Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Aristo Vertex? Skyline Gtr R33 Or Evo 7?

mark_cardiff

I've been looking around for a new car.. when i say new, i mean a used car, but new for me!

I've narrowed it down to an Aristo which has had a couple tweeks... a Skyline GTR R33, again with a couple mods or a stock Mitsu Evo 7.

What do you guys reckon?? Dont really need 4 doors... so im finding it hard to decide....

Any of you had experience with Skylines or Evo's? Good vs bad??

Thanks.

I've tried them all, and I've got to say the Aristo Vertex TT MK2 is the most practical car for luxury as well as performance I've driven - and as an "old bloke" that tends to change cars every couple of years I've been through a lot !! Also it is an ideal family car with a good size boot. It is the only car I've had that I would buy the same model again next time.

OK it is not as good a handling car as some of the others "sports" specific vehicles - but it is unlikely to get stolen by joy-riders over the others, and you can leave it parked in most places without fear of someone getting jealous and scratching the paintwork.

The Aristo is an easy car to modify and up-grade, and parts are relatively low cost. Try to buy one as much of a stock car as possible (without mods), as this usually means it has not been thrashed. Also critical to get full dealer service history with any performance car.

For me it is a perfect solution - family car, sports performance, comfy, etc, with the bonus that it can give most "sports cars" a good run for their money. Make a tick list for everything you want in a car, and then be practical and list everything you need in a car - then compare the differences in the cars you are looking at.

The Aristo is probably also the safest car to have a crash in - you won't walk away from many cars after a 140mph+ head on accident (which my family did in a GS300, which is the same body gear).

Happy shopping!!

to be honest, it all depends on whether you intend to take the car on track days, and what levels of luxury, comfort and specification you are after.

The evo7 is probably the closest out of the 3 to being a street racer with little in the way of comfort or spec as it's all about going from A to B as quickly as possible

The R33 is less street racer, and a bit more comfy than the evo, but pretty sharp in terms of performance and handling, plus it's a 2 door

The V300 Vertex is takes the attributes of the GS300 (comfy, sorta luxurious, good spec, well built, quiet) and adds straight line performance to the mix, albeit without having sportscar levels of handling

Personally, I would choose the R33 is you want a REAL sports car every day, or the Aristo if you want sports car levels of performance but spend a lot of time stuck in traffic!

By the way, the Aristo can be made to handle quite well by adding coilovers, sways, chassis braces, uprated bushes.

I think if I was looking at practicality, then yeh, the Aristo wins hands down. However, i'm 24... with no kids or family to worry about.

The aristo that i'm considering is my mates, who he has done up as a show car, so I know he hasn't thrashed it.

I'm actually leaning more to the Skyline of the Evo 7, just because they are more of a focussed performance car... although, if anyone has any bad pointers on them, then i'd happily listen!

to be honest, it all depends on whether you intend to take the car on track days, and what levels of luxury, comfort and specification you are after.

The evo7 is probably the closest out of the 3 to being a street racer with little in the way of comfort or spec as it's all about going from A to B as quickly as possible

The R33 is less street racer, and a bit more comfy than the evo, but pretty sharp in terms of performance and handling, plus it's a 2 door

The V300 Vertex is takes the attributes of the GS300 (comfy, sorta luxurious, good spec, well built, quiet) and adds straight line performance to the mix, albeit without having sportscar levels of handling

Personally, I would choose the R33 is you want a REAL sports car every day, or the Aristo if you want sports car levels of performance but spend a lot of time stuck in traffic!

By the way, the Aristo can be made to handle quite well by adding coilovers, sways, chassis braces, uprated bushes.

Well, i live in hong kong, so there is ALWAYS traffic.... but... ill be only using the car on weekends, or at night... cos for me... its much more conveniant and cheaper to jump in a cab to work.

Most cars can be made to handle quite well by adding coilovers, ARB's etc... but... hmm... decisions. I was also actually looking at a RX-8... but....havent seen any decent ones in the classifieds over here..

arrghh...

the aristo is so quiet and smooth, that's the one that's most dangerous as you are likely to find yourself way over the limit without noticing..

if the aristo feels a bit like an old man's car, then go for the skyline...

Back in my youth! It would definitely be

1st. Skyline

2nd.Evo

3rd. Aristo

Like (Goodoldgrandad) says the Aristo is the wolf in sheeps clothing. The saloon that kills you at the traffic lights!

If this is an old man's car then I'm glad I'm an old bloke at last!! :D

Either way you're not going to do much thrashing on open roads in Hong Kong I guess, so it's whether you want to pose or be comfy in the traffic jams. If you were sensible you would keep to the taxis and the Star Ferry !!

From a practical aspect the Aristo is the cheapest and most reliable car in my opinion to servcie and keep on the road. So consider the running, insurance, and repair costs as well as the initial buying costs and residual value - unless you have deep pockets I think you may soon get fed up of the other cars on the list (I did).

At the end of the day it's all a matter of personal choice - so do your home work and have some test drives in them ALL before you decide.

