Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My Car Is Putting Out A Bit More Boost Than I Was Expecting!

aido

OK so I took a trip to UPAuto in Notts to finalise the installation of the Defi stuff that Gord fitted for me on Wednesday (cheers fella) and Tony there is a sound guy, really knows his stuff and we had a good chat about other stuff as well..

Anyway, the Aristo has a bleed valve fitted to it to up the boost slightly, stock the car runs around 0.7 - 0.8 bar I think which gives you a power figure of around 320bhp I think it is, well with the boost guage in situ it's peaked at just over 1.2 bar and seems to be constant at around 1.1 bar under pressure, or 1.2 bar with PWR mode activated.

Definitely time to look at the fuelling and a proper boost controller next anyway!

The thing is I think that both cats are still in place, so I'm not exactly sure what the power output will be, but I'm guessing it's none too shabby :D

The only problem is I can't stop watching the boost guage now, never had one before so I'm like a kid with a new toy :)

Pete at Thor was advising me against that mate, have to admit I do like that it's so quiet, I'd always wanted a car with a BOV but I like the fact it's a sleeper with the stock setup, had some kid in a modded GTi showing off on the way home so showed him what a sleeper was capable of :winky:

But yeah Tony is ace, he was on about when he used to live near you, calls you Morsey :lol:

sounds nice Aido.........mine is limited to 1.2 bar and seems fairly quick...........I have no cats and a 3" straight thru system.......cant say what she did the other day on the M11.......or on the A13 on Friday against a Supra :winky:

sounds nice Aido.........mine is limited to 1.2 bar and seems fairly quick...........I have no cats and a 3" straight thru system.......cant say what she did the other day on the M11.......or on the A13 on Friday against a Supra :winky:

Was it an N/A Supra then? Doubt at 1.2 bar it'd beat a Supra :winky:

Had a Turbo sticker..........but who knows what he/she actually had..........all I know is that it was fun..........if i remember right your IS spanked a "450 bhp" Supra some time ago...... :winky:

Had a Turbo sticker..........but who knows what he/she actually had..........all I know is that it was fun..........if i remember right your IS spanked a "450 bhp" Supra some time ago...... :winky:

More left for dead :winky: But then the driver is a pussy ;)

How do you come to that conclusion???

On the BOV front, you wouldn't hear the dump to atmos BOV unless you let off during boost. ( or unless you've done a manual conversion)

Because there are not that many standard TT Supras about nowadays. The most simplist and cheap mod to do to a Supra is large front mount and restricter ring / FCD to up the boost to 1.2 bar. Which is pretty much the max the turbos can take...

So YOU are telling me that an Aristo will beat a Supra??? :blink:

Dream on Pal ;)

Because there are not that many standard TT Supras about nowadays. The most simplist and cheap mod to do to a Supra is large front mount and restricter ring / FCD to up the boost to 1.2 bar. Which is pretty much the max the turbos can take...

Dream on Pal ;)

Not sure where you got the idea that an FMIC is one of the cheapest mods or one of the ones that are required for BPU. Simplest Supra mods are FCD, exhaust, decat, restrictor ring, spark plugs and fuel pump which are all required to be at BPU safely, boosting 1.2bar as you said, and all these also apply to the Aristo which will see identical power gains. If an identical Supra went up against an Aristo, the Supra would win as it is substantially lighter, but I wouldn't say it would be a complete whitewash.

As standard mate you're looking at around the following:

Kerb weight 1680 kg 3704 lb

Max. output(JIS) 279.8 PS (276.0 bhp) (205.8 kW)@5600 rpm

Max. torque(JIS) 451.0 Nm (333 lbft) (46 kgm)@3600 rpm

The BHP figure is quoted as per the Japanese gentleman's agreement in that it is shown as below 280bhp, although on the 2JZ-GTE's there is a correlation between the BHP and the Lb/ft, they're pretty close when modified as well as when standard.

In terms of the Supra, the RZ which is the TT model comes in at 1510 kg which is a little bit more than 10% lighter with the same power output which is why they're so quick!

As you can see as standard the Aristo V300 has more torque than any other model in the current Lexus range, including the GS430 and GS450, in fact the Lexus LS460 does have more torque but in a much heavier chassis (1925kg), although a modified Aristo would be pushing out around the same levels if not more anyway!

From the video it seems like the Supra is a manual...manual's are known to be inconsistent in a 1/4 mile unless driven by a good driver...you need to launch the car right, have perfect gearchanges too. The other problem with a manual is loss of boost during gearchanges as opposed to an autobox where there is no loss of boost again giving the Aristo an advantage to running a consistant time.

There's not so many variables in launching a car with a auto as opposed to a manual :). An auto you launch and stand on the accelerator...on a manual you have to launch, have perfect gear changes throughout the whole 1/4 mile :).

Yoshi not to offend but you're wrong in this instance...Supra weighs less, has same power as the Aristo...also has a lower stock 0-60 and 1/4 mile time...some also came with a LSD in effect helping traction during launch. I don't see any possibility of a stock Automatic Supra losing out to a stock Automatic Aristo with identical drivers :).

Dream on Pal ;)

With that statement, your the one that's dreaming dear boy.

A FMIC is the simplest and cheapest mod?? yeh OK...................

