Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is200 Turbo

They proper way to fit it (manifold) is to trim the engine mount slightly the turbo can be mounted at the correct angle then.

Yup i was looking at the angle of where the turbo first would have sat with out the slight bend, i think gav had that made up.

It'll be fine im not going to be chucking it around any tracks or anything.

Plus Gav did it to his car and had no problems and he is also putting the 2jz gte in his now which i sure will put the whole car under a lot more strain

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They proper way to fit it (manifold) is to trim the engine mount slightly the turbo can be mounted at the correct angle then.

Yup i was looking at the angle of where the turbo first would have sat with out the slight bend, i think gav had that made up.

Plus Gav did it to his car and had no problems and he is also putting the 2jz gte in his now which i sure will put the whole car under a lot more strain

Not being funny but if you are not going to drive the car hard why fit the Turbo ?

Mat C knows what he's talking about and I'd read what he said carefully. Also if,g*d forbid you were in an accident you may find yourself in difficulties with the insurance co/police over what you've done IF it caused or contributed to the prang.

Notwithstanding that you've done bloody well to get were you are with the car in the time you've spent on it

Not being funny but if you are not going to drive the car hard why fit the Turbo ?

Mat C knows what he's talking about and I'd read what he said carefully. Also if,g*d forbid you were in an accident you may find yourself in difficulties with the insurance co/police over what you've done IF it caused or contributed to the prang.

Notwithstanding that you've done bloody well to get were you are with the car in the time you've spent on it

Sorry i think we got wires crossed, the car will be driving hard trust me on the :winky: just not until its got the fueling sorted and the FCON fitted which is the same time that the hole will be welded up.

Got some more photos for some advise i'll pop them up in a bit

OK well as i found out i need the O2 sensors in (gav's ECU didnt need them) i phoned around to see if i could get any shorter ones with same thread size, like bloomin hell somone would have one but tried anyway.

so got the molegrips out and the hammer, the sensor is probably broken but i couldnt see, at the time, another way around it. End product very messy looking bodge job :lol:

170320071205.jpg

170320071206.jpg

got the power steering tubes wrapped up

170320071207.jpg

170320071208.jpg

Had some left over so wrapped other bits in that area just to keep them cool

170320071209.jpg

All back together

170320071210.jpg

This is need a bit of help with i need to add some vac hoses from the BOV to somewhere on the intake manifold.

180320071229.jpg

Im really not sure where it is but there is a little hole at the back, near the firewall

The next few photos are just around that area, if anyone knows where it needs to go let me know would be much appreciated

180320071230.jpg

180320071231.jpg

180320071232.jpg

In the end car didnt start due to no sparks (well i think) looks like next weekend could be a very annoying probelm solving one :(

erm, yes the sensor will be broken........................

thought so LoL will the car start if i just un clip it ? or does it need a signal to start ?

Anyone know where i can get smaller (in length) O2 sensors ???

thought so LoL will the car start if i just un clip it ? or does it need a signal to start ?

just chop the bonnet off....and the wing, that will give enough room :shifty:

just chop the bonnet off....and the wing, that will give enough room :shifty:

Pipe down son Lol when are u back do u have a date ????

I have just been reading back through your thread Elliot as I have been away from the PC over the weekend.

to say I am feeling pretty darn stupid now would be an understatement. :sick:

I did tell Elliot that the section needed cut out in order for the turbo to fit. I must stress though that although mine is the same, but it has a section welded back in, I was not the person who decided to do this to my own car. the turbo conversion was done for me.

If I had have known what I have just read in this post I would never at all have even considered letting this happen to my own car let alone someone elses.

I am truly sorry for this mis-information Elliot and hope that you can get it sorted. :crybaby:

I know that I will now be going back and looking at my own car to have this strengthened for my own piece of mind.

In light of this I also have to state that I have driven my car very hard with the turbo on and the chassis leg in it's current state and I have as yet had no problems whatsoever. The section that has been changed in mine is also slightly smaller than Elliots but it is to the same effect.

