Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Snow Tyres And Roof Rack Question

Hi,

I am looking to drive to a snowy area later this year and wanted some advice on any preparations needed. Does anyone know if the tyres that are fitted by default on the RX300 MK2 (2005 model) can handle driving in the snow? I would like to avoid having to put special tyres as my trip will be short and I do not want the hassle of putting new tyres then having to replace them unless there is a big advantage.

I am also looking to get a roof rack for extra storage. Has anyone fitted something like this? Are they removable when not needed? Do they require any drilling to the roof or do they simply "clip" on/off?

Thanks,

Sami

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure about the tyres...could invest in snow chains ? Might be a cheaper solution...though never seen them for 18" wheels.

Pretty sure the standard tyre are aimed at road use, not specifically snow.

For a roof box you'll need the bars that straddle the car..roof box attaches to that.

the tyres that are fitted as standard to the RX are NOT SUITABLE FOR DRIVING ON SNOW!! you have to remember that it is no good just putting chains on the rear, u will have to put them on the front also, although i wouldnt recommend putting just chains on normal tyres.

Winter tyres have a massive advantage over normal tyres!

where are you going and when???

I'm driving to the Alps. Most of my journey will be on highways but will have to drive through snow to reach my destinations.

If I put snow tyres, will I be able to keep them on for all year use? Or do I have to keep on swapping between the original and snow tyres? Is there any major disadvantage if I keep snow tyres on all year? (I just want to avoid the hassle of going to garages etc...)

Thanks,

Sami

ok assuming that you will be going into the winter - some info about "summer" tyres below 7C they start to go hard and loose grip, braking efficiency etc so at -15c not much good.

"winter tyres" are made of a soft compound that isnt affected by the cold and also have a special tread pattern that is made up of 100`s of interlocking strips that provide grip and also remove the snow/ice from the grooves as the tyre rotates.

it is not advisable to keep the winter tyres on all year, in a normal winter season on winter tyres the wear will be about 2MM. In summer this will be far more.

In summer conditions a summer tyre will perform far better ( braking etc) than a winter tyre opposite for winter time also.

you say the alps - swiss or french give me your holiday location and i might know it and then be able to give u a bit more info on the road.

Right size snow chains are hard to find, but are way cheaper and easier then changing to different tyres.

remember ONLY ON THE FRONT WHEELS!

The RX is a front wheel driven car, it is only 4x4 when really needed, and there is absolutely no point in putting chains on the rear wheels.

you say the alps - swiss or french  give me your holiday location and i might know it and then be able to give u a bit more info on the road.

I will be driving from UK to Chamonix. So I guess that about 700 miles will be on normal roads/highways and about 20-30 miles on roads that might have snow.

Where do you recommend I change my tyres? And where do people typically store their other set of tyres? (At the dealer?)

Thanks,

Sami

Right size snow chains are hard to find, but are way cheaper and easier then changing to different tyres.

remember ONLY ON THE FRONT WHEELS!

The RX is a front wheel driven car, it is only 4x4 when really needed, and there is absolutely no point in putting chains on the rear wheels.

if u have summer tyres on the rear then expect the rear end to swing out and loose grip a lot

you say the alps - swiss or french  give me your holiday location and i might know it and then be able to give u a bit more info on the road.

I will be driving from UK to Chamonix. So I guess that about 700 miles will be on normal roads/highways and about 20-30 miles on roads that might have snow.

Where do you recommend I change my tyres? And where do people typically store their other set of tyres? (At the dealer?)

Thanks,

Sami

if u had winter tyres I would get them on before leaving the UK as that will make it a lot easier than arranging somewhere to get them put on.

i know the route to chamonix quite well but only via the swiss side, i wouldnt go over that pass unless I had winter tyres and chains in the boot - on the swiss side the road will be cleared quite often but the french side is a different story!

if you are going through switzerland be aware that if you are involved in an accident( even if is not your fault) and there is snow/ice and u dont have winter tyres u will be responsible regardless of the circumstances. people put them on in nov and take them off in march/april

people stores there tyres at either the tyre dealer during the summer time for a small fee or they have them at home. i keep mine at home.

i have seen plenty of adverts before on the internet for winter tyre hire, but that was for the more standard sizes.

if u had winter tyres I would get them on before leaving the UK as that will make it a lot easier than arranging somewhere to get them put on.

i know the route to chamonix quite well but only via the swiss side,  i wouldnt go over that pass unless I had winter tyres and chains in the boot - on the swiss side the road will be cleared quite often but the french side is a different story!

