Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Deadlocks On Is250?

Another question on the new IS250 :)

When do the doors deadlock?

There seems to be at least two ways to lock the doors

- Exit the car and press the little button on the door handle

- Exit the car and press the lock button on the key ring

Do the deadlocks go on automatically, or does this just normally lock the car, no deadlocks until you do something else?

The reason I ask is that my current car only locks on the first press of the key ring lock, a second press is needed to deadlock it. Does the Lexus do the same (or similar)?

Almost convinced myself to splosh the dosh and place an order :lookaround:

Barry

Hi Barry,

Well I have the new GS and I would guess the IS is the same.

First press of the Remote or button on the door handle will lock the car, press either button again within 5 seconds and the deadlocks will activate.

You can also close any windows or sunroof with a long press on the first press and then fire the deadlocks on the second press !!

Hope this helps.

The Ed

P.S. You can also open the windows and sunroof from the remote (to let any hot air out of the car in the summer as you walk up to the vehicle. Just press and hold the 'unlock' button on the remote)

Another question on the new IS250 :)

When do the doors deadlock?

There seems to be at least two ways to lock the doors

- Exit the car and press the little button on the door handle

- Exit the car and press the lock button on the key ring

Do the deadlocks go on automatically, or does this just normally lock the car, no deadlocks until you do something else?

The reason I ask is that my current car only locks on the first press of the key ring lock, a second press is needed to deadlock it. Does the Lexus do the same (or similar)?

Almost convinced myself to splosh the dosh and place an order :lookaround:

Barry

Press the door button "twice" to lock and "dead lock"

Press the remote button (just once I believe) to "Dead Lock" in one hit. I seem to recall the manual going on about how you can use the Remote to "single lock" too. Pressing it twice makes a different type of noise...sounds as if the motors are trying to lock the doors but they're already dead locked...

Go on mate - splosh the dosh! You'll love it! I seriously cannot find anything other than diesel economy and the slightly naive dealer to criticise on the car or the service...

I keep creeping into the garage just to make sure she's OK...give her a stroke and walk back out...

Thanks for all the replies, sounds like it's the same as my current car.

Normal Lock = locking system engages, car can be unlocked from the inside and out either with a key or by activating the buttons on the inside of the car (even with a coat hanger, bricks and the such like)

Deadlock = locking system engages and is mechanically locked so only the key can unlock it (pressing buttons on the inside of the car does nothing)

So deadlocks are good to avoid theft, unless you have accidentally left a child or passenger on the inside of the car, as they are stuck and get to listen to the alarm until you return... (sorry been there done that... :blush: )

Barry

Can't believe this, that seems to be the second irritating feature of the new IS that I've read about within a few hours :blink:

I've no idea why they would carry this stupid way of locking the car forward - in the almost 4 years I've owned my car, I've never locked anyone in the car, however, I've had to press that lock button twice everytime I lock it :angry:

I don't see why they choose to do it this way round, it only seems to be Japanese cars that do this, other cars all deadlock with the one press and you have to do some weird procedure only when you want to switch it off - IMO that makes far more sense...... ;)

Can't believe this, that seems to be the second irritating feature of the new IS that I've read about within a few hours :blink:

I've no idea why they would carry this stupid way of locking the car forward - in the almost 4 years I've owned my car, I've never locked anyone in the car, however, I've had to press that lock button twice everytime I lock it :angry:

I don't see why they choose to do it this way round, it only seems to be Japanese cars that do this, other cars all deadlock with the one press and you have to do some weird procedure only when you want to switch it off - IMO that makes far more sense...... ;)

Try Mercedes !!.... My Merc (2004) has no deadlocks. In fact NO MERCEDES has deadlocks. The manufacturer still sticks by it's principal that they are dangerous in the event of an emergency/accident. They have never fitted them and never will (so they say). At least the Lexus gives you a choice !! :D

The Ed

I think the Lexus (and my Mazda) have a crash sensor that opens the doors if it senses an impact.

This in itself is a security risk (think jack up car, hit sensor with hammer, hey presto doors open, seen RAC do it when keys locked in car). Hopefully the Lexus has a motion sensor to check the car was moving before the sensor is activated...

It's all "swings and roundabouts"

Barry

After, owning my first Lexus for a week I just got in the habit of "Double" locking the door on exit. It is usually only me in the car and I've never locked anyone in the car. Well I've done it once or twice but only for a joke! :D

With the new car it is second nature. I don't find it a problem at all.

MB - the same company who used Vacuum locking, which you could unlock by covering the door lock with half a tennis ball. On my dads old 230e (1981), you could punch the ball and ... the doors would unlock!

Must be the emergency exit/evacuation procedures!

YUP - Always carry a tennis ball and a Stanley knife in the boot :blink: - You're right though, it first reared it's head on the 230's I think. Cover the Petrol cap lock with half a tennis ball and whack hard !!.... Watch all the other buttons pop up !! :lol::lol:

Mind you - not as bad as Fords..... Get youself a small club hammer.... walk round to front of vehicle.... strike front tow loop with hammer.... watch air bags deploy and central locking system unlock all doors :P

Or of course there's the Bentley Continental and the two pence piece... no... I wont go there !!!

The Ed

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links