Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Need Help On Pipe Choice!

Over here, the Car Sound highflow cat is popular with IS enthusiasts. Cheap too (well, about GBP80 for part + installation).

As for the power flow pipe mentioned at the opening post, I'd say to leave it till later. Sort out the muffler, the air in-take, the main cat, the pre-cats in the header/manifold, then worry about that :)

If you get Powerflow to fit an exhaust system from the manifold back...your gonna be talking seriously loud!! :crying:

I say get the Kazama rear box, have the pre-cats cut out of the manifold and an induction kit fitted! Your 500 quid should cover that and you'll be well chuffed with the outcome....sound and performance wise!! :)

Yep get the kazama mate, the blue flame also has some appeal now looking at how many ppl are saying good things..

On Daza W's car it was quiter than my HKS Silent Hi-Power on my altezza, his is turbo'd too!

Hey I was about to go out this weekend and get a power flow pipe fitted from manifold back. But then i was reading a small review on here by fidgits who said that powerflow arent good for is200 and may loose power due to lack of backpresser.

I want to get as much power as i can and get something from the manifold back, i was going to get the prolex hi flow performance cat and the kazama muffler but thats looking at nearly 600 quid.

I was looking at more round the 500 mark if poss.

Help me as if i dont buy it soon my money will disappear (it has a bad habbit of doing this) : (

Cheers

And am i the youngest person on here with a lexus im 18 : ).

Im 18 to :D i have HKS hyper back box :ph34r:

How the H*ll did you get insured on a lexus with an S/C at your age????? Im 22 and they wont even quote me a price with an S/C :crybaby:

Cheers Lads you've all helped loads, glad i can have a few ppl that know some stuff bout this. Had a bike and did that up a bit now gotta start doing to the car, only had the baby 3 months,

I'll causually say :crybaby: that when i get my new job (a lot better paid than mine at the mo) matt's monsta will be in danger i wanna get 4 figures out of the 2gz-gte when i get one in mine give me a few years the trust fund is starting to grow : D

I'm fitting a full Blue Flame system to mine in a few days, ill post up about it once its done.

Which tailpipe did you go for Andy?

How do I remove the cats from the maifold or what ever your all going on about?

What does it do and can i do it or how much does it cost to get done?

The cats are not in the manifold.

There are four pieces of pipe to consider (going backwards from the block to the rear of the car):

1) The manifold (or headers) where there are two sensors - the O2 and Lambna sensors which need to be there for the throttle to work.

2) The downpipe which contains the pre-cats. The OEM downpipe can be replaced with a pipe that does not contain cats, but the engine needs to be hot if it is to comply with MOT emissions regs.

3) The cat itself. Prolex make a free flow cat for the IS200 that is compliant with the MOT regs. There are other straight through (non-catted cat) sections also available but you would need to replace this for the MOT as the emissions would fail.

4) The cat-back pipe and back box (muffler). This is the most common and easier modification but tends to improve the sound rather than improve output.

The cats are not in the manifold.

There are four pieces of pipe to consider (going backwards from the block to the rear of the car):

1) The manifold (or headers) where there are two sensors - the O2 and Lambna sensors which need to be there for the throttle to work.

2) The downpipe which contains the pre-cats. The OEM downpipe can be replaced with a pipe that does not contain cats, but the engine needs to be hot if it is to comply with MOT emissions regs.

3) The cat itself. Prolex make a free flow cat for the IS200 that is compliant with the MOT regs. There are other straight through (non-catted cat) sections also available but you would need to replace this for the MOT as the emissions would fail.

4) The cat-back pipe and back box (muffler). This is the most common and easier modification but tends to improve the sound rather than improve output.

The down pipe with the pre cat where can i get one of those with them removed, or can i get them removed.

You know a thing or two u ever been a mechanic or u just one of those ppl who take things apart and put them back together till it works .

Cheers

The down pipe with the pre cat where can i get one of those with them removed, or can i get them removed.

