Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Specs Average Speed Monitoring On M1

Rillo

Agree with what your saying about revenue.

Speed does kill.............hit a child at 40 and they die!!!

hit a child at 30 and they live..........simple!!!

I've learnt my "speeding" lesson from pre camera days,the only people that moan about cameras are the habitual speeders.

I agree but what do we do to save children's lives?? Nothing because most cameras are not in built up areas but on main roads and now Motorways. So habitual speeders can drive at speeds which are certain to kill anyone who gets in their way with little fear of being caught but we have a 40 mph speed limit on the M1 to protect the 3 workmen on their tea break!

Like I said if they had set out to save lives instead of placing cameras to make money then less people would be killed and injured but this isn't happening.

:)

Like I said if they had set out to save lives instead of placing cameras to make money then less people would be killed and injured but this isn't happening. 

:)

Couldn't agree more.

I drive past 3 schools on my daily commute to work. Not one camera or mobile. Drive around Nottingham - cameras everywhere. Even on the A46 dual carriage way they have mobiles - what for? I'll only end up killing myself - no one else!

They're there to make a quick buck - simple.

Here's an interesting point...

the 85th percentile rule is accepted by road traffic experts world wide as valid.

It states, that the 85th percentile of traffic speed down a road is the safe speed for that road - if it's dangerous people will slow down - if it's not people will go faster irrespective of a posted limit.

The speed (sorry saftey) camera guidlines for locating the camera state that a camera can only be located where the 85th percentile exceeds the speedlimit (apart from roadworks - I totally agree in roadworks camera should be present tea break or not).

i.e. only put a camera where the majority of road users think it's safe to brake the speed limit.

So speed cameras are therefore not put where the 85th percentile (normal drivers) think that it's dangerous and the dangerous 15th percentile are actually causing a larger hazard than they would otherwise, but rather where normal safe traffic flow encourages a driver to break the speed limit...

Simon.

the 85th percentile rule is accepted by road traffic experts world wide as valid.

It states, that the 85th percentile of traffic speed down a road is the safe speed for that road - if it's dangerous people will slow down - if it's not people will go faster irrespective of a posted limit.

The speed (sorry saftey) camera guidlines for locating the camera state that a camera can only be located where the 85th percentile exceeds the speedlimit (apart from roadworks - I totally agree in roadworks camera should be present tea break or not).

i.e. only put a camera where the majority of road users think it's safe to brake the speed limit.

So speed cameras are therefore not put where the 85th percentile (normal drivers) think that it's dangerous and the dangerous 15th percentile are actually causing a larger hazard than they would otherwise, but rather where normal safe traffic flow encourages a driver to break the speed limit...

Simon.

which suggests there should be national review of speed limits, many of which were set in the 1960s....

I never get a threat warning on my radar detector when I pass one of these things - anyone know what band they operate on? It doesn't say anything in the presentation

They don't, they use ANR (Automatic Number plate Recognition). Every plate is "grabbed" and stored, the numbers are compared between cameras and the time taken between them to calculate the average speed. Speeders get a ticket and non speeders numbers are discarded.

i`ll also add to this nonsense that there has been a major reduction in jam sandwiches on the roads because of this shift to pasive policing..........

now on the m18 on saturday the wife pointed out a family of 5 in a fiesta, with a baby in its mothers arms in the back seat :crying: , and then i spotted a merc a class which had so much stuff in it that it was piled up on the passenger side dash board, thus the driver could only see out of 1 half of the windscreen :crying:

Would these bad drivers be caught on camera?

Where are the police on the roads? Witness what happens when police drive on the motorway, it becomes a rolling road block!! No speeding then!

And how long is it b4 you are scanned leaving your home to arriving at work and vice versa?

IF THE LAW IS NO CAR OVER 70MPH, WHY IS EVERY CAR ON THE ROAD CAPABLE OF BREAKING THE LAW????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

WHAT POSSIBLE EXCUSE IS THERE FOR MANUFACTURERS TO BE ALLOWED TO DISTRIBUTE LETHAL WEAPONS THAT CAN BREAK THE LAW?

None of us would be having this discussion if we did not own vehicles that could contravene the law of the land.