Thanks for the tips, very useful to know! BTW I noticed you carry both chains + winter tyres. If I put on winter tyres, is it also necessary to have chains in the boot?

I called Lexus GB today to ask for some advice, they did not know too much on the subject. I was then referred to my local branch then to my local service center and I got a large number of mixed messages:

1. One person told me that putting chains will make my car "unstable" as the Lexus is very advanced and has sensors in the tyres which will malfunction with chains.

2. One person told me that the standard Lexus tyres that are fitted by default are "M&S" which stands for Mud and Snow. Apparently these are supposed to handle perfectly well in occasional snow conditions and that I have nothing to worry about.

3. One person told me that the only thing I need is snow chains and that I should not even consider snow tyres for a short trip like mine (10 days). I was recommended a make of chains called "Rivenfield Rex TR" for 169 GBP total cost.

4. None could tell me where/how to fit snow tyres in the UK. All said that this is very non-standard and that they do not do it!

I am confused :-|

have a look on the sidewall of your tires - do they have M+S on the side???

if they do then you are sorted. if not, be prepared to have probs and a few slides, the least that u could do if u dont want to get tyres is get the chains, they will provide u with some grip and reduce the chances of slides.

practice putting them on a few times before u actually need them!

if u have summer tyres on the rear then expect the rear end to swing out and loose grip a lot

You're not swinging out more then any other front wheel driven car.

I have driven in bad snow and icy conditions and with the right chains, you're fine.

The ones I got are from Koenig.

have a look on the sidewall of your tires - do  they have M+S on the side???

if they do then you are sorted. if not, be prepared to have probs and a few slides,  the least that u could do if u dont want to get tyres is get the chains, they will provide u with  some grip and reduce the chances of slides.

practice putting them on a few times before u actually need them!

Here is a pick of one of my tyres, it doesn't seem to have M+S :angry:

tyre.jpg

Are M+S tyres available from Lexus? If I have them put on, will I be able to use them all year round? Are there any major disadvantages?

Or do you think that I should just stick with my existing ones and get some chains?

Many Thanks,

Sami

think i spelt vredestein wrong

Hi Merlin,

Thanks for the tip. I had a look at the vredestein website http://www.vredestein.com and their tyres look very impressive.

There is a link on their front page to the "XTREME DESIGN 4 SUV". This looks like a perfect all year tyre. I'll give you a call during the week to discuss. (Can you give some indication of tyre cost and fitting costs?)

Thanks,

Sami

b/stone potenza are not good in bad wether if you want to phone me im on 01442 409426 at home or 01442 251600 at work im in the tyre buss.

I am quite surprised that Lexus's standard SUV tyres are not suitable for snow. They're probably trying to save some costs.

If they were good in snow...they'd generally be bad in hot weather... two completely different environments ! It snowed about a couple of days last year so the ones that are fitted are fine for 99% of the time. They are a compromise to try and do all year round, probably not ideal in any but good in most conditions.

If you need to use them in extended snowy conditions then I think you'll have to go down the 2 sets of tyres route...

I would have been really surprised if Lexus had supplied snow tyres as standard.

Hi. I am new to this forum and am just about to buy an rx 300.But thought I might be able to help as I live in Chamonix and was looking for info on tyre choice!.First of all.. there is no substitute for 2 sets of wheels.. 16'' for the winter with dedicated winter tryes and your 18 '' for the summer ,.This will be my choice,but then again I live here so I'll swap them over twice a year and be done with it.

If you are coming here on holiday you have a tricky decision.18'' summer tyres are the equivilent of having 4 snowboards under you ! If they are all season tyres you might be ok but 18'' is still the problem.

I would get chains for the front only and hope you dont have to put them on ! I had an impreza WRX sti (world rally champions etc etc) with 17'' and it went straight of the road until I put some winter tyres on it and then it was awesome.

The uk seems to have a blind spot about winter tyres ..hence the annual chaos..and dealers and trye fitters haven't the stock. 4 18'' winter tyres will cost a packet and you'll never use them and wont be able to sell them either.Just be practical and stick to chains ,but hope you dont have to ut them on (frozen fingers) .They clear the roads dead quick anyway.

ps I am looking to buy rx300 se under 15k..anyone? And what 17'' summer tyres do you all have ?

Happy skiing.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links