Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Dolphin Beach Resort Hotel In Florida

Lex-aholic

In August this year 7 of us are jetting off to Florida (again - we're addicts !). We booked a hotel called Dolphin Beach Resort in Saint Pete's, Florida.

My Sister went on the website last night as she wanted to have a look at the hotel again. She went into Ask Jeeves and typed in reviews on Dolphin Beach Resort hotel in Florida.

Basically it come up with a load of people's different comments and points of view about the hotel, which went from musty smelling bed sheets to fleas and cockroaches (and a load of other bad points).

So my Sister got on the phone and rang the Travel Agents about it. When we were looking in the brochures we were tempted by a neighbouring hotel called the Sirata. So my Sister suggested to the travel agents about moving us to there.

The travel agents said it wouldn't be a problem, but it would cost us £50 per head for the move ? Is this right ? I can understand that because it is US who want to move, then it is for us to pay for the hassle. But what with all the crabby comments on the internet I thought this would have been taken into consideration, and we would just be moved.

It's also costing us an extra £5 per night - but that is because it's a bigger hotel with more amenities (so this is quite understandable).

What's your opinions - all are welcome. :winky:

you'll find the 50 quid is a 'paperwork' fee...

I always reccomend doing the research BEFORE booking anything for this exact reason...

i'd also advise trying places other than Florida by the way ;)

Thought so. How much paperwork do I get for £50 ??? :D

To be honest I thought we HAD done the research - all we were interested in at the time was whether the hotel is still standing (we booked it just after the Hurricane - Rita, I think).

See....what would have happened had we not bothered doing the research and then got over there to find it an absolute tip ? Cuz surely they shouldn't be advertising this place. :blink:

And what do you mean....there are other places than Florida out there ? :blink: Nobody told ME this !! :lol:

Thanks for the reply BTW

yeah, i understand your frustration - by the way, id take reviews with a pinch of salt - you need to remember people all have their different benchmarks...

and me, if you go to the states, id reccomend california and hawaii ;)

yeah, i understand your frustration - by the way, id take reviews with a pinch of salt - you need to remember people all have their different benchmarks...

Mmmmmmm......California. That does sound good. We did have a look at Cali, but opted out cuz of the price difference between there and Florry - my Sister is married with two kids so she has to watch her pennies alot more than I have to.

That is somewhere I must go to though before I peg it (not meaning to sound morbid). Which part of California did you go to ?

Not sure on Hawaii. I don't think it'll be my cup of tea - my impressions of Hawaii are loads of sand and surf. Knowing me though, I'm probably just being naive. :D

Mmmmmmm......California. That does sound good. We did have a look at Cali, but opted out cuz of the price difference between there and Florry - my Sister is married with two kids so she has to watch her pennies alot more than I have to.

That is somewhere I must go to though before I peg it (not meaning to sound morbid). Which part of California did you go to ?

Not sure on Hawaii. I don't think it'll be my cup of tea - my impressions of Hawaii are loads of sand and surf. Knowing me though, I'm probably just being naive. :D

California ive been to Berkley, San Francisco, San Jose, Santa Cruz, LA, San Diego and Carlsbad.. I think its great, and i intended on 'doing' highway 1 at some point in the near future - the coastal road from San Francisco all the way to LA - its supposed to be superb..

As for Hawaii - you'd be surprised - I went to Maui Dec 04, and yes, there are a lot of beaches (if you want to surf, you need to go to Ouha - Wikkei beach) but the first day we were there, we watched the sunrise from the top of a 10,000 ft Volcano, the second day we drove around some of the most stunning scenery ive ever seen, and then hiked through a rain forest, and stood overlooking the waterfall from Jurrasic park helecopter scene... we also snorkeled with a vast array of tropical fish and giant sea turtles, and went into a beautiful valley... and this was all on one small island - which also has the resorts, if thats your thing, great restaraunts.

Of course, if you go to florida for disneyworld and getting drunk, then perhaps Hawaii wont be for you... but i really want to go back, lots....