Forget 0-60, forget 1/4 mile drag on a prepped surface, we're talking about the real world here.

The Aristo has more than a fair chance against a Supra of the same level of tune, same power plant remember, with the Supra being lighter, which doesn't matter a great deal on a rolling start.

Quite strange.

With that statement, your the one that's dreaming dear boy.

Forget 0-60, forget 1/4 mile drag on a prepped surface, we're talking about the real world here.

The Aristo has more than a fair chance against a Supra of the same level of tune, same power plant remember, with the Supra being lighter , which doesn't matter a great deal on a rolling start.

Quite strange.

Yes you are pal,, :yawn: Think you've just said it all there matey ;)

I'd have to agree with you Adie, I was following a couple of the Supe boys a couple of weeks back and we were having fun on the M1, they were pulling away from me, yeah they were BPU but I'm not far off but would have thought that it was the superior power to weight ratio of the Supra helping it pull on the Aristo - that and the fact that i'm a fat lad of course!!!

Our testostorone levels are running on 1.2 bar :D

As mentioned above you can have a car putting out over 400 bhp but if the driver is a woos then he/she may as well have a reliant Robin 850cc :tomato:

Bang on about the bad driver but the problem is if you come up against an auto Supra, like for like, you're fecked.

I definitely am around my area as all the Supes around here that are TT have BPU so they wipe me on the floor!

I'd have to agree with you Adie, I was following a couple of the Supe boys a couple of weeks back and we were having fun on the M1, they were pulling away from me, yeah they were BPU but I'm not far off but would have thought that it was the superior power to weight ratio of the Supra helping it pull on the Aristo - that and the fact that i'm a fat lad of course!!!

Our testostorone levels are running on 1.2 bar :D

As mentioned above you can have a car putting out over 400 bhp but if the driver is a woos then he/she may as well have a reliant Robin 850cc :tomato:

Bang on about the bad driver but the problem is if you come up against an auto Supra, like for like, you're fecked.

I definitely am around my area as all the Supes around here that are TT have BPU so they wipe me on the floor!

i'm not the slimest ....and (pm'd story to Adie) was not embarrassed when up against a soop.....I'd reckon as well with the risto fat arse we'd do well in the wet :winky:

i'm not the slimest ....and (pm'd story to Adie) was not embarrassed when up against a soop.....I'd reckon as well with the risto fat arse we'd do well in the wet :winky:

I'm two of you :P

Maybe it's my tyres but if I go above 4k rpm in the wet the car snakes like hell and the VSC kicks in, hate in what that happens as it feels like you're gliding for a couple of seconds while it rectifies itself, have to admit that's better than ending up backwards though :lol:

Was playing with snow mode today and that's better in the wet as it pretty much disables boost looking at the boost gauge!

Aido: Snow mode only adds a bit of..."lag"?? to acceleration and throttle response and starts off in 2nd gear...have you had a chance to get the new tires for the rear? As that may be the problem you're having with the car feeling like a "snake" when driving :). Only time I ever had that problem was when my alignment was WAY off and I had silly wear on the inside of my rear tires...apart from that I've noticed the Eagle F1 GS-D3's have a very "weak" sidewall which also makes the rear end "slide" much more easily.

Aido: Snow mode only adds a bit of..."lag"?? to acceleration and throttle response and starts off in 2nd gear...have you had a chance to get the new tires for the rear? As that may be the problem you're having with the car feeling like a "snake" when driving :). Only time I ever had that problem was when my alignment was WAY off and I had silly wear on the inside of my rear tires...apart from that I've noticed the Eagle F1 GS-D3's have a very "weak" sidewall which also makes the rear end "slide" much more easily.

Hi mate, not sure on the snow mode, was testing it out with the exact same throttle position, enabling snow mode and the car dropped to negative boost, enable again without moving my foot and the gauge shot back up to around 0.5 bar, tried it a few times.

Maybe it's the fact that it's moving the throttle readings back that it's dropping off?

Still not got new rears for this one, I've kinda got used to the handling for now, these don't seem that bad in the wet compared to the Toyo's I had on the IS, just driving the car VERY gently in the wet :o

Might even just chuck some winter tyres on for now and then get some ultra high performance dry tyres as the spring is coming?

Hi mate, not sure on the snow mode, was testing it out with the exact same throttle position, enabling snow mode and the car dropped to negative boost, enable again without moving my foot and the gauge shot back up to around 0.5 bar, tried it a few times.

Maybe it's the fact that it's moving the throttle readings back that it's dropping off?

Still not got new rears for this one, I've kinda got used to the handling for now, these don't seem that bad in the wet compared to the Toyo's I had on the IS, just driving the car VERY gently in the wet :o

Might even just chuck some winter tyres on for now and then get some ultra high performance dry tyres as the spring is coming?

That's pretty interesting to be honest...means that you'd be driving completely off boost and therefore better fuel economy too. Guess it enables power to build up as slow as possible even when you have your foot to the ground in snow mode hence no boost?

I don't like snow mode as such though as the steering seems to get "heavier"? So just leave it in Normal in town driving and power on dual carriageway/motorway driving. Might give Snow mode a try though to see if it affects the MPG any on my next long journey.

How's your alignment by the way on the rear?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links