Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi I have searched the gs300 thread and have not found much information on mk1 gs300 MOT issues/ problems. I am posting as I myself will be sending off my mk1 sport off for its mot soon and wonder if owners have come across mot testers tryig it on as a way of trying you to stump up some more cash.

I trust my local garage to a degree, thay have always looked after my other cars but other forum members may not be in that position and I thought a gs300 post on this issue may highlight some common things to look out for or "tricks of the trade" that garages do to grab our cash un-necessarily!

All I could think of is break wear /vibration or trying to fail you on tyre wear when tyres are not actually illegal yet. there may be uneven ware on many GS300's and its something to look out for but has anyone else had any difficult experiences come MOT time? Let us know. :)

Hi, I put my MK1 300 Sport in last Saturday - and it failed!!

I have two worn tyres that need replacing which i know is true anyway.

Its not a place i've used often and they spent about an hour going over the whole car.. I know this cos i waited and read through 2 magazines in the time.

Anyway i thought he was gonna come back with a list of problems but everything else was A-O-K.

Trouble is I cannot find any new tyres!!

I need one for the front - Pirelli P-Zero Rosso 245 40 R18

And one at the rear - Pirelli P-Zero Rosso 275 35 R18

I have tried a number of local garages who have contacted their distributors but nobody has the Rear available.

I've even been on to Pirelli UK who have told me there is a back order and they're not expecting any delivery till about FEB 2007!

I cant use the car as without the tax and MOT im not insured..

Can anyone Help with where i can find one of these Rear tyres. I dont want to start putting other manufactures on and have odd tyres.

They other are only a couple of months old so i'm not changing all 4.

Help would be much appreciated!!

Hi

Not much ever seems to go wrong with the Mk1 GS so long as it gets regular tlc and you keep up with general maintenance.

I have had mine four years now and all that has ever needed doing for the MOT is replacing the odd bulb, usually the rear bumper licence plate lamp that for some reason I tend to miss when doing a pre-check.

As far as general maintenance is concerned all I have had to replace is brake pads, a Battery, the starter motor (common problem with GS), tyres (rears wear so quick), oh and bottom suspension arms but that was at my choosing.

You will be fine!

I've even been on to Pirelli UK who have told me there is a back order and they're not expecting any delivery till about FEB 2007!

Can anyone Help with where i can find one of these Rear tyres. I dont want to start putting other manufactures on and have odd tyres.

A couple of things here concern me, if the tyres are only a couple of months old how has one worn to the extent of being below the legal limit ? and how close are the others ?

If you can't get a Pirelli Zero then either don't use the car or compromise with a pair of cheap tyres until they are available. remember you are going to get hit with a full re test fee if you don't get it back soon.

Its not a place i've used often and they spent about an hour going over the whole car.. I know this cos i waited and read through 2 magazines in the time.

Anyway i thought he was gonna come back with a list of problems but everything else was A-O-K.

I have tried a number of local garages who have contacted their distributors but nobody has the Rear available.

Why not buy a some secondhand wheels with tyres to buy you some time??? Probably cheaper than the 2 tyres your after aswell

Why not buy a some secondhand wheels with tyres to buy you some time??? Probably cheaper than the 2 tyres your after aswell

Tyres are always a big thing that I take my time to think about, thats all between you the car and the road right! This time of year can be a slippy one too so if you dont get the alignment right or have safe tread and tyre pressures you can get caught out. Its coming up to christmas and everyone knows that right! but saving a few quid here helps at this time of year, but it could cost you big time if you dont take care. I know its a different car but I know of a few 300zx owners who have got caught out this time of year on bends and roundabouts in their auto cars. My Z is now being sold but I have been so conscious to look after my gs300 I am saving up for TC. All I can say is I know its a 10 year old car now but thats money well spent to me as it took me long enough to find a mk1 sport in the colour I wanted with all the history and low mileage that I want so I try to look after it.

I have had a nasty experience in the past when I was younger racing and messing around on a quiet road in a storm and believe me once you lose it just one time and go through a fence someones garden and end up wedging the car between two massive boulders it shakes you up a bit but it teaches you a lesson! With these cars aswell it seems like a lot of insurance companies are happy to write them off with little damage coz the parts are so expensive from Lexus. Sorry to go on but ifthis just helps one member. Dont forget safety first this time of year and make sure you enjoy christmas! :)

You'll get hit with a re-test as soon as you drive it away from the MOT garage,its only no charge if the car is left there for them to fix and put right what it failed on.

Not where I go, most places do but my man is very reasonable.

I know exactly where to get hold of pirelli p-zero rosso 275/35 zr18 95Y's (mercedes only fitment ones since thats the only people they are made for according to burton pirelli distribution centre) I'm suprised you have rosso's on the front aswell, I only have them on the back, got normal P-zero assymetrico's on the front... anyway, try Inner Ring tyres in Derby, they have found some for me on several occasions when everyone else couldn't, oh bar one other place in nottingham who wanted £260 for one because they knew no-one else had them...

Inner Ring Tyres & Wheels

01332 345515 (ask for Ian)

They had two spares in stock when I last bought one, as they got three from abroad at the same time they ordered one for me, so chances are they may still have one. If not they'll track some down in europe. They were £195 not sure if they can courier one to you or not, you might have to fetch it :(

Paul

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links