Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Should I Keep My Is200?

bloofire

Guys, should I hang on to my IS200 SE and modify it bigtime? Or should I just cut out the middle man and buy an EVO VI?!

I love my lexus but need more power, and I just not sure whether all the hassle of engine tuning time and costs, losing the warranty, and getting hammered on insurance is worth it!

To you guys with modified IS200's: is it really a cost effective way of getting more power? or are you all just lexus afficionados who think sod it to the cost?

I know!

I'm just torn as I love my IS200 but think that insuring even a Group 20 car (ie Evo VI) would be cheaper than insuring a modified one. Don't know tho.....

Also another question - how much Bhp has anyone managed to get out of the standard '6' engine (with s/c obviously)?

Have you joined Gold yet? There's some really good insurance deals and modifications are sympathetically looked at. It probably wouldn't cost you that much on insurance. Some of the guys with modded cars could give you a better idea...

Well I think if you chat to some of the guys, some insurance companies are not too bad with mod's also there are benefits to joining gold coming up very soon if it's insurance you're really worried about.

As for the overall cost of the mods - I am just about to start myself so can't help too much - have a look at TDI's website - also worth joining gold for! :D

As for the Evo VI, you're right they are a nice car - but you loose alot of the creature comforts - even ridability, i have only been a passenger in on not actually driven it, but I found it Very uncomfortable!

All in all - I don't know!

Sorry!

Thank you i've had a good look at TDI's website and having done a few calculations, I reckon I'd need to spend about £10k to get the car how I want it! That's why an EVO VI seems appealling, a ready to go supercar for £15-20k! But you're right, they're just not as comfortable or stylish - in fact they look a bit 'wide' don't they!! I think I'd rather drive a wolf in sheeps clothing that a wolf in wolf's clothing!!

Does anyone know a details about insurance discounts or how much they hate modified Lexuses (lexi?!?!?)?

Does anyone know a details about insurance discounts or how much they hate modified Lexuses (lexi?!?!?)?

join gold mate

we have a tailor made insurance scheme for Lexus owners, features of which include

* Discounted rates

* Imported cars rated the same as UK models.

* Guarantee on all repairs.

* Free Green Cards

* Courtesy car

* Modifications treated sympathetically ;)

* Track Day cover.

* Special value consideration, appropriate to the special care you take with your car. Other Insurers do not truly appreciate the proper value for your car.

* Very low cost breakdown insurance.

* Flexibility on “difficult” cases

* 2 car discounts and flexible no claim bonus allowances.

plus, you'll get discounts on your servicing, modification parts, labour, etc.

well worth the £25

If you are after sheer BHP then obviously the IS200 will never compete with the EVO, however the reason I stay with Lexus is due to the all round package of the car the image the driveability and the styling. I have loved Lexus cars for years so personally I am content to modify it bit by bit and I am aware that for the ammoun of money that I am spending on the car I could have a standard car that is far quicker but hey its NOT a Lexus!!

Cheers

Si

Hi Bloofire,

Im not too sure about the Evo VI but my partner has an EVO VII and whilst its quick and can be modded too, its a boneshaker! If you still want the kelwness of the Lexi, buy an altezza RS200 or even better still, but a V300 vertex like mine - its got a lovely GTE (twin turbo) engine it, goes like stink and is comfotable too! - I'm sure the guys on the forum will tell you just how tuneable that engine is!

Thanks simon for your comments - think you're right - the lexus is just a lot 'nicer' car really isn't it? I mean a bit more classy and comfortable - maybe i'll stick with it!

Also thank you Gamesound - I've never heard of either of the models you suggested - where can I find out more on the web?

I'm sure Rodders is going to bounce in and correct me, but the Aristo V300 Vertex I believe, is sold as a Lexus GS300 in Europe.

And if you absolutley positively have to have the fastest 4-door Lexus available, then it's probably...

(Dave's) Lexussport's modified GS430. :hocus-pokus:

Here are some prime GS piccys from the Gallery. :geek:

(Cue Vision On Music)

Oh Wow Oh!

Oh Wow Oh!

Oh Wow Oh!

Oh WOW Oh!

OH NO! OH!

Mate they are some wicked GS's.

But going back to my original question - just how much power is it possible to get out of a UK spec IS200?

I'm sorry to say it, but how much money do you have?

For example, when Mat (SuprachargedIS340) finishes upgrading his IS200, he should reach over 700BHP when it's finished sometime this quarter. So with money, no object, anything is possible.

However, coming down to the real world....

The IS200 puts out about 153BHP.

Supercharger (S/C) increases that by 32% to 202BHP.

The above figures are quoted by Lexus & TTE. But that's where figures start to get a bit vague.

TDi offer a number of upgrades including the S/C, but as I said, apart from the S/C, very little has as yet been tested for BHP figures.

Also you should note, that some of the Lexus's internals are not suitable for increasing much beyond 250BHP.

It's a known fact for example, the pistons and conrods in a UK LEXUS IS200 are weak in this regard.

In other words, while up to 300 BHP might be possible, you'd need to start replacing some major internal components before you go that route.

Mark @ TDi has estimated that with the S/Charger and their Stage one boost upgrade/HKS exhaust/TDi manifold/TDi intercooler/TDi stage II induction/UniChip ECU, you should be at about 250BHP.

Therefore, 300BHP should be possible with an increase in compression ratio, and TDi's stage II boost upgrade. But might also require NOS upgrade to actually achieve.

Figures quoted are my pure estimates, based on best guess/assumption, and not taken from any literature or website.

Mate they are some wicked GS's.

But going back to my original question - just how much power is it possible to get out of a UK spec IS200?

I have had the figure of 400 BHP quoted with stage 1&2 and a serious boost upgrade, but that would take some serious work, alternatively do a Mat, whip the engine out and stick in a serious piece of kit and get 700BHP!! :ohmy:

Simon/GRiM - thanks for that - very helpful and insightful actually. I suppose 205bhp is about Honda Accord Type R power in a similar sized car. Having looked into it, these mods are likely to cost around £5k. There is a place in Ipswich who have quoted me £700 for a 75bhp NOS install - might just take the cheap route and get laughing gas!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links