Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi all,

can anyone help please? Took my car into workshop to have bumper resprayed. Got phone call to say car is ready but it now has a problem its a 98 GS300.This workshop only does bodywork and I know the guy and he isnt dodgy. The problem is the car starts but dies after 6seconds. Thought it may be the Battery so changed it problem is still there. Was then told maybe the key needs reinitiating was told to leave key in ignition for 6 minutes then fire her up. That didnt work, wouldnt even turn over, but if u remove the key then turn it again car starts first time but dies after 6 seconds.

I've not had any probs before and everyone seems to be stumped.

Pleas help before this car has to go to lexus where im sure they would love to empty my wallet.

Thanx

The key is fine otherwise it would never have started at all.

If it starts can you rev the engine and keep it running? If so try and keep it running of a couple of minutes at 1500rpm and then let it idle. Sounds like the Battery was disconnected and the idle settings have been lost.

thanks for the quick responses, theres plenty of petrol in her.

when she turns over she starts but shuts down exactly 6 seconds later.If I leave the key in the ignition for a minute she doesnt recognise it and wont start but when i take the key out and put it back in she starts straight away ut still shuts down 6 seconds later.

HELP

checked the idling and its fine, if i acceleratate when she starts that seems to have no effect, checked that shes not choked up. Think the probs with the immobilisor simply because when i leave the key in the ignition for a couple of minutes she wont start at all but as soon as i remove the key then put it back in she fires up straight away but only for 6 seconds.

have you tried another key?

checked with another key, same response.

????????????????????????

pullin my hair out here!!!!!!!!

Just phoned lexus, usual response, bring her in. Might have to do that but have this sneaky feelin that im gonna hear "tut tut hmmmmm big problem and massive bill"

Any more ideas anyone. Thanks

Hi and Welcome to the club :)

Let us know if you find a fix to your starting problem,got the same sort of fault with my car,starts every time but cuts out after so many seconds...my cars a mk1.

Ive found i only have the starting problem when starting the car from warm.

It does seem strange how your car has developed the problem since being in the bodyshop.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links