Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Exhaust Has Melted My Valance

Oh knickers - bought an IS300 exhaust, that according to the manufacturers would fit my Sportcross just fine.

Sounds amazing, no motorway drone, and comes with a removal baffle if it get's too loud for the wife :D

Had it fitted yesterday, drove home and noticed this...

lexusexhaust1.jpg

lexusexhaust2.jpg

...emailled the photos to the manufacturer, who said they had never had that problem before and suggested I had the exhaust hangers adjusted, so went back the exhaust centre today, where they did there best, but it's just not long enough. I estimate it's about an inch too short to get past my Sportcross rear valance. They jacked it back up on the lift again, thinking they'd be able to maybe cut the exhaust and insert a steel section to push the end out to the correct place, but the rear suspension arm gets in the way.

Don't want one of those max powery exhaust shields, and am struggling to find a clamp on stainless trim that will fit on the rather excessive diameter of 115mm

Really don't want to melt anymore of my car, and love the sound of the exhaust so don't want to return it either.

Any ideas fellas? Does anyone know a company that could manufacture me a bolt on trim in the next few days?

You're right it is far too short.

Ask them to take the tailpipe from where it goes into the back box and weld in a s/s sleave extension to lengthen the tailpipe. That won't affect anything on the car and will cure the problem.

Is that the Kazama? Just guessing from what I can see....

Maybe the Sportcross requires the US spec exhaust, the HKS one's you pick up over there are longer to compensate for the longer bumper, looking at your pics I'm guessing the UK Sportcross is the same as those?

That's a bit of a pain then, I've never seen any Sportcross specific exhausts - do you know of any Mat?

Actually scratch that, according to one US site I've just checked the exhausts over there are compatible with their IS300 and their Sportcross - off to see if I can find anything on is300.net :)

Sheez, so the Sportcross is one inch bigger than the US spec 300 - no wonder the Jap spec one doesn't fit!

Here's a couple of pics from IS300.net of Sportcrosses with aftermarket (USA spec) exhausts...

The L-Tuned exhaust

RearRight.jpg

The Greddy Evo

booty.jpg

Just searching for some HKS pics....

Thanks for those pics Aido! That looks much more like it.

I'm not after an online slanging match as there seem to have been too may of those of late, just a solution.

(Don't really see how it is the fitter's fault as they fitted the exhaust I supplied, and then adjusted it for free.)

Hopefully the supplier of the exhaust will come up with a suggestion after seeing this thread, as PMing them hasn't worked yet. :(

All I want now is a bolt on 115m diameter stainless tip extension that will extend the exhaust to the correct length for my car, and won't stop me fitting the baffle later.

Heeeeeeeeeelp!

Thanks for those pics Aido! That looks much more like it.

I'm not after an online slanging match as there seem to have been too may of those of late, just a solution.

(Don't really see how it is the fitter's fault as they fitted the exhaust I supplied, and then adjusted it for free.)

Hopefully the supplier of the exhaust will come up with a suggestion after seeing this thread, as PMing them hasn't worked yet. :(

All I want now is a bolt on 115m diameter stainless tip extension that will extend the exhaust to the correct length for my car, and won't stop me fitting the baffle later.

Heeeeeeeeeelp!

Not sure what to suggest (apart from I have replied to the PM/Email)

The Kazama is designed for the US car but the SportCross is a tad longer than that.

I've been trying to find a suitable extension but have failed miserably to date.

I can offer a full refund

or

You leave the car with me for 2 days and I will get it to fit. There will be a charge for this as my technician (s/emp) has to eat but it will be at cost.

The Kazama is designed for the US car but the SportCross is a tad longer than that.

I've been trying to find a suitable extension but have failed miserably to date.

or

You leave the car with me for 2 days and I will get it to fit. There will be a charge for this as my technician (s/emp) has to eat but it will be at cost.

I meant you hadn't provided a solution by PM, not that you hadn't replied to me!

Just wish you'd told me it wouldn't fit my Sportcross, if you already knew - would have saved a lot of extra expense and hassle :(

Didn't name you as I thought it fair to give you another chance to reply, and you have - cheers :)

I've just managed to find a possible suitable extension tip here...

Bomber Tailpipe

...which is a bolt on and cheaper than that Milltek one, but cheers Steve.

Will let you know how I get on with it, and if I have no luck will be in touch Mr Prolex.

or

I meant you hadn't provided a solution by PM, not that you hadn't replied to me!

Just wish you'd told me it wouldn't fit my Sportcross, if you already knew - would have saved a lot of extra expense and hassle :(

Didn't name you as I thought it fair to give you another chance to reply, and you have - cheers :)

I've just managed to find a possible suitable extension tip here...

Bomber Tailpipe

...which is a bolt on and cheaper than that Milltek one, but cheers Steve.

Will let you know how I get on with it, and if I have no luck will be in touch Mr Prolex.

Hope it all goes OK......but you bought from eBay and it doesnt say that it fits the sportcross.....

Offer of a refund still stands/or custom fitment :D

Really hope it works out for you BTW

• 2 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links