I am no mechanic and have no such qualifications. I just knew what was needed to enable the turbo to be fitted as it was to my own car. I have to re-stress that I did not know at the time what I do now and I genuinely do fell like a complete idiot.

Once again Elliot I sincerely apologise for this and I hope that my naivety has not caused any irrepairable damage.

I have just been reading back through your thread Elliot as I have been away from the PC over the weekend.

to say I am feeling pretty darn stupid now would be an understatement. :sick:

I did tell Elliot that the section needed cut out in order for the turbo to fit. I must stress though that although mine is the same, but it has a section welded back in, I was not the person who decided to do this to my own car. the turbo conversion was done for me.

If I had have known what I have just read in this post I would never at all have even considered letting this happen to my own car let alone someone elses.

I am truly sorry for this mis-information Elliot and hope that you can get it sorted. :crybaby:

I know that I will now be going back and looking at my own car to have this strengthened for my own piece of mind.

In light of this I also have to state that I have driven my car very hard with the turbo on and the chassis leg in it's current state and I have as yet had no problems whatsoever. The section that has been changed in mine is also slightly smaller than Elliots but it is to the same effect.

I am no mechanic and have no such qualifications. I just knew what was needed to enable the turbo to be fitted as it was to my own car. I have to re-stress that I did not know at the time what I do now and I genuinely do fell like a complete idiot.

Once again Elliot I sincerely apologise for this and I hope that my naivety has not caused any irrepairable damage.

No worries fella i knew what was involved when i bought it off u. Once its welded up im sure it will be fine. i dont think its just going to collapse drving down the road.

Just need to get the darn thing running now, only problem is the O2 sensors as u didnt need them, ive gotta some who work around then, which im a bit stumped at.

Also need to find where the vac hoses go still can find that bit u pointed out to me

The part for the vac hose is on the other side of the throttle body than what you have pictured. ie; the side that is furthest away from the engine itself.

If you look down between the throttle body and the fuse/relay box it should be down there. it should be a small black rubber vacuum hose you are looking for. If need be you could remove the throttle body itself as it is only 4 bolts and you will deffo see it then.

Yeah the leg won't collapse as you say but after reading this thread to date I would really be sure it gets welded. I still feel like a proper idiot and can only apologise again.

The part for the vac hose is on the other side of the throttle body than what you have pictured. ie; the side that is furthest away from the engine itself.

If you look down between the throttle body and the fuse/relay box it should be down there. it should be a small black rubber vacuum hose you are looking for. If need be you could remove the throttle body itself as it is only 4 bolts and you will deffo see it then.

Yeah the leg won't collapse as you say but after reading this thread to date I would really be sure it gets welded. I still feel like a proper idiot and can only apologise again.

Dont worry about it mate, live and learn. I have never taken anything on like this before and enjoying 99.9% of it (that little ***** bolt at the being ****** me off LOL)

You warned me i need to cut away part of the leg so theres nothing you've done wrong.

You've admitted that u didnt know the outcome in the last 2 posts and appolgised, your a cracking fella and a gent for doing so. Maybe some other ppl/companys on here could take a leaf out of your book.

Cheers elliot, much appreciated.

I know that whats happened has happened but never the less I still feel like a knob end after all is said and done.

I now also know how entertaining it is doing projects like this by yourself since doing the supra swap and how the smallest little thing can send you insane untill you eventually get it sorted. The states I have got myself into over something as silly as catching the wrong thread on a nut and bolt etc is ridiculous. Thats what makes it so fun though.

You know I am on the end of the phone anyway if you have anymore questions although I suspect you'd prob be better off double checking anything I tell you...LOLOLOLOL.

Cheers elliot, much appreciated.

I know that whats happened has happened but never the less I still feel like a knob end after all is said and done.

