Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Fuel

The only difference between the various "Super" fuels are the additives. However, when filling up at a local BP station I got chating to the tanker driver who was delivering. This very topic came up and he laughed and said that BP deliver the very same petrol to a certain supermarket as their own.

If you've ever been near a large refinary, you will see tankers from other suppliers filling at the same place.

The only difference between the various "Super" fuels are the additives. However, when filling up at a local BP station I got chating to the tanker driver who was delivering. This very topic came up and he laughed and said that BP deliver the very same petrol to a certain supermarket as their own.

If you've ever been near a large refinary, you will see tankers from other suppliers filling at the same place.

Fair enough, thanks. I was just going to fill up with normal unleaded at shell @ 90.9p, but then saw that sainburys was doing super unleaded for 89.9p, so just went with that. If the supermarket fuels are ultimately supplied by the same big fuel companies, might as well just stick with that from now on......

Just out of interest, does anyone know who actually supplies each of the supermarkets? I've heard before that Morrisons fuel is from Texaco, but unsure of the others....

BP Ultimate has made my car smoother from gear changes thats for sure. I noticed a big difference as it had always been run on Tesco unleaded and ive only just started using something esle to prime it ready for the S/C.

• 3 weeks later...

i have tried all the fules out there from:

Shell Otimax and normal unleaded

Tesco Super and normal unleaded

Texaco

Esso

BP ultimate and normal unleaded

Jet

Safeway

Sainsburys

and to be totally honest they are exactly the same in my opinion none make the car faster, smoother, more MPG its all a load of bolloks and psycological that makes people think different fuels improve speed, MPG etc etc.

Get a friend to do 5 fill ups for you and he cant tell you what fuel he has put in drive it and at the end of the 5th fill up ask yourself if you noticed any difference then ask your friend what fuels he uses.

All i know is that the management system needs a few fill ups before it starts recognising the different octane ratings etc.

i use BP Ultimate and occasionally run an STP fuel system cleaner through, having not used any other type of fuel i wouldn't notice any difference.

my old car loved BP ultimate, anything else it wouldn't tick over too good etc and my girlfriend has a polo diesel and she actually does get better MPG with the cleaner diesel from BP and thats when i drive her car too, (she isn't one to drive fast)

Does anybody else use Fuel system cleaners and which ones and find any differences?

and to be totally honest they are exactly the same in my opinion none make the car faster, smoother, more MPG its all a load of bolloks and psycological that makes people think different fuels improve speed, MPG etc etc.

I'm sorry but that's not true at all, different fuel does make a difference. I've never thought the car felt faster (if it was, then would have been an almost negligible difference anyway) but the engine is definitely more responsive, and runs much smoother. Especially with Optimax, that made the biggest difference.....

I agree it doesn't make that much of a difference with a car like the IS, but with performance cars the difference is huge. I'm not sure if you saw an episode of Fifth Gear where they tested different fuels with different cars, and on a Subaru Impreza, and the engine produced 14 bhp more on Optimax than on ordinary unleaded :o

You can put whatever fuel in a car you like, I'll be able to tell everytime :winky:

I was quite sceptical about the benefits of fuels such as Optimax, Ultimate etc until I started keeping records of costs, MPG, driving conditions & style etc.

With the IS300, there is a 1-2 mpg improvement but for the MR2 Turbo the improvement is as much as 5 mpg.

Have tried Tescos 99ron for about 2months. It gave me the worse fuel consumption overall. 13-18mpg on average.

Back to Optimax now and doing 15-21mpg :D

Have tried Tescos 99ron for about 2months. It gave me the worse fuel consumption overall. 13-18mpg on average.

13mpg? :o :sick: Do you get performance that justifies that fuel consumption? Remember reading that a CLK55 gets about that mpg..... :blink:

I was quite sceptical about the benefits of fuels such as Optimax, Ultimate etc until I started keeping records of costs, MPG, driving conditions & style etc.

With the IS300, there is a 1-2 mpg improvement but for the MR2 Turbo the improvement is as much as 5 mpg.

If only we could get Shell 'V-Power' over here i think that would answer this question ....

Used it number of times when over in Germany...

Had about 1/4 tank of it when arrived home last time and certainly noticed degradation filling up with Optimax.

That was about 2 yrs ago though so maybe things are a bit different now ??

I'm sure the TTE / ring visitors would notice the difference too...

13mpg? :o :sick: Do you get performance that justifies that fuel consumption? Remember reading that a CLK55 gets about that mpg..... :blink:

i'm expecting it to be lower when its setup

:crying:

re: the performance... lol... i wouldn't do it otherwise its tad silly sometimes haha

re: the performance... lol... i wouldn't do it otherwise its tad silly sometimes haha

Don't get the wrong idea, I'm not one to worry about fuel consumption, just wondered whether the car was as quick as a the mpg figure suggests.....

Although my bog standard IS takes 11 seconds to 60 and still only gives me 20mpg :o so I can't really talk :P

I noticed that about Shell 'V Power' - which is what you get in all the western european countries - I put it down to the fact that Optimax is I think rated at 98 and V Power at 100. I certainly noticed a big difference when I started using Optimax over supermarket fuel. It may have been something to do with the fact that the first time after I got the car I filled up with petrol at Morrisons - within 15 mins the engine warning light came on - I kid you not - and an oxygen sensor had to be replaced - fortunately not at my expense. Even with the tank half filled with Optimax and half supermarket petrol the performance improvement was noticeable. Overall it was 20.8 mpg with supermarket and is 23.5 mpg with pure Optimax. When you add to that the fact that it keeps your engine clean and you get pluspoints and if you buy enough they send you a special optimax pluspoints card - there is no contest. Now I use the Shell site to search for the location of Shell stations at home and on the continent!

quote name='TonyGoose' date='Mar 30 2006, 05:09 PM' post='342873']

If only we could get Shell 'V-Power' over here i think that would answer this question ....

Used it number of times when over in Germany...

Had about 1/4 tank of it when arrived home last time and certainly noticed degradation filling up with Optimax.

That was about 2 yrs ago though so maybe things are a bit different now ??

I'm sure the TTE / ring visitors would notice the difference too...

Don't get the wrong idea, I'm not one to worry about fuel consumption, just wondered whether the car was as quick as a the mpg figure suggests.....

Although my bog standard IS takes 11 seconds to 60 and still only gives me 20mpg :o so I can't really talk :P

who knows mate, no official times on 0-60 or BHP yet..

hopefully (say it too many times) soon! lol

11 Seconds! :ohmy: mind you its an Auto I guess.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links