The evo would not compare to the skyline so i would take the evo out of the equasion altogether.

Then you just have to ask yourself if you prefer a bit more luxury, bigger car, cruising car etc etc or would you rather go to track days, drags and not mind the extra noise a drivability of the skyline?

Don't buy an evo!!!!

If this is an old man's car then I'm glad I'm an old bloke at last!! :D

Either way you're not going to do much thrashing on open roads in Hong Kong I guess, so it's whether you want to pose or be comfy in the traffic jams. If you were sensible you would keep to the taxis and the Star Ferry !!

From a practical aspect the Aristo is the cheapest and most reliable car in my opinion to servcie and keep on the road. So consider the running, insurance, and repair costs as well as the initial buying costs and residual value - unless you have deep pockets I think you may soon get fed up of the other cars on the list (I did).

At the end of the day it's all a matter of personal choice - so do your home work and have some test drives in them ALL before you decide.

The Aristo would be my choice now I'm 52 :D

Try to buy one as much of a stock car as possible (without mods), as this usually means it has not been thrashed.

So people don't 'thrash' standard cars?? Personally think that's bit of a myth.

Also critical to get full dealer service history with any performance car.

I'd much prefer to see a history from a garage that knows about the vehicle. For example, the 2JZ-GTE engine was only available for 4 years in this country. I doubt there's many Toyota mechanics that have worked on it.

The Aristo isn't really in the same category as the EVO or Skyline.

The Aristo is a big fat luxury car, with a supercar engine.

Skyline----mondeo of the jap world, although the GTR is quite a looker, and defintely a goer.

Evo----point to point car

As someone said, make a list, then tick the boxes.

Try to buy one as much of a stock car as possible (without mods), as this usually means it has not been thrashed.

So people don't 'thrash' standard cars?? Personally think that's bit of a myth.

Also critical to get full dealer service history with any performance car.

I'd much prefer to see a history from a garage that knows about the vehicle. For example, the 2JZ-GTE engine was only available for 4 years in this country. I doubt there's many Toyota mechanics that have worked on it.

The Aristo isn't really in the same category as the EVO or Skyline.

The Aristo is a big fat luxury car, with a supercar engine.

Skyline----mondeo of the jap world, although the GTR is quite a looker, and defintely a goer.

Evo----point to point car

As someone said, make a list, then tick the boxes.

Skyine? Mondeo of the jap world?? what....?? Mondeo's are boring and not really performance cars... Skylines are turbo charged with 280 - 320bhp... hmm

In terms of pricing, all the cars are very similarly priced... at least in hong kong anyways...

Thinking about it.... i think the evo is not really for me... the more i look at it, the more i dont like the looks...

I think ill have to wait till the new year anwyays before deciding on anything as Im just too busy with work right now!

Does anyone know the main probs with Skylines?? Anything i should look out for?

I'm 23 (bought when 21) and I'm driving an Aristo so that makes me an old man too (hehe).

It's really a matter of priority.

In terms of handling the cars are:

1) Evo

2) Skyline GT-R

3) Aristo

Ride Quality:

1) Aristo

2) Skyline GT-R

3) Evo

Reliability:

1) Aristo

2) Skyline GT-R/Evo TIE

Stock Performance based on power/weight ratio:

1) Evo

2) Skyline GT-R

3) Aristo

That's all I can think of right now.

I picked up an Aristo mostly due to it being a motorway cruiser and sleeper. ALOT of people actually think it's a stock GS300 with "import badges" on the car until they try and "race" on the motorway or from lights. Ride quality is excellent as well as typical Toyota reliability. Stock engine can handle anywhere between 600bhp for VVTi and 800bhp for NON-VVTi (VVTi has weaker/thinner rods than NON-VVTi). Gearbox can handle 500bhp, but anything more and you'll either have to rebuild the gearbox every several thousand miles or upgrade to a TH400 or similar to handle the power.

If I had to do it again, I'd pick the Aristo again. Car gets a LOT of attention from people especially after the "wheels" and especially when the car leaves people in the dust. I get asked LOTS of questions on it...;). It's rare (over here anyway), not alot of people know what it is, hence keeping all the "haters" at bay (as someone else said before).

Also a Aristo doesn't necessarily bring in an "old man" image...as long as the car has some nice clean modifications done in terms of aesthetics. Wheels, lowered, grille, tints, etc all just change the whole "view" people may have about the car. A 3 piece Spoiler (JP lookalike Erebuni) and retrofit on headlights with a front lip and rear lip and side skirts will completely transform the looks of the car. It'll definitely make it look like a sport executive saloon, with a few modifications performance wise, will also give it the power to back those looks.

Me and Maneesh can definitely attest to "attention" grabbing fact. Me having just wheels and no lowered suspension (as of yet) and 6000k HID's gets me more attention that the typical Skyline or Evo will get (as they are a dime a dozen so to speak). Maneesh having wheels, lowered, TTE front lip, tints, etc.