I now also know how entertaining it is doing projects like this by yourself since doing the supra swap and how the smallest little thing can send you insane untill you eventually get it sorted. The states I have got myself into over something as silly as catching the wrong thread on a nut and bolt etc is ridiculous. Thats what makes it so fun though.

You know I am on the end of the phone anyway if you have anymore questions although I suspect you'd prob be better off double checking anything I tell you...LOLOLOLOL.

Yup i think we're all crazy lol

Ok that vac hose i take it i just cut, put in T piece vac hose to BOV and the cut that and T piece to my boooooooost gauge ?? fingers crossed thats it.

Also im getting mixed views of where to put the EGT sensor, do i need before the turbo i.e. in the manifold or after i.e. down pipe ????

Cheers Fellas

I think I need to offer a strong disclaimer before I get torn to shreds, or worse someone does something that turns out to be insane.

I, too, am not a mechanic, and have no qualifications.

Now: As I see it, you have two O2 sensors, one of which can't possibly fit with the turbo there.

First idea I had was to offer up an extended pipe, which would be bent straight away, into the thread, and attach the O2 sensor at the end of this.

This was insane, I realised, since the O2 sensor needs to be in the path of the airflow. If it's in a channel coming off the exhaust pipe then the air wouldn't flow through, and you'd just get the initial air that was in their stuck from coming out because of the pressure of the exhaust air rushing past.

At most you might get minor intermixing of the air that's stuck and fresh air, but probably not.

Even if you did, you'd be removing some of what you need, which is a blast of exhaust to turn your turbine.

The second idea was based of your original images:

Why not keep those two sensor holes blanked off there.

Fit the O2 sensors later down the exhaust pipe, after the turbo.

The O2 mixture shouldn't (or I can't see anything that could catalyse such a change) change because of the air turning the turbine.

There's obviously no introduction of new air before/after that, since that would mean a leak, making it less powerful.

So re-introduce your O2 sensors in the down pipe after the turbo, and all should be well.

Can someone with more experience comment on the suggestion?

The practical application of it might prove quite easy, too, tbh.

There's also an advantage of less barriers for your exhaust before the turbo.

Just a suggestion, hope it isn't insane and I've made a wang of myself. :D

Oh, and a question:

Why's there two O2 sensors?

Are they identical?

If so, could the signal from one be split to both receivers and blank off only one of the two holes?

This might not work, because surely it wouldn't have two if it didn't need them...?

I think I need to offer a strong disclaimer before I get torn to shreds, or worse someone does something that turns out to be insane.

I, too, am not a mechanic, and have no qualifications.

Now: As I see it, you have two O2 sensors, one of which can't possibly fit with the turbo there.

First idea I had was to offer up an extended pipe, which would be bent straight away, into the thread, and attach the O2 sensor at the end of this.

This was insane, I realised, since the O2 sensor needs to be in the path of the airflow. If it's in a channel coming off the exhaust pipe then the air wouldn't flow through, and you'd just get the initial air that was in their stuck from coming out because of the pressure of the exhaust air rushing past.

At most you might get minor intermixing of the air that's stuck and fresh air, but probably not.

Even if you did, you'd be removing some of what you need, which is a blast of exhaust to turn your turbine.

The second idea was based of your original images:

Why not keep those two sensor holes blanked off there.

Fit the O2 sensors later down the exhaust pipe, after the turbo.

The O2 mixture shouldn't (or I can't see anything that could catalyse such a change) change because of the air turning the turbine.

There's obviously no introduction of new air before/after that, since that would mean a leak, making it less powerful.

So re-introduce your O2 sensors in the down pipe after the turbo, and all should be well.

Can someone with more experience comment on the suggestion?

The practical application of it might prove quite easy, too, tbh.

There's also an advantage of less barriers for your exhaust before the turbo.

Just a suggestion, hope it isn't insane and I've made a wang of myself. :D

Oh, and a question:

Are they identical?

If so, could the signal from one be split to both receivers and blank off only one of the two holes?

