Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Finally Found My Is200

After a long search I have found and bought the lexus I wanted. IS200 Sport, Silver, 28k, 2001Y.

Although the car is almost perfect there are a few things that need doing.

1) Annual Service is due, already booked in for the 25th.

2) There is no spare wheel, the wheels are the 11 spoke 17" alloys in graphite (although I am refurbishing them and am considering silver). Lexus have quoted £370 for a new one, anyone have any second hand?

3) The chrome gear knob is very scuffed and needs replacing.

4) The piece of plastic which covers the screws that hold the rear view mirror in place is missing lexus quoted me £30 for a replacement.

5) The interior trim on the drivers pillar has a burn mark, lexus have quoted me £70 for a replacement.

6) I am considering spraying the brake calipers and putting on chrome lexus decals, any advice on the best colour and the best source for decals?

7) The orange lights on the interior look like an old fashioned calculator, and i heard you can replace these with modern blue leds? Is this difficult, can you still dim/brighten the bulbs? Can it be done on both the dash and center console?

8) I am fitting an in car PC and would like to get a replacement top part of the center console so I can drill the holes needed and still keep the original panel intact (sorry for the poor description the panel is from the air vents upwards).

I love the car, and its actually much more sporty than I was lead to believe (speed constantly creeps up while i'm not watching). I was challenged four times last night to a race, although only the S2000 was worth my attention. I thought the S2000 would be far faster, but it turns out they are very similar. After that I put a classical CD on and decided to be a bit more mature in my driving. For such an understated car it attracts so much more attention than I ever imagined. I feel like royalty. If I didn't have a girlfriend, lol.

Sorry the post is so long, get in touch if you can help with any of the parts or just advice. I'm a very happy bunny.

After a long search I have found and bought the lexus I wanted. IS200 Sport, Silver, 28k, 2001Y.

2) There is no spare wheel, the wheels are the 11 spoke 17" alloys in graphite (although I am refurbishing them and am considering silver). Lexus have quoted £370 for a new one, anyone have any second hand?

28k on a Y plate ?? Wow, sounds good to me. :D

Somebody had a 5 spoke spare for £50 Yesterday (on this site). If it's only a spare, it might be worth looking him up.

The chrome gear knob on mine was badly scuffed. Cost about £20 for a new one from Lexus - definitely worth it. I had a look at others from places like Ripspeed, but they were quite a bit larger than the standard Lexus one. So I'd definitely go to Lexus. Piece of advice (not that your stupid or anything) - keep the old gear knob. It'll come in handy when you need to have your car serviced or if ever put in a garage. These things get scuffed due to people wearing rings, and you don't want that to happen to your new one.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Lexus btw.

S2000 is definitely faster. One left me behind accelerating this morning.

I wasnt going to comment...

But since you have...

The S2000 is lighter with about 60bhp more - if you left him, he wasnt trying....

Although the car is almost perfect there are a few things that need doing.

1) Annual Service is due, already booked in for the 25th.

4) The piece of plastic which covers the screws that hold the rear view mirror in place is missing lexus quoted me £30 for a replacement.

5) The interior trim on the drivers pillar has a burn mark, lexus have quoted me £70 for a replacement.

6) I am considering spraying the brake calipers and putting on chrome lexus decals, any advice on the best colour and the best source for decals?

7) The orange lights on the interior look like an old fashioned calculator, and i heard you can replace these with modern blue leds? Is this difficult, can you still dim/brighten the bulbs? Can it be done on both the dash and center console?

8) I am fitting an in car PC and would like to get a replacement top part of the center console so I can drill the holes needed and still keep the original panel intact (sorry for the poor description the panel is from the air vents upwards).

I love the car, and its actually much more sporty than I was lead to believe (speed constantly creeps up while i'm not watching). I was challenged four times last night to a race, although only the S2000 was worth my attention. I thought the S2000 would be far faster, but it turns out they are very similar. After that I put a classical CD on and decided to be a bit more mature in my driving. For such an understated car it attracts so much more attention than I ever imagined. I feel like royalty. If I didn't have a girlfriend, lol.

Sorry the post is so long, get in touch if you can help with any of the parts or just advice. I'm a very happy bunny.

Mmmm, the S2000 is a performance masterpiece, I think the driver was, er, patronising you a little. The IS would get nowhere near it.

Thought they were about 240bhp - thats 85bhp more. :o I took mine to the red line this morning and it was like I was going backwards.

Hi there, thanks for the advice so far.

As for the S2000, I said I thought it would be a lot faster, and they were similar. That does not mean I beat him, as i didn't. He was trying though and maybe his S2000 had too many miles on the clock, or had been trashed a bit. My sport does seem much faster than I thought it is supposed to be, so maybe its had some extra tuning. I read its supposed to have a top speed of 134mph and 0-60mph in 9 seconds? I don't like admitting it, but we were both well over 140mph when we had to slow down for traffic and the is was still accelerating. We hadn't started from standstill but from 80mph, which I suppose lessoned his advantage. I realised it was a stupid thing to do that sort of speed, but its a new car and you have to test it out once, don't you?

How much did I pay? Well, after I have spent the money on the parts, and respraying the bumper (couple of minor scratches), service, tax etc etc, it should stand me at less than £10,000. For a sport with full service history, low mileage etc I don't think thats bad, especially now I have driven it.

5-spoke alloy for £50, that should do as a spare, where do you live?

I had an s2000 on demo a few years for two weeks and also an accord type r for two weeks. They are both seriously quick cars, at about 4500 it just accelerates even more something to do with increase in venturi size - the techies will no doubt know exactley what happens. The accord was better from my point as it had a solid roof like a car should.

Have raced, well it wasnt really a race, it was me just looking stupid, against a civic type r. If I remember they red line at 8500 and can just hit 80 in 2nd !!

If you out run one I would agree that he wasn't trying.

That said, I bought a Lexus not a Type R, they are much better even after trialing one for a couple of weeks, you can still have some serious fun in your lex, I do !!

R

Just read your other post.

You do have fun then !!

I actually got betweem 130 and 140 in mine against a TT, but didn't have much time to look at the clock to see exactly what speed, but it had no more left.

I think Tacho's lose accuracy protionately the faster you go.

Took the s2000 to 112 but roof was down and up a hill, and I was worried about me mates wig.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links