Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Help Putting Togheter A Turbokit For Is200.

Hi all.

Like the topic said i need help to find a kit that i can use. It will cost to much to import it to where i live wich is Norway becuse of the size,weight and our taxes and customs. Could some one who has a kit give me detailed info on what it is inside this kit. Everything from size an brand etc. That woud be a great help. Than i can get bits and peaces here and there since i dont have that much of cash right now.

what else is needed besides this kit :unsure:

Oz.

Hi all.

Like the topic said i need help to find a kit that i can use. It will cost to much to import it to where i live wich is Norway becuse of the size,weight and our taxes and customs. Could some one who has a kit give me detailed info on what it is inside this kit. Everything from size an brand etc. That woud be a great help. Than i can get bits and peaces here and there since i dont have that much of cash right now.

what else is needed besides this kit :unsure:

Oz.

Hi Oz, and welcome to the Club!

As far as I know, there's only one "bolt-on" turbo-kit available for IS200 (the one from www.turbo-kits.com), and even that isn't truly a "bolt-on job" contrary to what the name suggests... :crybaby:

All the guys here at the forum, including myself, who have turboed their IS' have done it more or less themselves, or had it done in some professional garage.

I suggest that you contact some of your local garages, and ask them for a quote for the job. Of course the more you manage to do yourself, helps to keep the costs down. I did all the turbo piping myself. The donor for my turbos was an Audi 2,7T, and then I've collected other bits and bobs from here and there, as most of the guys here.

If you don't have a comrehensive understanding what is needed to undergo such a massive conversion, I'd leave to professionals. At the end of the day that saves you time, money and nerves.

And for example the choise of the turbo charger itself, isn't just a case "the bigger the better". The choise depends on what you're after (over-all driveability, high top-end grunt, low rev torque, etc) and how much you can spend on the project.

But all in all, you need at least these:

- turbo(s)

- turbo manifold

- turbo piping

- down pipe

- intercooler

- air filter

- dump valve / blow off valve

- bigger injectors / extra injector(s)

- piggy-back ecu / stand-alone ecu

- possibly modifications to the fuel system (pump, return line...)

In addition, you might want to concider (depending what you're after) forged internals, as seen HERE.

And you mustn't overlook the importance of correctly dyno-tuning and mapping the ecu after the installation. Also keep in mind (or find out) your local laws and regulations, if you're ever planning to keep your car street legal.

Hope this helps,

Sami

EDIT:

You might wanna check THIS SECTION of the forum, and have a look at least the topics posted by Adie, Ellz, RoadRash and myself. We (among others) have gone the turbo route. After reading if any further questions should arise, don't hesitate to ask on this forum, or send a PM.

Thank you for the information Sami :)

It is these things that was bothering me. Do you have information on type or brand off these things?

I have two twin turbos and thought i could use one of these. but these where sitting on a Jaguar S-type 2.7D

and they have electronic actuators. I also have one thats without.

I am not dreaming off speed of sound, i guess everything over 200HP would give the car the little extra that it misses without me breaking my engine.

Oz.

Thank you for the information Sami :)

It is these things that was bothering me. Do you have information on type or brand off these things?

I have two twin turbos and thought i could use one of these. but these where sitting on a Jaguar S-type 2.7D

and they have electronic actuators. I also have one thats without.

I am not dreaming off speed of sound, i guess everything over 200HP would give the car the little extra that it misses without me breaking my engine.

Oz.

The brand of the injectors isn't important, as long as they fit. There's such a huge selection of injectors available, that you have to do some research on your own. There ARE others, but the only ones which are physically a "straight-fit", are the ones from Toyota Supra MKIII 7M-GE engine. They are (if I remember right) 330cc, while the IS200 standard injectors are ~220cc. BUT, the Supra injectors are LOW impedance (~4Ohm), while the IS200's are HIGH impedance (13Ohm), so you would have to use ~10Ohm resistors with the Supra injectors, or you're going to end up frying your original ECU.

I would recommend that you pay a visit to some of your local professional garages, and bring one original injector with you as a model. And it would also be wise and safest to choose an injector with HIGH impedance. Depending of the (piggyback or stand-alone) ECU you choose, something between 300cc - 400cc would be a good size for the injectors.

Or you can do what I did, leave the original injectors as they are, and use an extra injector(s). But your chosen ECU has to support this feature.

What comes to the ECU, that's the tricky one... If you ask around, the best ECU is always the one that the person you ask from is using... :yawn: They all have their pros and cons, and you have to make your decision based on what you're after, whether you want to stay street legal (find out your local laws and regulations!) and your budget.

It surely ain't the best, but because of my local laws and regulations I couldn't go for a stand-alone ECU (I wanted to stay street legal), I chose Greddy eManage Ultimate piggy-back, and so far have been happy with it.

Hope this helps,

Sami

EDIT:

Oh, and I would use a turbo with mechanical (internal) wastegate (if that's what you meant by "actuator"). The opening pressure for the wastegate should be something like 0.4bar, because without forged internals you wouldn't want to use high boost pressures anyway. You can always up the boost pressure with boost controller, but you can not use lower pressure than that of the wastegate's opening pressure.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Sami.

Thanx for the info, i am sorry i was away in a course and did not have the time to reply.

Can u explain one more thing for me?

