wary of these polishers recently, especially after the damage the bodyshop did to my car with their polishers  :sick:  :sick:

which is why I have always advocated a random orbit machine like the Porter Cable.

a rotary buffer is a great tool, and can give great results.

but - there is a true technique and skill to using it. The risk of getting it wrong is severe damage to your paint.

...whereas a random orbit polisher can work wonders even in the hands of a beginner. Here's a Rover 220 Tomcat I polished last week (click to enlarge):-

rearpasst.jpg

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links