Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Mars Spectacular!

SHAHZ

Just got this email

MARS SPECTACULAR!

The Red Planet is about to be spectacular! This month and next, Earth is catching up with Mars in an encounter that will culminate in the closest

approach between the two planets in recorded history. The next time Mars may come this close is in 2287. Due to the way Jupiter's gravity tugs on Mars and perturbs its orbit, astronomers can only be certain that Mars has not come this close to Earth in the Last 5,000 years, but it may be as long as 60,000 years before it happens again.

The encounter will culminate on August 27th when Mars comes to within 34,649,589 miles of Earth and will be (next to the moon) the brightest object in the night sky. It will attain a magnitude of -2.9 and will appear 25.11 arc seconds wide. At a modest 75-power magnification

Mars will look as large as the full moon to the naked eye. Mars will be easy to spot. At the beginning of August it will rise in the east at 10pm. and reach its azimuth at about 3 a.m.

By the end of August when the two planets are closest, Mars will rise at nightfall and reach its highest point in the sky at 12:30a.m. That's pretty convenient to see something that no human being has seen in recorded history. So, mark your calendar at the beginning of August to see Mars grow progressively brighter and brighter throughout the month.

NO ONE ALIVE TODAY WILL EVER SEE THIS AGAIN

Erm I'm not much of an astronomer but I don't see how it would look that big. Its half the size of the earth and 34 million miles away.

agreed... it is an impossibility for this to be the case, especially for mars to appear as the size of the moon to the naked eye.

The moon is roughly 3500km in diameter and only 250,000 miles away.

Mars is roughly 7000km in diameter but as referred will be 34 million miles away.

The logic just seems incorrect.

Unless you do some maths work using the magnification powers system.

Mars:

7000km at mag power 75 appears at 525000km diameter at distance of 34 million miles.

Moon

3500km at mag power 1 appears at 3500km diameter at distance of 250,000 miles.

Mathematically viewable ratio

distance / size

34,000,000 / 525000 = 65

250,000 / 3500 = 71

So in that sense, if you were to look at mars through a telescope technically speaking it would be the same size as the moon with the naked eye.

If that makes sense...

So maths proves I was right? Woah cool. Thanks Niraj. Sounds like you know what you're talking about. Into astronomy?

I'm into EVERYTHING.

All knowledge = power.

There is no power system in the world that is 100% efficient, therefore i cannot consume all knowledge, but i try to learn things whereever and whenever possible. :D

Please excuse that very posh statement. lol :hehe:

PS: i'm not a geek, HONEST! :huh:

Sorry guys, read it again. A carriage return has been inserted wrongly , it should read thus (I think) :

At a modest 75-power magnification Mars will look as large as the full moon to the naked eye.

Sorry guys, read it again. A carriage return has been inserted wrongly , it should read thus (I think) :

At a modest 75-power magnification Mars will look as large as the full moon to the naked eye.

Absolutely, using Niraj's figures I calculate that when viewed at 75x mag Mars will have an included angle of 33.18 minutes of arc against the moon at 30.24 minutes of arc :)

that is all rubbish...........

it means the all powerful deities are coming to watch you naughty little earth children, sprinkling their cosmic dust powder over the innocent and their lightining bolts of wrath on the guilty......

i seeketh now a mighty tree to hug, and some weeds to smoke. :duh:

it means the all powerful deities are coming to watch you naughty little earth children, sprinkling their cosmic dust powder over the innocent and their lightining bolts of wrath on the guilty......

Weather bad up you way then is it Dan :hehe:

Weather bad up you way then is it Dan :hehe:

well i'm not looking forward to the walk to school to pick number 2 son up.............. :crying:

and does anybody in LOC work in a telescope shop does anyody know?

well i'm not looking forward to the walk to school to pick number 2 son up.............. :crying:

That mean your more lightning bolts than cosmic dust material :crybaby:

and does anybody in LOC work in a telescope shop does anyody know?

You can make a simple telescope with 3 kitchen roll tubes some sticky backed plastic and a couple of magnifying glasses. Full instuctions are on the Blue Peter web site :hehe:

You can make a simple telescope with 3 kitchen roll tubes some sticky backed plastic and a couple of magnifying glasses. Full instuctions are on the Blue Peter web site

Sounds like an induction kit

You can make a simple telescope with 3 kitchen roll tubes some sticky backed plastic and a couple of magnifying glasses. Full instuctions are on the Blue Peter web site

Sounds like an induction kit

In a Corsa perhaps :lol:

so it will be 75 times smaller than a  full moon

to the naked eye

awesome

i'll dig my jamjar NHS glasses out :)

And 5625 times smaller in area don't forget.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links