On the Jaguar S-Type there are two turbo`s(Garret) wich have electronic actuators(no Wastegate) that controlles the flow. If i put this actuator arm to wide open and weld it and then use an external wastegate, is this possible???

On the Jaguar S-Type there are two turbo`s(Garret) wich have electronic actuators(no Wastegate) that controlles the flow. If i put this actuator arm to wide open and weld it and then use an external wastegate, is this possible???

I'm a bit confused... When u say "no wastegate", do u mean there is no (internal)wastegate at all on the turbo(s)? Or do you mean that there is a wastegate but that the wastegate isn't electronic, but the actuator is?

If the turbos have actuators, it must mean that they also have wastegates, 'cause that's what actuators do: control wastegate.

It would be too complicated to try to control the electronic actuators, so what you can do, is to replace these electronic actuators with a generic pneumatic actuators, which can then in turn be controlled by a boost controller. No need to weld those and use an external wastegate. I suggest you find actuators with relatively low opening pressure, say, 0.4bar. Because you can always use higher boost with the boost controller, but not lower than the actuators opening pressure. And with std internals you would want to keep the boost down. Trust me, I know what I'm talking about... :lol:

But I think the main question here is, that are those turbos from gasoline or diesel engine, and/or are they VNT (Variable Nozzle Turbines) turbos often used in modern turbo-diesel applications? This kind of turbos have a sort of internal "wing", which is kind of like VVT-i and it varies the turbos geometry and how the inlet air is directed towards the turbine wheel.

(at this point, I had a little pause writing this, and I just got it! :shifty: )

I bet they are these VNT turbos from a diesel engine! That's what the electronic actuators are there for! If and when they are VNT turbos, DO NOT use them in gasoline engine! Because the exhaust temperatures are much higher in gasoline engines than they are in diesel engines, the heat will destroy the "wing" and maybe the turbine wheel as well. Although there is no doubt about the positive effect of this sort of mechanism to the turbos efficiency, the heat is the reason why it is not yet implemented in gasoline engines. As soon as engineers come up with materials that are heat-resistant enough, I'm sure "variable geometry" turbos will come also to gasoline engines. But today isn't that day... :crybaby:

I suggest you sell those and get yourself a decent pair of "normal" turbos from/to a gasoline engine.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: Before someone else posts, I'll add that, yes, Porsche is soon (or maybe it has already?) going to introduce (world's first?) gasoline engine with variable geometry turbo. But I wouldn't even want to try imagine the price tag on that... :duh:

EDIT #2: And HERE is how VNT turbo works, if someone is interested.

I'm a bit confused... When u say "no wastegate", do u mean there is no (internal)wastegate at all on the turbo(s)? Or do you mean that there is a wastegate but that the wastegate isn't electronic, but the actuator is?

If the turbos have actuators, it must mean that they also have wastegates, 'cause that's what actuators do: control wastegate.

It would be too complicated to try to control the electronic actuators, so what you can do, is to replace these electronic actuators with a generic pneumatic actuators, which can then in turn be controlled by a boost controller. No need to weld those and use an external wastegate. I suggest you find actuators with relatively low opening pressure, say, 0.4bar. Because you can always use higher boost with the boost controller, but not lower than the actuators opening pressure. And with std internals you would want to keep the boost down. Trust me, I know what I'm talking about... :lol:

But I think the main question here is, that are those turbos from gasoline or diesel engine, and/or are they VNT (Variable Nozzle Turbines) turbos often used in modern turbo-diesel applications? This kind of turbos have a sort of internal "wing", which is kind of like VVT-i and it varies the turbos geometry and how the inlet air is directed towards the turbine wheel.

(at this point, I had a little pause writing this, and I just got it! :shifty: )

I bet they are these VNT turbos from a diesel engine! That's what the electronic actuators are there for! If and when they are VNT turbos, DO NOT use them in gasoline engine! Because the exhaust temperatures are much higher in gasoline engines than they are in diesel engines, the heat will destroy the "wing" and maybe the turbine wheel as well. Although there is no doubt about the positive effect of this sort of mechanism to the turbos efficiency, the heat is the reason why it is not yet implemented in gasoline engines. As soon as engineers come up with materials that are heat-resistant enough, I'm sure "variable geometry" turbos will come also to gasoline engines. But today isn't that day... :crybaby:

I suggest you sell those and get yourself a decent pair of "normal" turbos from/to a gasoline engine.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: Before someone else posts, I'll add that, yes, Porsche is soon (or maybe it has already?) going to introduce (world's first?) gasoline engine with variable geometry turbo. But I wouldn't even want to try imagine the price tag on that... :duh:

EDIT #2: And HERE is how VNT turbo works, if someone is interested.

Thats the answer i was looking for:P

Yes these are VNT turbos from a diesel engine (Jaguar S-Type 2.7D) I will then no longer "waste" anyones time buy asking if there is a possibilty to use these, now that i see what you mean :)

Thank you all for your anwers i learned a lot.

Many thanks again

Kindly

Oz

Thats the answer i was looking for:P

Yes these are VNT turbos from a diesel engine (Jaguar S-Type 2.7D) I will then no longer "waste" anyones time buy asking if there is a possibilty to use these, now that i see what you mean :)

Thank you all for your anwers i learned a lot.

Good if you found it helpful. Adie has a turbo kit for sale, drop him a PM... :winky:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links