I'm 23 (bought when 21) and I'm driving an Aristo so that makes me an old man too (hehe).

1) Evo

2) Skyline GT-R

3) Aristo

Ride Quality:

1) Aristo

2) Skyline GT-R

3) Evo

Reliability:

1) Aristo

2) Skyline GT-R/Evo TIE

1) Evo

2) Skyline GT-R

3) Aristo

I picked up an Aristo mostly due to it being a motorway cruiser and sleeper. ALOT of people actually think it's a stock GS300 with "import badges" on the car until they try and "race" on the motorway or from lights. Ride quality is excellent as well as typical Toyota reliability. Stock engine can handle anywhere between 600bhp for VVTi and 800bhp for NON-VVTi (VVTi has weaker/thinner rods than NON-VVTi). Gearbox can handle 500bhp, but anything more and you'll either have to rebuild the gearbox every several thousand miles or upgrade to a TH400 or similar to handle the power.

If I had to do it again, I'd pick the Aristo again. Car gets a LOT of attention from people especially after the "wheels" and especially when the car leaves people in the dust. I get asked LOTS of questions on it...;). It's rare (over here anyway), not alot of people know what it is, hence keeping all the "haters" at bay (as someone else said before).

Also a Aristo doesn't necessarily bring in an "old man" image...as long as the car has some nice clean modifications done in terms of aesthetics. Wheels, lowered, grille, tints, etc all just change the whole "view" people may have about the car. A 3 piece Spoiler (JP lookalike Erebuni) and retrofit on headlights with a front lip and rear lip and side skirts will completely transform the looks of the car. It'll definitely make it look like a sport executive saloon, with a few modifications performance wise, will also give it the power to back those looks.

Me and Maneesh can definitely attest to "attention" grabbing fact. Me having just wheels and no lowered suspension (as of yet) and 6000k HID's gets me more attention that the typical Skyline or Evo will get (as they are a dime a dozen so to speak). Maneesh having wheels, lowered, TTE front lip, tints, etc.

You are right... a few mods can make the aristo look very good...

However...there are just as many Aristo's, GTR's, Imprezas, Evo's and Altezzas in HK.. so in terms of being a bit different... it will be quite hard.

If my mate is going to sell his Aristo off for a couple thousand quid cheaper, then id defintely consider buying his. Has a nice subtle bodykit on...nice big 20' chromes....awesome sound system... think he spent over 10,000 pounds on the ICE alone...

Hi Mark,

I'm also an Aristo MKII owner in HKG. Frankly speaking it is not equal to old man when you are driving this model in HKG, especially a lot of people here have mod them.

When you are buying it here, it is better to be careful on choosing a right dealer, as some of them are not well maintained. For a car with 5+ years old (which most commonly available in the second hard market), you have to think about the maintainence.

Again for the gas price in HKG, I've to pay about HKD2.30/Km, and GTR or EVO costs more than this figures (as you are not able to control your right leg when you ride on it, it at least apply for me).

1) Evo

2) Skyline GT-R

3) Aristo

Ride Quality:

1) Aristo

2) Skyline GT-R

3) Evo

Reliability:

1) Aristo

2) Skyline GT-R/Evo TIE

1) Evo

2) Skyline GT-R

3) Aristo

However...there are just as many Aristo's, GTR's, Imprezas, Evo's and Altezzas in HK.. so in terms of being a bit different... it will be quite hard.

If my mate is going to sell his Aristo off for a couple thousand quid cheaper, then id defintely consider buying his. Has a nice subtle bodykit on...nice big 20' chromes....awesome sound system... think he spent over 10,000 pounds on the ICE alone...

Hi Mark, this aristo you are talking about is it the black one at North Point? cause me and my relative (also aristo driver) went to see it ....very very nice. Since it belongs to your mate I think you should take some photos and show it to the club members.

1) Evo

2) Skyline GT-R

3) Aristo

Ride Quality:

1) Aristo

2) Skyline GT-R

3) Evo

Reliability:

1) Aristo

2) Skyline GT-R/Evo TIE

1) Evo

2) Skyline GT-R

3) Aristo

Hi Mark, this aristo you are talking about is it the black one at North Point? cause me and my relative (also aristo driver) went to see it ....very very nice. Since it belongs to your mate I think you should take some photos and show it to the club members.

Yeh its that one... its usually in the Encrust Customs garage in North Point... I've been waiting for pictures off him for quite some time... but he still hasnt sent them

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Mark, Happy New Year! So have you decided which you are going to buy? because the owner of the black aristo has lowered his asking price to HK$168,000. (www.28car.com N0. s148329)

1) Evo

2) Skyline GT-R

3) Aristo

Ride Quality:

1) Aristo

2) Skyline GT-R

3) Evo

Reliability:

1) Aristo

2) Skyline GT-R/Evo TIE

1) Evo

2) Skyline GT-R

3) Aristo

Yeh its that one... its usually in the Encrust Customs garage in North Point... I've been waiting for pictures off him for quite some time... but he still hasnt sent them

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links