Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Creatign A Spare Key

I got my Car yesterday and as usual with second hand cars through dealers i only got 1 key.

I am sure this is the master key as it does all locks and remote operates the boot.

I can get a blank key from eBay for £10 and a local locksmith will cut it for me.

My problem is the electronics.

Can i get a used key from eBay £10-£15 and swap the blades and reprogram it to my ECU

or am i better going to the Canadian seller who is selling a blank key and electronics for £50.

I read the problems with the canadian keys being longer but thats not a problem i cna get it cut down easily.

Thanks in advance.

Hopefully you can all help me before i loose my keys (has happened once or twice)

Kris

I got my Car yesterday and as usual with second hand cars through dealers i only got 1 key.

I am sure this is the master key as it does all locks and remote operates the boot.

I can get a blank key from ebay for £10 and a local locksmith will cut it for me.

Can i get a used key from ebay £10-£15 and swap the blades and reprogram it to my ECU

or am i better going to the Canadian seller who is selling a blank key and electronics for £50.

I read the problems with the canadian keys being longer but thats not a problem i cna get it cut down easily.

Thanks in advance.

Hopefully you can all help me before i loose my keys (has happened once or twice)

Kris

I went for the canadian long key when I got my spare (still need to get it re-cut though). You can't replace the key blades on them (the back of the surround is molded/bonded around the blade.) However you can reprogam the keys via this fairly convoluted process here.

hth

h

I can get a blank key from ebay for £10 and a local locksmith will cut it for me.

Can i get a used key from ebay £10-£15 and swap the blades and reprogram it to my ECU

Thanks in advance.

Kris

I went for the canadian long key when I got my spare (still need to get it re-cut though). You can't replace the key blades on them (the back of the surround is molded/bonded around the blade.) However you can reprogam the keys via this fairly convoluted process here.

hth

h

blades off e bay for £6.95 are aprox 5mm longer too like the canadian one but it does not matter, you have two options, 1 cut the 5mm off the end and then get it cut or 2 just get it cut, as long as the ends match all that will hapen is the key head sticks 5mm further out the lock. makes no difference.

I took 2 keys to lexus to have them reprogramed and Leicester did it FREE. should be £50 so be prepared just incase. my keys were blacks off e bay and 2 second hand keys off e bay. blanks bere £6.95 each inc postage and 2nd hand keys were £15 each inc postage and key cut was £6 each.

Craig

sorry blanks not blacks! you can tell its monday morning! :blink:

Saw the same key on Ebay, look ok but have to make sure they are OK for UK cars (length wise). They are saying the correct model Number as far as i can see.

Ebay link

Good deal compared to Dealer pricing.

They are longer than UK keys but that's not a problem for a proper locksmith - however Colin raises a good point aout the transponder...

(didn't worry me as I already had a working transponder that I could replace with the canadian one.)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links