This might not work, because surely it wouldn't have two if it didn't need them...?

Sounds like a fair plan mate, i was thinking of doing the same but into the manifold, but down pipe would be better as not such a think bit of metal

Are they identical?

On the standard manifold it has 2, 02 sensors as their are 2 pipe's, each sensor after each pre-cat :D

Yes they are identical, only diff is length of wire on each sensor :D

Are u saying if i unplug 1 it may still work ????

Surely the ECU will still be wanting 2 signals ? or am i thinking to much in to it ??

Are they identical?

On the standard manifold it has 2, 02 sensors as their are 2 pipe's, each sensor after each pre-cat :D

Surely the ECU will still be wanting 2 signals ? or am i thinking to much in to it ??

No mate someone was asking why 2 sensors :question:

But you are right, the ecu will be looking for the 2 not just the 1 signal :D well 3, as you have another sensor near main cat :D

Are they identical?

No mate someone was asking why 2 sensors :question:

But you are right, the ecu will be looking for the 2 not just the 1 signal :D well 3, as you have another sensor near main cat :D

ahh sorry gord didnt see that bit. but sparkystav has a point if i blank one of and then cut into the wires from the one that fits and connect the wires from the other sensor would this maybe fool the ECU in to thinking there are 2 signals, even tho they would be the same ???

one at the back i need to get a tap and dye set and thread it in

Ellz you need to slow down a bit mate, you are keen to get "up and running", and I understand that, but you are starting to cut corners, this will just give you bigger grief down the road.

First off you need to get that hole sorted out then get the turbo to fit without chopping bits off the car! Everyone spends money on strut and chassis braces to stiffen things up, what you have now is the reverse, at worst dangerous and at best bad for handling.

You have 2 O2 sensors because of the way the manifold branches, one looks at the exhaust from 3 cylinders and the other at the other 3 if that makes sense. So they individually fine tune the mixture from a bank. Don't know for sure but if you combine the signal from one then you risk screwing the mixture. Also the ECU looks at a voltage from the sensor, don't know the electrical characteristics if the inputs to the ECU but doing that may alter the voltage over both inputs giving false readings to the ECU that won't throw a CEL but knock the mixture out.

May be miles off but my 2d worth.

Ellz you need to slow down a bit mate, you are keen to get "up and running", and I understand that, but you are starting to cut corners, this will just give you bigger grief down the road.

First off you need to get that hole sorted out then get the turbo to fit without chopping bits off the car! Everyone spends money on strut and chassis braces to stiffen things up, what you have now is the reverse, at worst dangerous and at best bad for handling.

You have 2 O2 sensors because of the way the manifold branches, one looks at the exhaust from 3 cylinders and the other at the other 3 if that makes sense. So they individually fine tune the mixture from a bank. Don't know for sure but if you combine the signal from one then you risk screwing the mixture. Also the ECU looks at a voltage from the sensor, don't know the electrical characteristics if the inputs to the ECU but doing that may alter the voltage over both inputs giving false readings to the ECU that won't throw a CEL but knock the mixture out.

May be miles off but my 2d worth.

Mate im not trying to cut corners its just the FCON needs stuff that Gav's ECU didnt so im trying to figure out ways to get around them. looks like im going to have to get the manifold drilled and ways just a bit of a pain in the arse as everything has to come off again.

The cutting of the leg i was aware of, even tho everyone is worried about the structual part of things, i no that TDi will be able to sort it out, thats why i didnt get the welder guy to do it as he advise a garage to do it.

The O2 sensor was a bit silly but didnt no that car wouldnt spark if one was broken. now looks like tap and dye the manifold is probably the best way.

The cars going to run like poo anyway until matt gets back and i can get his fuel system put on my car. then off to TDi so looking at around may june time when its finished. so lots of time to do it, just a pain in the arse when its silly little things that wont let me hear what she sounds like :tsktsk:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links