Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Key Fob

DensLex

Im sure that loads of people have asked this question but i have come across a stumbling block with my keys, they chap i brought the car from did give me 3 keys which i thought was cool, but only one works and that happens to be the one without the buttons on it.

Any ideas how i can find out if its a 3 button or 2 button fob?

Ive found somewhere they can cut a fob and then program it i guess.

Help as always is greatly recd

Den

x

What do you mean "the only one that works is the one that doesn't have the buttons on it?" :blink:

What I mean is that I have one key and it doesnt have any buttons on it at all to open remotely or close or activate the alarm, boot (it it works with my model).

I have to lock all the doors etc with the key.

Have I explained it better?

Oh I see, sorry didn't mean to sound like a complete moron but my Lexus didn't come with a key with no buttons on it ;)

So the other two keys, are they the proper ones with the buttons? As in does it look like this?

e88a_1.JPG

when you press the buttons on the other keys - does a small LED light up? if not maybe the batteries are just dead and you need to change them.

Sorry, the key I have doesnt have any buttons or anything. I dont have anymore keys just one.

What I am looking for is to buy a key with the button on like in the picture Parthiban showed.

But im worried i may buy the wrong thing. the main reason is to have a spare as havent got one

I'd guess the key you've got has a grey plastic part rather than the black in the picture above?

If so that's the 'parking attendent' key, as in it'll open the door and start the car but not open the boot or glove box.

So if you have one of those it's almost certainly a dealre visit to source a proper full access key.

I'd guess the key you've got has a grey plastic part rather than the black in the picture above?

If so that's the 'parking attendent' key, as in it'll open the door and start the car but not open the boot or glove box.

So if you have one of those it's almost certainly a dealre visit to source a proper full access key.

Sounds like it. My grey key has buttons for the doors but not the boot, but mine is a post-2001 SE-spec car so maybe the valet key is different to earlier or S-spec cars?

DensLex - you said in your first post that you had 3 keys, but that only one works. Do the other two not even fit the locks? Do they have buttons on, which don't work? Does the pattern on the shank look like the same as on the grey key which does work?

They could be completely the wrong keys if the pattern is different - in which case go back to your dealer (assuming this is a recent purchase that is). They may have the correct keys sitting in the key cupboard somewhere. But if not, I'm sorry to say, things might get very expensive as without a working master key you can't cut/program others to suit your locks and ignition.

Mike

Sounds like it. My grey key has buttons for the doors but not the boot, but mine is a post-2001 SE-spec car so maybe the valet key is different to earlier or S-spec cars?

DensLex - you said in your first post that you had 3 keys, but that only one works. Do the other two not even fit the locks? Do they have buttons on, which don't work? Does the pattern on the shank look like the same as on the grey key which does work?

They could be completely the wrong keys if the pattern is different - in which case go back to your dealer (assuming this is a recent purchase that is). They may have the correct keys sitting in the key cupboard somewhere. But if not, I'm sorry to say, things might get very expensive as without a working master key you can't cut/program others to suit your locks and ignition.

Mike

The other keys I have dont even fit the car.... Im now starting to think that I have been stitched up.......

Ive just spoken to my very friendly and helpful local Lexus garage... they have advised that cos I havent got a master key they cant supply me with any additional keys and I cant get anymore cut..... Im feeling even more upset now ........

Does anymore know if I buy a fob from somewhere like eBay can I re-program ???? Im worried about doing it because my 1st introduction to the World of Lexus isnt going to good at the moment.

To crown it all as well someone smashed my door mirror this morning on the way to work, luckly the case is all Ok but Ive been told that the glass will cost £65.40 plus VAT

:crybaby::crybaby::crybaby::sad::sad:

Yes that is correct unfortunately - you need to have one master key to be able to program others (security issue)

Therefore the only solution is new keys and new locks - which if I remember correctly from when mine were done cost around £1500 :sick:

I'd hassle whoever you bought the car from to find the proper keys - if that doesn't work, a much more cost effective approach would simply be to get an aftermarket alarm and immobiliser and continue using the key you've got (and maybe get another cut so you have a spare)

Yes that is correct unfortunately - you need to have one master key to be able to program others (security issue)

Therefore the only solution is new keys and new locks - which if I remember correctly from when mine were done cost around £1500 :sick:

I'd hassle whoever you bought the car from to find the proper keys - if that doesn't work, a much more cost effective approach would simply be to get an aftermarket alarm and immobiliser and continue using the key you've got (and maybe get another cut so you have a spare)

Thanks for the info, I guess my day couldnt get any worse after that news !!!

So I can still go and get another key cut then??.. cos Lexus said I couldnt, but then I guess they would say that to try and get £1,500 out of me !

I was getting worried that if I lost that key I would be stuffed

how strange how i spotted this topic after coming on here to post about exactly the same thing.

I have an aftermarket transponder key and not the remote keys.. after spending 150 quid on a new lexus key i found out that i cannot programme the keys transponders to my car... the central locking is fine.. just cannot start the car. I too have been stitched up with keys.

stupid of Lexus not to be able to order extra keys even if we have to prove ownership.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links