Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Rear Fog Light Install

IanF

I went to fit a rear fog light switch into my Altezza today - I'd bought the IS200 switch from Lexus, and was planning to tap into the existing lighting circuit and run a wire to the boot.

When I got the lower dash panel off, all the wiring loom and plug was already there - I just connected the new switch, and everything works perfectly. The 2 centre lights in the boot already have double filament bulbs for brake & fog lights.

Nice when a job turns out to be simpler that I thought - usually it's the other way round!

nice find.... do all altezza's do that? My one the garage fitted an igly foggy that attached to the bottom of the rear valance on a bracket that extened up!!

I said THAT is not going to stay like that - they rewired so they said.......

yeah normally the other way round 5min job = 2 hours!! lol

The easy ride ended today when I tried to find the phone mute wire for the stereo.

There's loads of advice on here - most of it third hand from folks who know somebody who once met a bloke in a pub that swore blind it's the purple and pink wire third from the left of the 2nd plug from the top.

At the end of the day I've drawn a blank - the connectors and wire colours on my head unit and amp bear no resemblance to anything previously written. The circuit board on the amp has 2 pins labelled mute and t-mute, but one seems to actually be a speaker connector, and the other doesn't connect to anything at all - no corresponding wire in the loom. I've tried manually grounding this, and nothing happens.

I'm going to have to resort to the dirty bodge method of using a relay to cut power to the stereo when a call comes in.

Ian

Look @ the conectors on the plug at the back of the head unit.

The one that lets of about 0.5V is going to be your mute output .............  ;)

There's nothing with 0.5V - but one pin on the unused socket is at normally at 4.8V, and mutes the radio when grounded. Everything else is either 12V, 10V or 0.05V, which I guess is the average voltage on the signal outputs

Well have you tried connecting ur mute cable to that output ?

Although it may mute the radio when grounded, doesn't always mean that it's the mute cable !

What car kit are you using ?

Although it may mute the radio when grounded, doesn't always mean that it's the mute cable !

Yeah - I figued that :P - Lots of scope for smoke & flames & brown trousers!

The reason I grounded that particular pin was I'm sure I read on here that the mute pin runs at between 4 & 5V in normal use - I'll see if I can track down where that came from.

edit : Here

It will eventually be a Nokia Bluetooth CK-1W - at the moment I'm just trying to locate all the points to tap into the wiring.

There's no rush - still waiting for the model report, so got plenty of time to play!

Ian

I went to fit a rear fog light switch into my Altezza today - I'd bought the IS200 switch from Lexus, and was planning to tap into the existing lighting circuit and run a wire to the boot. 

When I got the lower dash panel off, all the wiring loom and plug was already there - I just connected the new switch, and everything works perfectly.  The 2 centre lights in the boot already have double filament bulbs for brake & fog lights.

Nice when a job turns out to be simpler that I thought - usually it's the other way round!

Don't suppose you took a pic or could explain exactly which loom it was under there?

• 2 weeks later...

I spoke too soon - did a bit more tinkering this afternoon, and although the loom is there, the +12V output line isn't actually connected to anything else.

The dual filament bulbs are for dual sidelight / brake light operation of the centre 2 lamps.

Still, all I need to do is splice into the switch output, run a cable to the boot and connect to the existing bulbs - not as easy as I thought, but still worth knowing.

Ian

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links