Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Last Minute Questions

Arcane

Hey all, tomorrow I'll be attempting to fit some TEIN coilovers to my IS200. I'll be following the instructions found on the main website. I'm a novice at mechanical work, however I feel quite confident it doing the work myself. My two questions are:

1. How do I replace the upper wishbone? Does it just press together easily or will I need some sort of tool to press them together?

2. The ABS sensor, how does it unclip? Just pull it off or is there another method.

I know these questions seem a little stupid, but I jut want to be sure beforehand. Thanks in advance.

:lol:

Hey all, tomorrow I'll be attempting to fit some TEIN coilovers to my IS200. I'll be following the instructions found on the main website. I'm a novice at mechanical work, however I feel quite confident it doing the work myself. My two questions are:

1. How do I replace the upper wishbone? Does it just press together easily or will I need some sort of tool to press them together?

2. The ABS sensor, how does it unclip? Just pull it off or is there another method.

I know these questions seem a little stupid, but I jut want to be sure beforehand. Thanks in advance.

Coil overs or lowering springs?

Not sure about no.1 but no.2 - There are a couple of 10mm (I think) bolts and it just unclips. You'll see when you take the wheel off. Very easy :winky:

Make sure you get your geometry checked after you've fitted the coilovers too. :winky:

to question 1.

By upper wishbone, are you refering to the one on the front.

As it is possible to remove the front shocks and replace them without removing the top wishbone

Yes, coilovers.

And yes, I meant the front. In the instructions it says I need a balljoint splitter, which I bought yesteday, to split the upper wishbone. So this is a unecessary step in the instructions?

Also, I'll book myself into a alignment centre recommended by Mr. Morse on another thread. Nottingham 4 Wheel Alignment Centre.

it is possible to not remove the upper wishbone if you use a 28" prybay to allow the suspension arm to move downwards.

but it may be easier to just do it the way you planned

Coilovers successfully installed. The instructions on the main website aren't the best as lots of problems cropped up which aren't even mentioned. But after a lot of head scracthing and sore knuckles, all done. I'll post up the picturs later.

Thanks for the help and advice guys. By the way, I did have to seperate the balljoint as there was no way the damper and springs were going to come out with the wishbone in the way.

im sorry the instructions were not perfect for u, what infomation was missing

i think without writing a novel, all the basics and safety infomation is covered, individual problems or lack of mechanical experiance can not be accounted for....when putting together a guide

Edited by Monster-Mat

Lovely looking car mate :D

Thank you very much :lol:

im sorry the instructions were not perfect for u, what infomation was missing

i think without writing a novel, all the basics and safety infomation is covered, individual problems or lack of mechanical experiance can not be accounted for....when putting together a guide

First of all, thanks for writing the instructions in the first place. Without it I wouldn't have been able to do the work at all. I know it's difficult to write instructions for everyone, especially someone as numb headed as myself when it comes to cars and components.

I think it would be useful to add more detail on how to seperate the balljoint and wishbone. I bought a similar looking tool but it just wouldn't work (I know that isn't your fault) but I resorted to smacking the joint till it came loose. So that may be worth a mention. Another thing I found is when removing the lower arm bolt, doing just that didn't help me. I had to remove the smaller bolt futher up the arm which helped me push it down a little more. One last thing, I didn't lube any bolts/nuts up when reassembling the parts. Was I ment to and if so, where?

Basically, any extra hints and tips would be good. It'd make other novices like myself more comfortable in doing the work. When the balljoint wouldn't come loose, I honestly believed I had hit a dead end with the front of my car stuck in the air.

Thanks again!

:D

did u use spring compressors, if u did then there wouldnt have been a need to remove anymore bolts.

the bolts dont need lubing when re-instaling

ball joint splitters are pretty much self explanitory....u fit it and tighten up the bolt to push down on the ball joint threaded section.....thats it, i suppose the only bit i never mentioned was to have the nut slack so that when the ball joint splitter splits the joint there is movement allowed, the only reason to keep the nut on there with the type of splitter i used was to keep it centrelised on the stud.........there are different types of balljoint splitter!

if u was so unsure, u should have Pmed me or made a post, then any details YOU was unsure off could have been answered

however im glad you have everything sorted

Edited by Monster-Mat

did u use spring compressors, if u did then there wouldnt have been a need to remove anymore bolts.

the bolts dont need lubing when re-instaling

ball joint splitters are pretty much self explanitory....u fit it and tighten up the bolt to push down on the ball joint threaded section.....thats it, i suppose the only bit i never mentioned was to have the nut slack so that when the ball joint splitter splits the joint there is movement allowed, the only reason to keep the nut on there with the type of splitter i used was to keep it centrelised on the stud.........there are different types of balljoint splitter!

if u was so unsure, u should have Pmed me or made a post, then any details YOU was unsure off could have been answered

however im glad you have everything sorted

I didn't realise it was you who wrote the instructions otherwise I would have PM'd you and picked your brains haha.

Hey peoplez,

New to the LOC forum UK - I'm from Sydney, Australia. Gees your forums are are way bigger than what we have down there. I got an IS200 myself about 3 months ago and looking at ways to modify the car.

Nicely done Arcane looks sweet - Hey are those G-Max wheels you got there ?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links