You know a thing or two u ever been a mechanic or u just one of those ppl who take things apart and put them back together till it works .

Cheers

I had mine taken out by Gordon's mate Steve. If you ask Gord i'm sure he'll be able to tell you exactly what is involved :D

Cheers

I had mine taken out by Gordon's mate Steve. If you ask Gord i'm sure he'll be able to tell you exactly what is involved :D

i cant email him i think its cos im not gold yet, did it cost much and what are the benifits, more hp the better, i got killed by a sl500 today

(not suprising really) i should stop trying to race anything on the road

(was easy to kill anything on a motorbike :crybaby: )

Should have some hp gain but i'm not sure how much. As the outflow is not as restricted. ( Can you tell i dont really know what i'm on about ? :blush: )

Try to PM Gord. Or he'll probably be along soon to advise or someone will :D

I'm fitting a full Blue Flame system to mine in a few days, ill post up about it once its done.

Which tailpipe did you go for Andy?

This one.

I don't think i'll get any choice about it, just a standard 4in exit. Not that im fussed though at that price! :D

Cheers

i cant email him i think its cos im not gold yet, did it cost much and what are the benifits, more hp the better, i got killed by a sl500 today

(not suprising really) i should stop trying to race anything on the road

(was easy to kill anything on a motorbike :crybaby: )

The simplest way to remove the pre-cats either involve cutting them out altogether and welding in place a simple pipe, or cutting open the part and removing the pre-cat's insides. The common practice here is the former, so I'm not very familiar with the latter, though the UK workshops seem to do that more often. If you want a replacement header/manifold, TTE used to make a complete piece. They've stopped making them now (no idea why). I don't know about the UK, but over in Singapore there's ONE workshop who took the TTE piece apart and now have detailed machining specs and should be able to manufacture TTE-spec pieces. Probably cost you somewhere in the range of GBP300-350 (not sure, haven't spoken to the chap in awhile)

That said, I'm fairly certain that the pre-cats are in the manifold/header. Last time I had my car jacked up, I took a peek and what I saw were the following 4 sections

(1) manifold/header with the 6 pipes being gathered into 2 pipes. The 2 pipes had what looked very much like a cat to me (ie. a lump? best way to describe it I suppose. A section of the pipe that is thicker and has a heat shield around it). You can actually see from of this by just peeking into the engine bay. left side of the engine).

(2) downpipe from the manifold/header leading to the cat. Nothing much here, just 2 pipes gradually gathering into 1.

(3) the cat

(4) the back-box/muffler. well, not quite, as with most designs, there's a pipe leading from the cat, then the muffler (the big box you see at the end of most exhausts) and finally the tip.

A guy over here basically ripped out the whole thing, put in the TTE-spec manifold/header, then basically a straight 2.75in pipe all the way to a new muffler. The silly bloke had no other modifications other than an aftermarker air filter. The noise drove him nuts and there was only a little gain at the high end and some decrease at the low end. In the end he replaced everything but the headers with original OEM bits.

I think the 1st order of things would be replacing the back-box, air-filter and fitting in a high-flow cat. Virtually impossible for a workshop to screw up too ;)

Over here, the Car Sound highflow cat is popular with IS enthusiasts. Cheap too (well, about GBP80 for part + installation).

tell me more. what gains, where from, will it fit uk is200 zaust

cheers

Hi,

I have no idea where you can obtain the Car Sound cat in the UK, but it will definately fit the is200 exhaust. Actually, there are very few cars that have special specs cat-wise. Afterall, a cat is effectively just a pollution filter placed between 2 pipes.

Anyway, here's the website.

http://www.car-sound.com/

You won't find the IS on the application list, but if you were to contact the local distributor, I'm sure there's a piece that'll fit nicely.

Performance wise, the logic behind a high-flow cat is largely the same as having an after-market muffler. Basically it's just to reduce the restrictions in the exhaust system, so most gains will be felt in the mid to high range where there are more exhaust gasses that needs to get out.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links