Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Trc On Or Off And Why...................

Ive been driving with mine on as that's the default what effect's will it have if I turn it off!!! :duh:

Depends on how 'heroic' a driver you are :D For normal driving I can't see any reason why you'd want to turn it off, it's a safety device well worth having. I turned it off on my old 200 and nearly lost it on a greasy roundabout so left it on from then onwards.

Strange thing on the 220d though, if you turn it off and large it on a slippy surface the car beeps (amazing, another beep :blink: ) and it seems to kick back in again - kind of makes the on/off button a bit redundant I reckon.

Strange thing on the 220d though, if you turn it off and large it on a slippy surface the car beeps (amazing, another beep :blink: ) and it seems to kick back in again - kind of makes the on/off button a bit redundant I reckon.

I think that is the VSC cutting in (although I think it has another name on the diesel).

The VSC on mine beeps when operating when I tested it on grass to see how good it is.

I turn it off when the roads are dry as it has a habit of kicking in when pulling out of junctions and dumbing down the throttle which isn't what i want at that moment...

I think if you have LSD then it's not that useful on a dry road, whereas when it's wet i leave it on just in case....

So am I right in thinking that the TRC affects accelaration? If so then im about to get brave! lol

lol, when the TRC kicks in, it cuts the power, try pulling away from lights quickly with it on, then try again with it off.

Remember if the back end starts to go, it'll be you that has to correct it, the car won't interupt.

My TRC is off most of the time, mainly because I hate the way it cuts in, it's either all or nothing, and if you want to make a quick getaway out of a junction, it can be rather dangerous IMO, with the way it cuts the power.

I also like to practise getting my arse out at a few choice junctions :whistling:

always off.

tried it once in the wet and i almost didn't get out from a junction as little slip light was on and cut alot of power.

with the tc off i never spin up from the same junction, so since then its always off, its nature now that when i start the car up i then turn the tc off.

always off.

tried it once in the wet and i almost didn't get out from a junction as little slip light was on and cut alot of power.

with the tc off i never spin up from the same junction, so since then its always off, its nature now that when i start the car up i then turn the tc off.

That sounds odd to me. You obviously have the skill to control the throttle so that the car accelerates hard out the wet junction without much wheelspin. What's odd is that the traction contol shouldn't be cutting in so early - are you sure it's actually working properly?

Mine cuts in from time to time if I give it a clumsy bootful of gas in the same situation, but basically just sits there watching and waiting the rest of the time so I leave it on.

Maybe you should have it checked?

Mike

always off.

That sounds odd to me. You obviously have the skill to control the throttle so that the car accelerates hard out the wet junction without much wheelspin. What's odd is that the traction contol shouldn't be cutting in so early - are you sure it's actually working properly?

Mine cuts in from time to time if I give it a clumsy bootful of gas in the same situation, but basically just sits there watching and waiting the rest of the time so I leave it on.

Mike

Yours is an auto though mike, the gearbox and driving characteristics will be different from a manual.

It doesn't take much practise to control the throttle in the wet on junctions tbh, you have far more control over the car with the TRC off IMO!

Oh, and a standard IS200 doesn't have enough power to spin the wheels anyway! :P

Feels much better with it off to be honest I havent booted it round a corner yet just in case :blink: But feels quicker out of a junction! I only had the car a couple of months and just love the sound of the engine when it's over 5000Rpm also I need to get some OIL what ones are you guys using?

always off.

Mike

Yours is an auto though mike, the gearbox and driving characteristics will be different from a manual.

It doesn't take much practise to control the throttle in the wet on junctions tbh, you have far more control over the car with the TRC off IMO!

Oh, and a standard IS200 doesn't have enough power to spin the wheels anyway! :P

lol :lol:

TRC is a fairly simple feature imho.

If you start to lose traction, the ECU cuts power to your wheels.

Simple.

D.

Yep, it is pretty damn crude!

I wouldn't rely on it too much! The back will still step out on you in the wet if your pushing too hard, regardless if the TRC is on or off!

The salesman at Lexus Wolverhampton told me that even if you switch off the traction control, it automatically comes back on at over 30 mph. If true, this might explain some of the posts here.

In any case, I like my car too much to risk turning it off, I am not "The Stig" after all !!!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links