Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

BOSCH and Valeo blades are very good, thankfully our RX300 came with a fresh set of wiper blades all round when we bought it - invoice shows a cost of £31 (methinks) for the front pair alone - which isn't bad considering our last car (E46 330i) had blades comparable in cost. Doesn't justify the cost IMHO, but when comparing 'like-with-like' the cost is not exorbitant.

• 3 years later...

I have a 2003 RX300 and I use TRICO EX350 (14" or 350mm) from my local motor factors - Andrew Page for £5.26 including VAT. That's for the whole wiper - not just a rubber refill. They are a perfect match for the original and fit in seconds.

I never understood the 'replacing of the rubber insert alone' argument (other than from a cost POV) because its so fiddly and if you get it wrong, can tear/damage the insert. With the actual blade itself subject the same wear and tear as the rubber itself, surely you'd want to replace the entire wiper blade to ensure good surface contact and quiet, smooth sweep?

Each to their own though - this rubber insert swapping seems to be an American thing ...

I never understood the 'replacing of the rubber insert alone' argument (other than from a cost POV) because its so fiddly and if you get it wrong, can tear/damage the insert. With the actual blade itself subject the same wear and tear as the rubber itself, surely you'd want to replace the entire wiper blade to ensure good surface contact and quiet, smooth sweep?

Each to their own though - this rubber insert swapping seems to be an American thing ...

Based on my experience with an LS400 I cannot see the difference, as far as fiddly is concerned - last year I bought the blades & rubber and asked Lexus would they kindly install them - the very helpful guy agreed ("No problem, sir"....) and went out to the car returning some 5 minutes later to inform me that they needed to take the car into the workshop to do the job. Twenty minutes later, job done and no, there was no charge - I think they were a bit embarrassed! So, let say it took them 10 minutes - I don't want to think how long it would take me! Have just bought the rubbers this year and will begin by fiddling myself just to see - substantial price difference but only worth it if I succeed. In the meantime where would you draw the line (POV) - Porsche wanted £75 just for the two front ones! Not clear why and what is your basis for the "...American thing" throwaway remark - I suppose just the Clarkson perspective that all American automotive items are not much good which doesn't explain why he bought that Ford GT - put your money...., but as you say, each to....

Not clear why and what is your basis for the "...American thing" throwaway remark...

My basis is my experince having lived out there (and do so currently albeit less so as I flit between UK/US) that 'out there' you buy the rubber inserts as a matter of routine and course. Almost every manufacturer provides rubber inserts. Should you want to buy the entire assembly, you get stared at like you had asked for something bizarre.

By comparison, pop into your local Ford/Toyota/Honda Dealer in the UK and ask them for the rubber inserts only - I bet that sends them scratching around looking for the part # and cost (if indeed you can buy jsut the rubber inserts) - as opposed to you walking in and asking for the entire assembly.

My comment was not meant disparingly, but rather more as an observation of how replacing wiper rubber can differ between the two markets. I find it much easier to replace the entire assembly rather than fiddle with the rubber.

• 2 weeks later...

For years I had bought a pair of new frames and blades for my cars as a kit of two (a pair). When the RX needed a rear one, I bought the frame with blade fitted. It was in a Toyota bag.

When new fronts were needed I bought some Bosch (my usual fave brand) from a mail order place. They were too short, and the fitting was the wrong type! Went to Lexus, who (as above) happily fitted new blade rubber for nothing - cost about £8 for one! Bargain, and they have lasted 30,000 miles and over 2 years. My Honda ones are worn out after the first heavy downpour and half-an-hours use - rubbish quality.

Very few Lexus items appear over-priced, though I am saving up to get radio repaired.

• 2 years later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links