Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Thinking Of Upgrading To An Is300

Hi All,

Just wanted to really find out from you IS300 owners what the main benefits of the 300 over the 200 are. I know about the spec's so no probs there. I was really interested in finding out the average no of miles per tank you get, how comfortable those full leather seats are vs the 200's half leather and how the auto box performs? If anybody has any idea how the 300 compares to the IS250's performance that would also be great.

All comments appreciated! I think this is my next move, I don't really like the look of the new IS250 even after driving the auto and manual versions is still doesn't make me want one. I love the IS200 / 300 shape and think the IS300 is for me.

Cheers Mark.

IS300 has so many advantages over the IS200

1) it isnt grossly underpowered

2) acceleration from 50-70 is such that you dont look like an idiot on the motorway as you struggle to speed up

3) it goes uphill without having to change down to second gear ;)

4) The engine sounds a hell of a lot nicer

5) cruise on the motorway at much lower revs than IS200

6) much more refined engine

Hi All,

Just wanted to really find out from you IS300 owners what the main benefits of the 300 over the 200 are. I know about the spec's so no probs there. I was really interested in finding out the average no of miles per tank you get, how comfortable those full leather seats are vs the 200's half leather and how the auto box performs? If anybody has any idea how the 300 compares to the IS250's performance that would also be great.

All comments appreciated! I think this is my next move, I don't really like the look of the new IS250 even after driving the auto and manual versions is still doesn't make me want one. I love the IS200 / 300 shape and think the IS300 is for me.

Cheers Mark.

This is gonna seem obvious, but the main benefit is the extra grunt - even with the auto sapping a chunk of the power, it's significantly quicker than the 200. I love it because it's just so easy to drive, really effortless.

Also the HIDs are good (when the self-levelling is working :angry: )

The other bits & bobs are nice, but don't make that much difference (to me anyway).

I can't say that I noticed any difference (comfort-wise) in the seats - it's the same seat underneath (I assume) so what it's covered in doesn't make a huge difference.

Fuel consumption is a bit higher, but only about 10% - although if you do a lot of urban, or nail it all the time, you will pay through the nozzle.

I get 380-400 out of a tank (usually 65litres) - that's mostly m-way.

Haven't driven a 250 auto yet but the manual I would say was on-a-par performance wise, probably slower off the mark but quicker top-end. I wouldn't say it was a big enough difference to be a clincher either way.

If you like auto's then the 300 is a great car.

Also the HIDs are good (when the self-levelling is working :angry: )

I can't say that I noticed any difference (comfort-wise) in the seats - it's the same seat underneath (I assume) so what it's covered in doesn't make a huge difference.

Fuel consumption is a bit higher, but only about 10% - although if you do a lot of urban, or nail it all the time, you will pay through the nozzle.

I get 380-400 out of a tank (usually 65litres) - that's mostly m-way.

thats a lot of miles from a tank!

Oh yeah I forgot

The button gearshift is fun in hard driving

Its got the "IS300" badge on the back to show IS200 drivers as you leave them behind

Its a lot rarer than the IS200

Big Q, can you live with a auto :o if yes get one :D no, get supercharger :D

I had the same questions flying round my head not so long ago. I decided to go for the supercharger option but thats becasue is far cheaper! :lol:

IS 300 are great as there is not so many about but Auto would soon get a little boring im sure.

thats a lot of miles from a tank!

It's the environmentalist in me :D

I do 90% motorway commute so it's not too bad - by comparison I used to get 430-450 out of the 200.

One other thing, the 300 is better in snow (well, better than a manual 200 anyway).

Great feedback guys - I guess it's time to test drive one (never driven a 300), after driving the IS250 auto I loved the box so hopefully the Is300's auto will be similar.

Watch this space, seen a nice 04 IS300 in Black.

Anybody interested in an IS200 in S/Blue ??!? If not then it's the Stealers who get a nice car....

Great feedback guys - I guess it's time to test drive one (never driven a 300), after driving the IS250 auto I loved the box so hopefully the Is300's auto will be similar.

Watch this space, seen a nice 04 IS300 in Black.

Anybody interested in an IS200 in S/Blue ??!? If not then it's the Stealers who get a nice car....

When I test drove my IS300 (coming from an IS200) I was sideways at every corner... be carefull with it :)

I am getting loads of millage out of this picture (excuse the pun! :lol: )

IS300_MPG.jpg

Different horses for different courses. Dont like auto's. Dont want to start this into a debate of IS300 vs IS200S/C.

I know that after a while the auto can get quite appealing when you become lazy.

the perfect situation would have been a manual IS300 but Lexus decided not to sell it in Europe (that one again) but it was sold in the US......and in the US it cost less than the IS200 did in England :duh:

however it has the shifter buttons on the steering wheel which make for a sporty drive with the power button selected

however it has the shifter buttons on the steering wheel which make for a sporty drive with the power button selected

But, how often do you honestly use it ? :unsure:

also ......... using the manual e-shift, with the sport button pressed, makes no difference, you know this right ?

The power, or the ect pwr button ........... only has an effect when using Full Auto mode ! :)

also ......... using the manual e-shift, with the sport button pressed, makes no difference, you know this right ?

The power, or the ect pwr button ........... only has an effect when using Full Auto mode ! :)

How often do I use it? Quite often on country roads, not so much in town or motorway.

I didnt know the power button had no effect using the e-shift (in fact I didnt know it was called e-shift either) ;)

I think the pwr button also has an effect in e-shift also, can't find anything in the docs saying it doesnt.

I think the pwr button also has an effect in e-shift also, can't find anything in the docs saying it doesnt.

I beleive it don't have any effect at all mate......... I asked this question ages ago !

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...topic=27087&hl=

:D

I find the shifter buttons best when you want to overtake smartly. Virtually no lag on throttle response when you change down to 3rd or 2nd gear. Much better than the PWR button.

I was a die hard-hard manual lover (!) till a problem with my left foot forced me to go auto. I'd never look back now, even if my foot was no longer a problem.

Great car :) :) :)

IanB :D

I find the shifter buttons best when you want to overtake smartly. Virtually no lag on throttle response when you change down to 3rd or 2nd gear. Much better than the PWR button.

I was a die hard-hard manual lover (!) till a problem with my left foot forced me to go auto. I'd never look back now, even if my foot was no longer a problem.

We'll be fitting a Toyomoto valve body upgrade kit to my car - will make the upshift considerably faster than standard :D

I beleive it don't have any effect at all mate......... I asked this question ages ago !

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...topic=27087&hl=

:D

I agree with MacRS on the last post he made in that thread, the pwr button does have an effect on the point at which the box shifts. If you look in your drivers docs it explains the way the e-shift works as that described by MacRS.

So who been editing my note then :question: I know I didn't type "hard" twice :ohmy:

The truth is out there in the moderator team somewhere.............. :)

Just one comment about the leather seats. They are as comfy as the IS200 but are a bit cold when you first sit on them, so my daughter and wife tell me (bare midrifs :blink: ). Seat heaters make up for it, but only in the front.

No such problems for me though. :)

Regarding the deal, with the new IS out now, I'd expect to be able to get something off a 300.

How much do you think the stealer will knock off an IS300 04 plate for £18k? Bearing in mind my trade in - do you think I can negotiate their price or am I better off asking for a couple of free services?

Cheers for the great feedback!

How many miles on the clock? I think I paid 19 for mine in August with 16K on the clock (ex-LexusGB car).

You might be better off seeing what is around private, after all they all have the Lex 3yr warentee dont they ?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links