And may i add guns killed far less people a year and they`re banned, but being able to buy a 1+ton of machinery that can kill many is controlled by the disgusting use of scameras.

I love my lexus, but if it couldn`t break the law, just like everybody elses, then i wouldn`t be bothered. I wouldn`t be concerned about watching the speedo all the time, because i would know that there is no possible way the engine could go over 70, therefore i would be watching the road all the time!!!!!

Simon.

Not quite true, the 85th is a statistical measure of the speed distribution for a given streatch of road and is usualy where the majority will sit in the speed stakes. It has no influence on the safety of the road other than if that stratch of road is linked to a higher occurance of accidents, then it is given as the cause. You can not say that it is a measure of the safety of the road. It is used as a more reliable "average" of the road speed that can be demostrated statisically.

It's kind of like saying if you get 70 out of 100 drivers over a set speed then the Nth percentile for that road is the set speed in question. You could have an 85th at say 29 and they may still put a camera on a 30 if there is a 'bad' junction near by that has caused 3 deaths in teh last 5 years for example.

Has anyone actually been caught by one of these cameras? What is the likely punishment and how long til you find out?

Standard penalty and fine ......... obviously speed dependent.

£60 fine + 3 points

I just read the thread and In my opinion :whistling: the cameras are there most of the time just to make money, I don't speed..... much but as a few have said they don't have speed cameras by schools, but they rather hide them in bushes on small roads.

Just another money making idea to charge the normal motorist... :angry:

I just read the thread and In my opinion  :whistling: the cameras are there most of the time just to make money, I don't speed..... much but as a few have said they don't have speed cameras by schools, but they rather hide them in bushes on small roads.

Just another money making idea to charge the normal motorist... :angry:

I will hold my hands up and say i am a habitual speeder however i do drive to the conditions of the road so i only tend to speed on a clear road. I am not one of these lunatics that overtakes on blind bends and over the brows of hills and to be honest i wince every time i see someone do it. IMO the majority of the time the speed you are going does not dictate how well you can respond, yes braking distances are greater but if you are flying along you should be aware of this. I find i am alot more aware when i go 50mph + than i am at lower speeds on open roads. Saying that though to contradict myself if i go past a school or kids walking home from school i tend to drop my speed right off and end up with a cue of traffic behind me

I have to agree that cameras are revenue generators and a reduction in them or at least the correct siting of them would be of great benefit. On the topic of speed restricted cars no way if you have the ability to go faster than those around you then you have the ability to get yourself out of trouble how many times have people here had to break the law and accelerate to stop some numpty sideswiping you on the motorway.

Unfortunately these things are not going to go away and eventually they will be everywhere but thats the disadvantages of the nanny state

On another note did anyone see the guy in Lincs challenge the siting of a camera and win on the grounds of no street lighting ? i have seen a few cameras like that around and it would be satisfying if i could lobby to get them ripped up

These so called (Laf Laf) safety partnerships are a joke. They should be called Gordon’s bully boys.

If these people were concerned with safety why don’t they do something about the crazy mama’s outside schools; I’m sure we have all been scared by the late mama rushing to drop off or pick up her little ones.

Who has followed some person stuck in the outside lane doing 60 with a huge line of cars trying to get past?

What about the COCKS (Centre Lane Owners Club) that through their action block the miles of inside lanes.

Why do we have three lanes of trucks going round the M25 blocking free passage of the white vans

Why do we have a speed camera sited on a single carriageway at the only point it is safe to overtake?

Why do we have speed new cameras on duel carriageways (no ingress or access), where the limit has been dropped to 30 but no signs saying so!

Why does every one driving a Nissan Micro go past cameras at 25 MPH

In Holland they blow them up, in fact they now have cameras watching the camera.

Look if these things were about safety they’d be sited where there are accidents or the like, since they are clearly tax collection points they will only get the negatives they deserve. Personally I think the people that work for these safety partnerships should find a proper job and not sponge of the motorists.

Don’t know about you guys but my speedo is at least 5 MPH fast so don’t clock watch…

Bottom line if the cameras had been used properly to reduce speed, and we’d kept the traffic police on the roads I would support them but they are tax collection points nothing else…

http://www.speedcam.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/index2.htm

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links