Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Dodgy Gear Changing..

Hi all..

Got a great deal on a T plate IS200 SE with 70,000 on the clock a few months ago and managed to pick it up for £5,000. Problem is, it's becoming a real problem changing gears a lot of the time, especially into 1, 2 and 3. Unfortunately, I don't have any mechanic buddies and seem to get ripped off every time I take any car to a garage.

What I'd like to know if poss, is if the gear changing problems are likely to be a sign of something big that will cost a fortune to fix, or is it possible it'll be something straightforward? If it's gonna be big then I can hopefully get rid of the car for what I paid for it. If small, then I can keep my new pride and joy.

I'd be grateful for any help.

Thanks..

When you say a problem is that it won't go into gear or are you getting a slight "clicky" sort of feel through the gear lever? If so it is a common IS problem and nothing to worry about.

Hi and Welcome to the LOC :)

I take it your cars a auto? as its the SE.You might have to explain a little more of the symptoms for these guys to be able to help.

Cheers chips..

The car is a manual. Changing gear is regularly a complete nightmare in that I have to go for 4th or 2nd instead of 3rd, not the end of the world given the gear ratio but obviously a problem. The gear i'm trying to select sometimes crunches into gear but often will not let me select it at all.

I take it your cars a auto? as its the SE.You might have to explain a little more of the symptoms for these guys to be able to help.

Cheers chips..

How does being an SE make it an Auto? :yawn:

You could try a different gearbox oil (e.g. redline oil). But some new gear synchros look inevitable.. ;)

Cheers chips..

You could try a different gearbox oil (e.g. redline oil). But some new gear synchros look inevitable.. ;)

Did they make a S auto box? :duh:

Cheers chips..

Ive only ever been in two IS200s in my life both SE models and guess what they were both Autos,so putting 2+2 i got 5 :D :D

Cheers chips..

Did they make a S auto box? :duh:

Yep

Hi all..

Got a great deal on a T plate IS200 SE with 70,000 on the clock a few months ago and managed to pick it up for £5,000. Problem is, it's becoming a real problem changing gears a lot of the time, especially into 1, 2 and 3. Unfortunately, I don't have any mechanic buddies and seem to get ripped off every time I take any car to a garage.

What I'd like to know if poss, is if the gear changing problems are likely to be a sign of something big that will cost a fortune to fix, or is it possible it'll be something straightforward? If it's gonna be big then I can hopefully get rid of the car for what I paid for it. If small, then I can keep my new pride and joy.

I'd be grateful for any help.

Thanks..

it's either worn selector mechanism, a dragging clutch, or worn syncro rings, worn syncro is much more apparent on down changes, try changing gear with the engine off, if it's still tricky, then it's likely that it's the selector mech.

edit this stuff has good results with a 'box with worn syncro's http://www.royalpurple.com/prodsa/scmax.html

or BG Syncroshift

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links