Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

You Gotta Read The Full Story

i cant see how the firebrigade can justify that.........to a bystanders car.

if the car was damaged yes.....thers a need to gain access by all means, but not cutting the roof off

they would have been quite capable of using a rescue board in the confined space of the rear of the car

Sounds like the Fire brigade were throwing their weight around.....wonder what the legallity is in this regard......could the owner have objected ?

if i was a fireman, i would cut open cars for fun. "sorry i thought that doll was a baby trapped in your car" i would say. "here is your roof and doors" i would add.

i cant see how the firebrigade can justify that.........to a bystanders car.

if the car was damaged yes.....thers a need to gain access by all means, but not cutting the roof off

they would have been quite capable of using a rescue board in the confined space of the rear of the car

Yep doesn't make any sense, especially as the owner put that person in the back seat, absolutely no need to cut the car apart. I sure hope that guy didn't just accept it and claim off his insurance, for something as stupid as that he should've sued the fire brigade for a new car......

Guys, the Fire Brigade don't do this for the fun of it, nor do we go about it in a slap happy way. I've viewed the pics and it looks like a "by the book extrication". Screen cut, A & C posts cut low, B post completely removed.

You have to consider this point: We will only do what is necessary, and we will only do it on the say of the paramedics and medical teams on scene. If they want more room and easy access to the causality, then they tell us what they want and we do it. We liase with them all the way, if there is an easier way of extracting the causality then that will be the path taken.

I do feel sorry for the bloke with the Jag, a good samaritan who thought he was doing the right thing. However, simpley by moving the causality he may have made things much worse (unless there was immediate danger to the causality). It only takes slight movement to sever a spinal cord.

My advice should you find yourself in this situation:

Keep yourself safe, don't take unnecessary risks.

Fend off the accident with your car as best you can, ensure any hazzard triangles or similar warnings are put in place to warn others. Put all lights and hazzard warning lamps on.

Make sure that a 999 call has been put in (you would be surprised how many times people assume someone else has done it!!).

Check the causality over very quickly, priority is breathing, second is bleeding. Ensure their airway is clear and open (think OAP false teeth for example, remove if necessary). If you can stem any bleeding then do so using a pad with direct pressure to the wound (but again this is dependant on other injuries, however blood loss will kill you if not stopped).

Unless there is immediate danger to the causality DO NOT MOVE THEM, reassure them that help is on the way, just holding their hand and talking calmly will help 100%.

When the emergency services arrive, hand over any relevant information to the OIC (Officer In Charge).

Sounds like the Fire brigade were throwing their weight around.....wonder what the legallity is in this regard......could the owner have objected ?

As I said above, we work WITH the paramedics, if they want more room then we do as THEY say. As for the legallity of it, well I've never come across anyone in 20 years of dealing with RTA's who has objected, after all it is only a car which can be replaced, a life can not.

Surley this is OTT if both back doors were removed surely a stretcher could be inserted ! and a neck brace etc applied from the front seat !

Not that easy, depends how the medical team want to move the causality, there can be a lot of equipment involved other than just a spinal board and brace......again if there is an easier way then that is the way it would have been done.

Yep doesn't make any sense, especially as the owner put that person in the back seat, absolutely no need to cut the car apart. I sure hope that guy didn't just accept it and claim off his insurance, for something as stupid as that he should've sued the fire brigade for a new car......

Yup, this remark goes in the same category as sueing our soldiers for shooting at the enemy during the war, unreal!! You must also think of this.......maybe the causality took a turn for the worse, or maybe even saw ££££ signs for a nice claim up?? There are numerous possibilities.

And finally, we and ALL the emergency services are there for you. We only do what is necessary, but saving life and ensuring injuries are kept to a minimum are our priority. It is easy to knock a situation that none of us have all the details to......."They should have done this or they should have done that"..... the decisions are made on scene by professionals, and unless you were there then please accept what was done was done for a good reason.

Keith

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links