Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Speed Cameras

Tango

...what's this I see in todays Telegraph? More speed cameras demanded by a group of MP's? Which barmy group of MP's and how do we stop this? I thought it had been proven that excess speed contributed to something like 7% of accidents? :angry:

Guest inicol63

Hi guys lets all think how we can raise some money so we can let these poor MPs retire early with first class pension's..........

How about adding even more speed camera to our roads, this should do the trick.....

Sound like i am bitter !!!!!!!!!! you bet............

If the Govt were serious about reducing speed because of safety they would implement this LINKY TO EVSC REPORT, no money in that for them though.

EVSC is External Vehicle Speed Control and according to this it could be implemented by 2013 and it is technically possible.

If the Govt were serious about reducing speed because of safety they would implement this LINKY TO EVSC REPORT, no money in that for them though.

EVSC is External Vehicle Speed Control and according to this it could be implemented by 2013 and it is technically possible.

Interesting. Would be nice if the motorways were dynamically allocated more appropriate speeds though, seeing as they're the safest roads in the UK even though the vast majority of people exceed the 70mph limit on them. Foot to the floor all the way, with the EVSC setting the limit, get to a long straight stretch and wahey!!

Recent report stated that MPs weren't happy with Speed Cameras as it meant less police on patrol, so bad drivers (I.e. careless, untaxed/unlicenced etc) weren't caught. These are cause of far more road problems than Speeders, generally.They wanted less emphasis on cameras and more on PROPER police work.

Sideline.

Yesterday, Welsh rugby player got his 110mph charge penalty reduced 'because losing his licence would harm his CHARITY WORK!!!' So.....remember that one next time?

(Oh, and get a Radar detector, people!)

I think every road should have a speed camera !!

Ohhh... and they should be placed at the end of peoples driveways as well (far too many people reverse off their drive too quickly)

Could we also get them installed in playgrounds in schools and parks as I've seen a lot of children running about a bit too fast for my liking.

How about on the exit of revolving doors on supermarkets ??

Inside Multi Storey car parks would be agood idea as well. (You can't have people whizzing about with fully laden shopping trolleys you know)

Car washes is another area that the government have overlooked I think. Put a strategically placed camera on the exit of a car wash and you will get the odd over zealous driver pulling out at over 4mph !! (Oh and the photo will come out really well cos the number plate will be nice and clean)

Don't worry - All of the above could really happen folks if this looney governemnt could get away with it !!

The Ed

...... I thought it had been proven that excess speed contributed to something like 7% of accidents?

Autocar 11 October 2006 -- "It's not just speed that kills"

CONTRIBUTING FACTORS IN ROAD ACCIDENTS

-- Driver error or reaction 66%

Including

Failed to look properly 32%

Failed to judge other person's path or speed 18%

Poor turn or manoeuvre 15%

Loss of Control 14%

Sudden braking 7%

-- Injudicious Action -- 28%

Including:

Exceeding speed limit 5%

Too fast for conditions 12%

Following too close 7%

Disobeyed "Give Way" or "Stop" sign 4%

-- Behaviour or Inexperience 25%

Including

Careless, reckless, in a hurry 16%

Aggressive driving 4%

Inexperienced/learner driver 5%

-- Road environment contributed 15%

Including

Road layout 4%

Object or animal in road 1%

-- Pedestrian Only 13%

Including

Pedestrian failed to look properly 9%

Careless, reckless, in a hurry 3%

-- Impairment or Distraction 12%

Including

Impaired by alcohol 5%

Distraction in vehicle 2%

-- Vision affected 10%

Including

Affected by parked vehicle 3%

Affected by road layout 2%

-- Special codes 5%

Emergency vehicle on call 5%

-- Vehicle defects 2%

Including

Brakes 1%

Tyres 1%

Department for Transport report

There can be up to 6 contributory factors per incident.

Interesting quote from the DfT:

A DfT spokesman said: "Speed cameras are there to save lives and numerous studies have proved this. The fact that exceeding the speed limit is responsible for five per cent of crashes isn't the issue – speed is."

http://www.safespeed.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9620

http://www.metro.co.uk/home/article....6&in_page_id=1

/

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links