Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

M.p.g Indicator

Mr-Lex

Bit of problem I think. On my car the Miles Per Gallon (MPG) indicator (I think thats what you call it ;) ...too lazy :sleeping: to look at the manual for the correct name) on the dash board the indicator seems not to move about at all and seems to stick around the 40 mark even when I have done well over 100mph.

Friend of mines says it should move about a lot like the BMW's!! Is this true???

Anyway pls tell me the way it should actually work as I feel a bit... :blush:

Erm - mine moves about a fair amount to be honest....

If I put my foot down, I get about 5mpg, where as if I'm cruising between 60 and 80 it hovers around 30mpg....

I'm sure it shouldn't remain static - does it not move even if you are standing still with the engine running...? :unsure:

Mine wiggles about..

I guess your looking at the little dial and not the rev counter ;)

I think it is measuring the fuel output, coz if you take your foot off the throttle you get about 80mpg+

And anything below, I believe 20mph, you dont get a measurement.

While were are on the subject, anyone used Esso Super Unleaded? (if this tank full is anything to go on, no more in my car! - its performing more like a diesel now:( )

A few years ago I used to drive BMW :blush: and the MPG needle used to stick quite often. This may sound stupid, but to get it working again I used to bang the top of the dash. Obviously, you don't want to be doing this, but it maybe worth a try.

I think I tried that...not heavy bang but more like pls effing working stroked it but still doesn't work :P !!!!

anyday playa...mind you it says that but does 40 odd miles on a £10!!! Lets swap!!!! :hehe:

Just tried contacting Lexus in Hadleigh and guess what the service mnager is away from his desk.... :angry:

I think I tried that...not heavy bang but more like pls effing working stroked it but still doesn't work :P !!!!

anyday playa...mind you it says that but does 40 odd miles on a £10!!! Lets swap!!!! :hehe:

Just tried contacting Lexus in Hadleigh and guess what the service mnager is away from his desk.... :angry:

Give them a ring back. Andy is the service manager. He's very helpful. I'm sure if you take the car in to Hadleigh they'll sort it out for you. B)

Zee,

Awaiting on some "bolts" I think...the driverside of the door is making a crunching noise everytime I open it and the dealer had to order that part to have it repaired. Plus some TO$$ pot stole my front "sport" badge from the grill (well thats what I am thinking how it came off) rather than thinking it came off naturally which will put me off everytime I look at the car bearing in mind the car should be solid in everyway!!!! :P

So waiting for these parts.... <_<

the mpg consumption guage works of vacum/pressure felt at the throttle body..........basically its powered by air or the lack of it

accelerate..........you create a vacum on the guage

de-accelrate.......the guge feels positive pressure

• 3 weeks later...

right, had it checked out and guess what...they need to change the whole dashboard as the whole system is under running... including my rev counter :angry:

Basically if I am doing 30mph i'm actually doing under that by few miles.

They have ordered the unit and it will come from Belgium or Japan within the next 7-10 days. One BIG concern to me now, when they replace the unit my mileage will go back to zero. But did say they will mark it on the service history book (s/h/b ) and my genuine mileage can be recorded from that. I was thinking if and when I do sell this car (which shouldn't be for a long time)...it might look dodgy even though it will state that on the s/h/b?? what do you think... :blush: ? Obviously I know many cars have incorrect mileage due to malfuntion or clocking it back few miles but I don't like the idea of losing my actual mileage data. Surely this can be done someway without losing my recorded mileage data???

Look in the back of auto trader there is plenty of people advertising mileage correction ,they do it with a computer not sure as to wether they can do your car but worth a go perhaps the dealer will pay for it to be done.

thanks for the advice mudzs...will actually do that... :D

Look in the back of auto trader there is plenty of people advertising mileage correction ,they do it with a computer not sure as to wether they can do your car but worth a go perhaps the dealer will pay for it to be done.

hmmmm

this is only my opinion mind you, but I think I woulod rather have a service book authorised by Lexus, showing correct mileage and reason for adjustment, than let some shady car clocker fix it.

I'm sure Lexus will endorse your service history book anyway, so then when you come to sell you have to explain why you had this messing about done.

If I was buying your car, I would be more impressed by an (apparently) low mileage, but duely Lexus endorsed car - than one that has been endorsed, and had the mileage artificially altered

hmmmm

this is only my opinion mind you, but I think I woulod rather have a service book authorised by Lexus, showing correct mileage and reason for adjustment, than let some shady car clocker fix it.

I'm sure Lexus will endorse your service history book anyway, so then when you come to sell you have to explain why you had this messing about done.

If I was buying your car, I would be more impressed by an (apparently) low mileage, but duely Lexus endorsed car - than one that has been endorsed, and had the mileage artificially altered

;) hhhmmm...you are right there as well....very good point. more confused! <_<

What if I got the dealers permission for that and if they can make a note on their records and the s/h/b over the artificial mileage???

In my experience they will set the mileage in the new unit to exactly what it was on the old unit. I had the same thing on an A3 I had 2 years back. The technicians said that the mileage was also stored in the computer, in a similar area to the fault codes I suppose. Therefore it can be automatically done by linking the old and new units together. Your lucky in someways, mine was reading above the speed I was doing, which meant that the odo read more miles than I had actually done, yours will read less.

Does that help at all?

In my experience they will set the mileage in the new unit to exactly what it was on the old unit. I had the same thing on an A3 I had 2 years back. The technicians said that the mileage was also stored in the computer, in a similar area to the fault codes I suppose. Therefore it can be automatically done by linking the old and new units together. Your lucky in someways, mine was reading above the speed I was doing, which meant that the odo read more miles than I had actually done, yours will read less.

Does that help at all?

If you mean the dealers, then they won't. The impression I got from them that my mileage will be zero once they have installed it and only be recorded on servive history book.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links