California ive been to Berkley, San Francisco, San Jose, Santa Cruz, LA, San Diego and Carlsbad.. I think its great, and i intended on 'doing' highway 1 at some point in the near future - the coastal road from San Francisco all the way to LA - its supposed to be superb..

As for Hawaii - you'd be surprised - I went to Maui Dec 04, and yes, there are a lot of beaches (if you want to surf, you need to go to Ouha - Wikkei beach) but the first day we were there, we watched the sunrise from the top of a 10,000 ft Volcano, the second day we drove around some of the most stunning scenery ive ever seen, and then hiked through a rain forest, and stood overlooking the waterfall from Jurrasic park helecopter scene... we also snorkeled with a vast array of tropical fish and giant sea turtles, and went into a beautiful valley... and this was all on one small island - which also has the resorts, if thats your thing, great restaraunts.

Of course, if you go to florida for disneyworld and getting drunk, then perhaps Hawaii wont be for you... but i really want to go back, lots....

Sounds like you've got the holiday bug now.. :lol:

That Highway 1 sounds fun

What would you say was the best place you've been to out of your liiiiiiist of places ?

been to both california (LA) and florida (miami, and orlando) out of the two i much preferred california

has everything florida has and more

as for the bad reports, look out at who is making them, if americans are they allways moan that they are dirty and too small

i too would take a lot of them with a pinch of salt

you also should expect the travel agents too charge, as they are only agents and you chose the hotel, maybe you should have gone direct to the holiday company and asked there opinion, and also asked what options they would offer if the hotel was as described

next year go california :D

go out of season, its cheaper, and less crowds

as for temperature its hot all year round almost and no hurricanes !

maui...

without a doubt, nowhere comes close...

the only downside is the flights - 10/11 hours to LA, then 5/6 to Hawaii..

You never know - buy that lucky Euro Millions lottery ticket and you could be on the next flight. :winky:

if i won that money, id buy a house there! no hesitation...

but if you fancy California, as Barrie says, go out of season, spring is a nice time... San Francisco is a rgeat city, so vibrant... I didnt rate LA too much tbh - but if you head north to Malibu, its lovely up there (where a lot of the movie stars live) and south to Laguna beach isnt bad.

been to both california (LA) and florida (miami, and orlando) out of the two i much preferred california

has everything florida has and more

as for the bad reports, look out at who is making them, if americans are they allways moan that they are dirty and too small

i too would take a lot of them with a pinch of salt

you also should expect the travel agents too charge, as they are only agents and you chose the hotel, maybe you should have gone direct to the holiday company and asked there opinion, and also asked what options they would offer if the hotel was as described

next year go california :D

go out of season, its cheaper, and less crowds

as for temperature its hot all year round almost and no hurricanes !

True words Bazza - as the saying goes "you learn by your mistakes".

[

If you like spectacular scenery, then you should see the Grand Canyon and some of the National Parks (Zion, Yosemite, etc.). Photos just don't do them justice!

Just hire a car and tour round. We did it in a convertible (!) which is great for all round visibility (important when the cliffs are towering above you). When it gets too hot, you can just put up the roof and turn up the aircon. Small boot though so take soft luggage and not too much!

And even if you don't gamble you really should go to Las Vegas, at least once!

IanB :D

Try Blackpool :D

Or Great Yarmouth... :P

Whats up with Sunny Weymouth :D

Well I'm off on my Hols tomorrow. 3 weeks of sunshine :D

Sorry Peter... Weymouth is our absolute fave (we had our honeymoon there :winky: ).

I didn't mention it as I thought it might have been a tad too expensive - a bit too much out of the price range... :blink::tomato:

Try Blackpool :D

Or Great Yarmouth... :P

Whats up with Sunny Weymouth :D

Well I'm off on my Hols tomorrow. 3 weeks of sunshine :D

Sorry Peter... Weymouth is our absolute fave (we had our honeymoon there :winky: ).

I didn't mention it as I thought it might have been a tad too expensive - a bit too much out of the price range... :blink::tomato:

weymouth !!

honeymoon !!!

wahay that sounds good

my honeymoon was spent in margate :o .......in november :crybaby:

so good that we came home early :lol:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links