Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Skid Pan

Claire G

PeterB has recently attended a skid pan course and thoroughly rated it.

I'm interested in doing a course and if anyone else is interested in a skid pan day, please post below so I can get an idea on numbers (and dates - when's best for you?) and contact them.

It only works out about £60 per person at the place in Croydon (I think Thruxton do one too, again what's best for you all?)

http://www.nationaldrivingcentre.co.uk/p3_skidpan.html

Here's an excerpt from PeterB's post, take a look to get an idea of what's involved:

We drove a front drive Primera with ABS switched on and off and a rear drive Sierra without ABS. We had 30 mins in a classroom plus 90 or so in the cars. Cost was £120 for the two of us.

Instructors were both ex-Police and the skidpan and training are apparently modelled on Hendon. Slipperiness comes from an oil/water mix and there are different road surfaces. The pan itself is quite small, but I never found this to be a problem and they made a fuss of it being purpose-built.

The course covered various techniques, including:

- thinking about “exit routes” (e.g. mounting a clear pavement) rather than just braking;

- learning to feel when the back is going to let go;

- correcting rear-wheel skids in both FWD and RWD cars;

- taking effective lines into and out of corners to minimise chances of skid;

- using ABS effectively to steer around an obstacle;

- cadence breaking;

- steering out of a locked-wheels skid by releasing break pedal.

We learned a lot and had a good time. Even Mrs B, who was reluctant to go, has been telling all her friends about it.

• 2 weeks later...

I've rung the Skid Pan place and the course seems quite good.

It's 2 hours in total equating to 1/2 hr in the class room and 1.5hrs driving. They usually do classes on a Saturday but this is booked right up until May. For a group booking though they'll open on a Sunday and will be flexible on dates.

It's usually £70 pp, but as we'll be doing a group booking, they'll put this down to £60pp (cash or cheques on the day only).

To maximise driving time and minimise the annoying hanging-around, they will take a maximum of 8 people. There's 6 of us here who have expressed an interest, so it's first come first served for the last 2 places.

Everyone still up for this? How about Sunday 31st March? Please let me know if this is an ok date, or post your alternatives here.

Thanks

Steve (West Mids) has just saved me from major hassle from my mum and mum-in-law! Sun 30th March is Mothering Sunday :withstupid:

Shall we make it Sunday 6th April?!?!?!

Sounds good to me! :D

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links

Lexus Owners Club Powered by Invision Community

eBay Disclosure: As the club is an eBay Partner, the club may earn commision if you make a purchase via the clubs eBay links.

DISCLAIMER: Lexusownersclub.co.uk is an independent Lexus forum for owners of Lexus vehicles. The club is not part of Lexus UK nor affiliated with or endorsed by Lexus UK in any way. The material contained in the forums is submitted by the general public and is NOT endorsed by Lexus Owners Club, ACI LTD, Lexus UK or Toyota Motor Corporation. The official Lexus website can be found at http://www.lexus.co.uk