Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

What Works, And Why, Of Fuel Economy

If you have sensible tips that save fuel, let me hear them please? :angry: My company only pays me 12p a mile to use my car for work but I want a comfortable ride and my hobbies mean that I venture gently off road.

My 3 year old RX300 needs to be trained to sip not swig.

I have tried a few ideas - Super unleaded (Optimax) does give me better mileage (22-25 on 95 RON unleaded changes to 25-28 on 97/98). This is because our engine management systems will detect that the engine is not pinking, advances the timing and we get slightly better power at the same revs. I now use Sainsbury's 97 octane (it is BP Ultima someone from BP told me!) 87.9p locally.

My trek to work is 32 mixed miles each way, I get good cruising economy because the cruise control uses less fuel than I do at the same speed (yes I have tried)

My efforts have also included tyre pressures, I have 16" wheels and they need to be 33psi as the book says, 30psi costs me money!

What else works?

I average about 20mpg, best is about 26-27 of a run behaving myself... to be honest I doubt anything short of a LPG conversion is going to change it much.

I tried driving smoothly etc... but end up forgetting and back to usual driving style.

I'm fortunate in that I don't do many mile a year ( <8k) so can put up with the mpg, but it still a pain, but nothing I did not know about before I bought it.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links