Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Amp Cutting Out

Well got most of the install done over the week, but know stuff starts playing up.

The amp thats runnin the 6x9s and the front components, when i turn the volume up it cuts out, but only when the 6x9s are playing, i put all the fader to the front and they work fine????

Any thoughts, ive earthed my amp to one of the boot strap thingys ????

Help

CHeers

sounds like a saftey cut out, home amps have it when it goes in to self protect, instead of damaging itself, there could be a prpb with the wiring between the amp and the 6x9s, or the earth may not br grounded well enough,

sounds like a saftey cut out, home amps have it when it goes in to self protect, instead of damaging itself, there could be a prpb with the wiring between the amp and the 6x9s, or the earth may not br grounded well enough,

Do you know where a good groud is???

i rekon anywhere that is bare metal on the chassis, but other peeps may have better ideas, even if you rub a bit of the paint back connect the earth and spray a bit of laquer on it or nail varnish to seal it back up, just a though and if that dont work take a look at your wiring between the amp and the 6x9s

a quick though you could disconect the earth and run a flying lead to the Battery bond to the chassis and test it if it still dont work it isnt a partial earth prob

the earth should be as close to the amp as possible, and on good metal

Amp is in the boot, is the metal where the rear wheel is painted ??? thats where ive got mine earthed too, i've just remembered that the connections are a bit dodge to the 6x9s, hopefully thats the problem.

i've just remembered that the connections are a bit dodge to the 6x9s, hopefully thats the problem.

You can't do a cowboy job ... and expect miracles !

well ive been getting in from work at 5 and trying to do bit by bit as there no freekin light and blooomin freezin

im pretty chuffed with myself at the mo as ive done everything so far and only blown one headunit fuse :)

How many Channels does the amp have?

What impedance(s) are your speakers?

What is the minimum stable Impedance per channel of the amp?

If your earth is fine on the amp it will low impedance thats causing the cutting out.

If you have front rear speakers paralelled onto a 2 ch amp with a sub aswell..... Then what do you expect :P

Do ground resistance check with a multimeter. Connect 1 probe to earth on the amp, and the other at the end of the ground wire bolted to the chassis (assuming u have bolted it ;) ), set multimeter to read resistance. If the reading is over 0.5ohm or greater, then your earth is no good. If so, make sure u have rubbed down the paint and use a 1" washer with some vaseline and bolt it down! an earth of a seat belt bolt isn't enough. I've seen some shoddy earthing in my time i can tell you :winky:

How many Channels does the amp have?

What impedance(s) are your speakers?

What is the minimum stable Impedance per channel of the amp?

If your earth is fine on the amp it will low impedance thats causing the cutting out.

If you have front rear speakers paralelled onto a 2 ch amp with a sub aswell..... Then what do you expect :P

Do ground resistance check with a multimeter. Connect 1 probe to earth on the amp, and the other at the end of the ground wire bolted to the chassis (assuming u have bolted it ;) ), set multimeter to read resistance. If the reading is over 0.5ohm or greater, then your earth is no good. If so, make sure u have rubbed down the paint and use a 1" washer with some vaseline and bolt it down! an earth of a seat belt bolt isn't enough. I've seen some shoddy earthing in my time i can tell you :winky:

OK dunno what your impendance means ??? but ill tell you what ive got.

600 watt amp running 2 6x9s 275watt 70 watt rms (thats for both) then running (at the moment) 1 front component 350watt dunno the rms350 watt is for both sides again).

then have a seperate amp running my sub, the sub is fine hasnt cut out at all, and is earthed to the same place as the other amp.

but the speaker wire going to the 6x9s is reasonable thin, would this make much difference.

CHeers

Ok just changed speaker wire to nice big fat stuff and same happening, i turn the volume up and the amp running the speakers cuts out, why????????

the sub keeps playing but all the speakers go off???

helpppppppp mr singh :duh:

Let me get this right.

You are running the rear speakers, and front speakers from the same amp?

How many Channels does this 1 amp have?

If it has 2ch, then you are underloading the amp. Its a low impedance issue. You need to either series front to rear or get a 4ch amp, Or run the rears off your HU power.

I never see the point in rear speakers, but each to there own :)

Let me get this right.

If it has 2ch, then you are underloading the amp. Its a low impedance issue. You need to either series front to rear or get a 4ch amp, Or run the rears off your HU power.

4 channel amp, that why i dont know why its cutting out on the rear 6x9s when it runs the front ones fine, getting really confused at it now and a bit peeved off. ive pretty much tried everything, taking it down local shop today to see if they can shed any light on it.

but sill if anyones got any ideas im more than willing to try them out.

CHeer

Let me get this right.

4 channel amp, that why i dont know why its cutting out on the rear 6x9s when it runs the front ones fine, getting really confused at it now and a bit peeved off. ive pretty much tried everything, taking it down local shop today to see if they can shed any light on it.

CHeer

Ok.

as Mat says checking the wiring. However even if its out of phase they will still play loud, but the quality will be low.

Check the crossover freq on the 6x9s, if there getting too much low end the 6x9s will be jumping out of there baskets.

If there fronts still run while the rears cut out it could be wiring or crossover settings.

Let me get this right.

CHeer

Ok.

as Mat says checking the wiring. However even if its out of phase they will still play loud, but the quality will be low.

Check the crossover freq on the 6x9s, if there getting too much low end the 6x9s will be jumping out of there baskets.

If there fronts still run while the rears cut out it could be wiring or crossover settings.

Well randopmly over the weekend everything started working fine very very odd maybe the amp needed running in or something, got the other front component in but the bloomin tweeter was broken so gotta get a new one.

Cheers for the help fellas

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links