Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

The only gripe I have with the SE is the Sound System - the standard system is very 'tinny'. Any idea if you can upgrade? Or if I put in my own, would it invalidate the warranty>

Cheers

:) Hi Guys, i thought the sound system was very good on the SE, i have been messing around burning tracks on blank cd's and i have to say the quality of sound is excellent, so much so that a friend of mine who drives a Merc M Class could not believe how good the sound system sounded, can only think that the SEL must sound pretty awsome at high volume.

I have to agree with Bartierx300 the sound system in the RX300 SE is very good especially when you turn up the volume.

I also burn my cd`s for playing in the car but was advised by Lexus not to put more than 1 at a time into the cd auto changer as the cd`s are thicker than the originals & could get stuck in the unit.

Alex

Nahhh..it is crap ! Sorry to put it so bluntly, I previously had a BMW 3 series with harman and Kardon upgrade which was brilliant, the RX one is just not close to the quality that it should be for a £35k car.

Why keep the good stereo for the SE-L only... if it was an option on it's own I'd have paid for it.

I might try replacing the door speakers and see if that improves things, getting into ones in corners of dash looks tricky and might end up with squeaks which would drive me nuts.

Nahhh..it is crap ! Sorry to put it so bluntly, I previously had a BMW 3 series with harman and Kardon upgrade which was brilliant, the RX one is just not close to the quality that it should be for a £35k car.

Why keep the good stereo for the SE-L only... if it was an option on it's own I'd have paid for it.

I might try replacing the door speakers and see if that improves things, getting into ones in corners of dash looks tricky and might end up with squeaks which would drive me nuts.

I'm with fergy on this one - SE standard sound system is max 4/10 :yack:

I have to agree with Bartierx300 the sound system in the RX300 SE is very good especially when you turn up the volume.

I also burn my cd`s for playing in the car but was advised by Lexus not to put more than 1 at a time into the cd auto changer as the cd`s are thicker than the originals & could get stuck in the unit.

Alex

:lol: Hi Alex, don't know how that works as each cd holder is seperate, also if they were thicker it would affect any cd player, i think the Lexus guy has got that wrong. Unless someone out there knows different! off topic i know but interesting. Still think the system sounds well good, much better than most cars i've heard.

:tomato: Hi Fergy, this upgrade you had, how many speakers did you have! did it cost much to upgrade. Also i may be wrong but i think the SEL has the same sound system as the SE but extra speakers, 11 against 8 i believe. Music plays a big part of my life and if i thought the system was rubbish i would certainly have don e somthing about it, only my opinion i know but i think it sounds excellent.

The full specification of the Mark Levinson Audio System is available in a separate brochure available from your dealer. :) Without a doubt it is the best car audio system I have ever had and in no way compares to the standard system. :)

:tomato: Hi Fergy, this upgrade you had, how many speakers did you have! did it cost much to upgrade. Also i may be wrong but i think the SEL has the same sound system as the SE but extra speakers, 11 against 8 i believe. Music plays a big part of my life and if i thought the system was rubbish i would certainly have don e somthing about it, only my opinion i know but i think it sounds excellent.

Not had it done, yet... on list of "to do's"...but moved into a new house last year so spending all my £££ on that just now...

Alex

:lol: Hi Alex, don't know how that works as each cd holder is seperate, also if they were thicker it would affect any cd player, i think the Lexus guy has got that wrong. Unless someone out there knows different! off topic i know but interesting. Still think the system sounds well good, much better than most cars i've heard.

Hi Bartierx

When I went to pick up my car I took some burnt cd`s with me to put into the unit. The lexus guy told me that I could possibly use 1 disc at a time in the player but if it did jam & the burnt cd`s were found in the unit that it would be costly for me to have Lexus repair & remove the offending cd`s as they were not the originals???

I don`t think its worth the risk. What would you do?

Regards Alex

Alex

Hi Bartierx

When I went to pick up my car I took some burnt cd`s with me to put into the unit. The lexus guy told me that I could possibly use 1 disc at a time in the player but if it did jam & the burnt cd`s were found in the unit that it would be costly for me to have Lexus repair & remove the offending cd`s as they were not the originals???

Regards Alex

Hi Alex, take your point but why should they be a different size, in my C.D. holder i have two burnt C.D's and four recorded, no problems as yet but your right it is a worry. Perhaps someone can confirm one way or the other, don't think i will risk six now. regards Baz.

Hi,

I've used a lot of burnt CDs in my IS200, and some in the new 400 and have never had a problem. If it's a good quality player (which I think it is - and the sound is excellent to my ears in the basic SE system) and you use fairly high quality discs (ie TDK or Sony) then there shouldn't be any problem.

Gustavo

Alex

Hi Bartierx

Regards Alex

Hi Alex, take your point but why should they be a different size, in my C.D. holder i have two burnt C.D's and four recorded, no problems as yet but your right it is a worry. Perhaps someone can confirm one way or the other, don't think i will risk six now. regards Baz.

I`m back into work next Tuesday (2nd August) & will measure the thickness of some original cd`s & some burnt (TDK`s) using a digital vernier & will let you all know the result. Meanwhile some one out there might have the answer to this question

"Is it safe to use burnt cd`s in a auto changer for the RX300 or any other changer"

Alex

I'm using some burned CD's and so far no issue...

I was also warned by the Lexus sales man that they can jam and that I should only use originals...

Planning on getting an i-pod (asking santa for one for my xmas) and then I'll not use the changer at all..

• 2 weeks later...
I`m back into work next Tuesday (2nd August) & will measure the thickness of some original cd`s & some burnt (TDK`s) using a digital vernier & will let you all know the result. Meanwhile some one out there might have the answer to this question

"Is it safe to use burnt cd`s in a auto changer for the RX300 or any other changer"

Alex

Hi Alex, did you get round to measuring the thickness of blank cd's. Baz

Hi Baz my appoligies for not getting back to this thread (Holiday season & all)

I was surprised by the thickness difference in cd`s in that there is`nt any.

The TDK & original cd`s both measure 1.00mm thick. I also tried stacking 6 cd`s on top of each other in 2 piles TDK in 1 pile & the originals in another, again there was no big difference in the pile height.

However I have been warned by the Lexus dealer that it would be a costly repair if the backup cd`s were found to be causing any jam up in the cd unit, only originals would be covered by the warranty!

Regards Alex

Hello Guys

The only time a CDr might cause any damage to your player is if you stick those silly sticky lables on, as these can get caught on the mechanism.

I think Lexus would have a very hard time proving that a CDr had caused damage to a player just on the say-so of a mechanic.

Cheers.

Stuart

Hello Guys

The only time a CDr might cause any damage to your player is if you stick those silly sticky lables on, as these can get caught on the mechanism.

I think Lexus would have a very hard time proving that a CDr had caused damage to a player just on the say-so of a mechanic.

Cheers.

Stuart

Hi Stu, heard exactly that today, beware of sticky labels. regards BAZ

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links